Say you’re trying to run Disk Defragmenter and you receive the following message Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program. What do we do now? In today’s article, we’re going to tackle this issue and show you how to fix it once and for all.
How to fix Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program error?
- Use trusted third-party software solution
- Repair your drive
- Close all running Applications
- Schedule the Utility
- Reinstall Disk Defragmenter
1. Use trusted third-party software solution
Another solution is to reinstall your drive. To do this, input Device Manager in the Windows 10 search box, locate the disk drives tab and double click it. Select the disk with hard drive failure and uninstall the drive. After you restart your PC and connect the hard drive, the drivers will reinstall automatically.
There are other ways to repair your corrupted disk and prevent your PC from experiencing common Windows errors.
For a thorough and secure disk repair process, we recommend using a trusted third-party software solution that provides you with the right instruments for this type of issue.
2. Repair your drive
Your disk might be damaged, and that might be the cause for Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program error.
- Open My Computer and right click on the drive you want to defragment.
- Select Properties and click on the Tools tab.
- Select Check now to check the disk for errors.
- Select both options and click Start.
- Wait till the process is over and restart your machine.
3. Close all running applications
Sometimes other applications can cause Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program error. To fix it, it’s advised to close all these applications by doing the following:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select Start Task Manager.
- Right under the Processes tab, you will find a list of all running applications, which you can close by selecting End Task option. Be cautious not to end tasks that are essential for Windows to run at optimal efficiency.
4. Schedule the Utility
If the Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program error is still there, let’s try doing some modification on its settings.
- Type Windows + R, type taskschd.msc in the dialogue box and press Enter.
- Follow this path: Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Defrag.
- Double-click on the task to change the trigger settings. If the task is disabled, right-click it and select Enable.
- Click on the Triggers tab and click on New to set a new time trigger.
- Now you can set the schedule to whatever suits your needs. You can set it to trigger on Daily or Weekly basis and so on. After you’re done setting the trigger time, click OK to save changes and exit.
- Restart your computer.
5. Reinstall Disk Defragmenter
Sometimes, when all else fails, the best solution is to simply reinstall the faulty program. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu.
- Type %Windir%Inf in the Search section and press Enter.
- In the window that opens, find the file named dfrg.inf.
- Right-click on dfrg.inf and select Install.
- Wait till it’s done and close the window, and you should be all set.
If malware is the culprit, we advise you to run the latest antivirus and scan your system.
If your disk doesn’t meet the minimum requirement of free space to perform defragmentation, we suggest you clean up any unwanted files or programs.
We hope that these solutions were helpful and that you managed to fix Disk Defragmenter was scheduled using another program error.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Full Fix: Disk Defragmenter Won’t Run in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Fixed: Progress is Slow When you Defragment a CSV Volume in Windows 8.1, 10
- Top 6 Defrag Tools to Remove Hard Drive Clutter on Windows 10