- CyberGhost has now reached version 8 and brought a series of important changes to its VPN service, which affect both privacy and security features.
- We've already taken a look under the hood, so if you want to find out more about CyberGhost 8, keep on reading our review.
- Join our CyberGhost VPN Troubleshooting Hub to fix any problems you might encounter with this VPN.
- Visit our VPN Hub to learn more about how VPNs can help you protect your online privacy.
CyberGhost VPN recently got a big update, transitioning to version 8, and we’re already under the hood, ready to review it.
Nowadays, using a VPN is more common than ever, considering the increasing number of cyber-attacks and privacy violations.
Therefore, it’s quite important that trustworthy VPN providers such as CyberGhost to update and improve its service on a regular basis.
As cyber-attackers get more crafty by the day and privacy breaches become more common, protecting you from malicious agents is no easy task.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at the CyberGhost VPN 8 review and learn how it can help you protect your privacy and secure your connection.
What’s new in CyberGhost VPN 8?
- Connection features have been improved and reworked
- New Privacy features have been implemented
- The Servers list view has been changed and is now based on cities
- OpenVPN library has been updated to version 2.5.0
- You can now remove a Dedicated IP straight from the app
- Notification delivery on the Security Suite has been reworked
- CyberGhost 8 VPN client detects and switches to the best MTU value on a device basis
- The default MTU values for IPv4 and IPv6 connections have been changed
- Several VPN and Security Suite addons issues have been fixed
- Added the changelog feature, which you can now access in the Settings section of the VPN client
According to the in-app release notes, there are no new major features brought by version 8 of CyberGhost VPN.
How to use CyberGhost VPN 8
- Purchase a CyberGhost subscription plan
- Download the VPN client on your PC
- Install CyberGhost VPN
- Launch the VPN client
- Log into your account
- Click the Best server location button
- Choose your favorite server from the list
- Enjoy private, secure Internet browsing
Note that instead of choosing a server manually, you can simply press the large power button on CyberGhost 8’s main window.
The VPN client will automatically detect the best server for you and connect to it.
You’ll notice that if you use the Best server location option, CyberGhost will connect you to a server that’ near your physical location most of the time.
That’s mainly because distance plays a big part in determining your connection’s speed; nearby servers are often the fastest ones.
Streaming, torrenting, and dedicated VPN servers
CyberGhost offers a series of regular VPN servers, much like any other similar service on the market.
However, what makes CyberGhost VPN stand out are its special servers, carefully organized in relevant categories.
You can view a complete list of CyberGhost VPN‘s servers, but you can also access them based on your activity profile.
CyberGhost offers Dedicated IP servers, but you’ll need to purchase this option, receive a token, and paste it in the appropriate section of the VPN client.
Additionally, you can also connect to P2P-optimized (torrenting) servers, and even dedicated streaming servers, if you need to.
A rundown of the CyberGhost VPN protocols
CyberGhost supports multiple security protocols to help you encrypt traffic and keep it safe.
You can find them in the CyberGhost VPN section of the Settings screen. The protocols supported by CyberGhost are as follows:
- OpenVPN – arguably the most popular VPN protocol that offers great security, speed, and compatibility
- IKEv2 – generally faster than OpenVPN, but might not be compatible with all systems
- WireGuard – newest VPN protocol, reportedly the fastest, most secure one you could use
If you can’t decide which protocol you’re going to stick with, CyberGhost 8 also offers you an Automatic selection choice in the VPN protocol menu.
Furthermore, there are various other settings you can customize.
For instance, you can force the VPN client to use TCP instead of UDP to avoid TCP traffic restrictions and increase the reliability of your connection.
Additionally, it’s possible to use a random port to connect, disable IPv6 connections, and repair your virtual network card from the same menu.
Privacy settings and smart rules
To enhance your VPN experience, CyberGhost offers some extra privacy settings. Namely:
- Block content – helps you block DNS domains that are used for malware, trackers, and ads
- Automatic kill switch – blocks any Internet traffic if your VPN connection fails, to prevent accidental data leaks
- Prevent DNS leaks – makes use of CyberGhost’s private nameservers to avoid DNS leaks
Moreover, you can define a series of rules to create your own privacy triggers.
CyberGhost lets you connect to a VPN server automatically when launching the client, and even launch a third-party app after CyberGhost has been launched.
You can also set rules for connecting to secured and unsecured Wi-Fi networks, manage exceptions, and define individual app rules.
Is CyberGhost VPN 8 worth the price?
Although the latest version is not groundbreaking by any means, CyberGhost VPN remains one of the best VPNs on the market, thanks to its zero-logging policy and great privacy/security features.
It’s also fast, granted that you select an appropriate combo of protocols and servers to use.
More importantly, you can test CyberGhost for one day, entirely free, no credit card information required.
This is crucial for new users who are not ready to commit to purchasing a VPN subscription plan without getting to try it first.
If you’re convinced that this is the VPN you want to stick with, here’s how to get it.
CyberGhost VPNTake CyberGhost VPN 8 for a spin, amp up your online privacy, and unblock unlimited streaming services!
FAQ: Learn more about CyberGhost VPN
- Is CyberGhost VPN free?
No, CyberGhost VPN isn’t free. But you can use it for free for one day on Windows and for seven days on Android and iOS. Check out the hottest CyberGhost VPN deals.
- Does CyberGhost VPN really work?
CyberGhost VPN is one of the fastest VPNs on the market. It really unblocks blocked streaming services, like Netflix US and BBC iPlayer.
- Is CyberGhost VPN legal?
Yes, it’s legal to use CyberGhost VPN in most countries, including the US. But you can get banned for using a VPN in several parts of the world, such as North Korea.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in November 2018 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.