- When it comes to instant communication, Slack is one of the best tools for that purpose.
- Deleting messages in Slack is simple and in this article we’ll show you how to delete messages individually or in bulk.
- Managing your team isn’t easy, but if you’re looking for tools that can help you with that, we advise you to check out our productivity software section.
- If you’re interested more in Slack, head over to our Slack section for more Slack guides.
You’re no stranger to the immediate feel of regret after sending a Slack message you shouldn’t have. Luckily, by default, all members can edit and delete Slack messages or thread replies.
If you ask us, changing your mind is not a mark of weakness or anything like that. It just happens to send a message and realize that you’ve done it by mistake.
One of the best selling points of Slack remains its versatility. It enables users to delete a message they might have unintentionally sent.
Workspace owners can also decide who can delete messages. It’s either everyone or only workspace owners and admins.
Assuming no changes have been made by them, follow the steps described here to make the sender’s remorse go away in an instant.
How can I delete Slack messages?
- Open Slack in the desktop app.
- Click the Sign in button on the upper-right corner of your screen, and sign in to any of your workspaces.
- Click a direct message on the left panel.
- Hover over the message you’d like to delete in the conversation.
- Click the More actions icon.
- Click Delete message.
- To complete the procedure, finally select Delete.
Note: If you don’t see the option to edit or delete a message, then contact an owner or admin for help.
How can I delete Slack messages in bulk?
- Open Slack‘s desktop app on your computer.
- You may also open Slack in an Internet browser in case of not having the app.
- Type slack.com in the address bar, and hit the ↵ Enter key on your keyboard.
- Click the Sign in button on the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Now, click the cog (top right).
- Choose Additional options to bring up the archival menu.
- Select Set the channel message retention policy.
- Set Retain all messages for a specific number of days. For example, if you set a retention policy of one week, all messages in the channel or direct messages will be deleted after seven days.
- Click Save.
- Then, click Apply Settings.
For anyone else who’s interested in deleting Slack messages in bulk, we’ve compiled a step-by-step guide on how you can easily perform this task too.
You’ll never see those “10k limit reached” notifications again and that might just be music to your years.
That’s it for now. Hope that you successfully followed the steps here detailed and deleting Slack messages is no longer a mystery. Just remember that you can never restore deleted messages in a chat, so proceed with care.
As for channel messages from bots created for your workspace, these ones can be deleted by workspace owners and admins only.
FAQ: Learn more about Slack
- Can you delete Slack history?
You can delete Slack history using the Slack archive page. If you want a more efficient solution, check out slack-cleaner project on GitHub.
- Does deleting a message on slack Unsend it?
By deleting the message on Slack, the message will disappear for both you and the recipient.
- Can you recover deleted Slack messages?
No, Slack messages are unrecoverable once you delete them.
- How do you permanently delete conversations on Slack?
Locate the message that you want to remove and click three dots icon next to it. Select Delete message > Delete.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.