- If your monitor is blurry and distorted on Windows 10, it's undoubtedly due to some GPU-related error.
- To remove the screen distortion on Windows 10, you should first update your OS.
- Updating your display drivers is also highly recommended. Again, you can use a third-party tool for this.
- You can also fix the distorted screen on Windows 10 by changing your monitor's refresh rate.
Windows 10 is the latest Operating System, and Microsoft constantly resolves any potential issues to make the user experience as smooth as possible.
One of the more annoying issues is distorted display after the update to Windows 10, but worry not, because few solutions can help you resolve this issue.
According to users, these issues manifest when watching online videos, and the picture gets cut in half, and one side gets covered by horizontal lines and becomes distorted.
This guide will show you how to fix this issue with relative ease.
Why does my computer screen look distorted?
Like most issues with Windows 10, it’s usually the driver incompatibility with Windows 10. However, there are different variations of this error with varying causes.
Below are some of the prevalent ones as reported by users:
- Windows 10 display stretched: Many users reported that their display is stretched on Windows 10. This is usually caused by your display or graphics card settings, so be sure to change them to fix the problem.
- Computer screen distorted lines: This problem can appear due to a corrupted driver or faulty graphics card. If installing the default drivers doesn’t help, be sure to check if your graphics card is faulty.
- Windows 10 screen distortion: Screen distortion can appear for various reasons, and sometimes the problem might be a third-party application. Applications that modify the user interface can cause this issue, so be sure to remove them.
- Distorted monitor display problems: These problems can appear on any PC, and if you encounter this issue, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Distorted display after Windows update: In some cases, this problem can appear after a Windows update. To fix the issue, you need to find and remove the problematic update. In addition, it’s a good idea to block the update from installing again.
How do I fix a distorted display on Windows 10?
1. Install the latest Windows updates
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Choose the Update & Security option.
- Click on the Check for updates button.
- Now, click Download and install if there are updates available. The screen flickering after sleep in Windows 11 issue will be fixed.
Sometimes installing the necessary Windows updates can fix the screen distortion issue on Windows 10. So, just reach for the Settings app, and see if there are any updates available at the moment:
You’re minimizing compatibility issues by installing Windows 10 updates; if Microsoft has fixed this issue, it’s available in Windows 10.
2. Update drivers
2.1. Update driver manually
- Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
- Double-click the adapter to update drivers to expand it.
- Right-click on the driver to update and select Update driver.
- Click the Search automatically for drivers option.
- Now, install any available update. The computer monitor flickers on and off at startup issue will be solved.
Sometimes the screen distortion issue is caused by your display driver that isn’t compatible with Windows 10, so you need to down load the latest drivers for your graphics card and motherboard.
Just head to the Device Manager and check if your graphics card drivers are up to date.
2.2. Update drivers automatically
Updating your drivers manually is quite tedious and requires some background knowledge. Moreover, there is also the possibility of installing the wrong driver or an incompatible one.
Therefore, we recommend downloading this driver updater tool (100% safe and tested by us) to do it automatically. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your computer.
- Download and install the Outbyte Driver Updater app.
- Launch the software and wait for the app to detect all incompatible drivers.
- Now, it will show you a list of all outdated drivers to select the ones to Update or Ignore.
- Click on Update & Apply Selected to download and install the latest versions.
- Restart your PC to ensure the applied changes.
Outbyte Driver UpdaterMaintain your device healthy by letting OutByte Driver Updater find the latest driver options.
3. Install the drivers in compatibility mode
- Right-click the driver setup file and select Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab, check the Run this program in compatibility mode, and select the operating system from the list.
- Click OK to save changes. This is how to fix widescreen monitor distortion issues in Windows 10.
If Windows 10 drivers aren’t available, you need to download the latest ones and install them in compatibility mode. Then, you’re done, try installing the driver again.
4. Roll back your display driver
- Press Windows key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Double-click the Display adapters option to expand it.
- Right-click the driver there and select Properties.
- Now, click the Driver tab at the top.
- Lastly, click the Roll Back Driver button.
Sometimes you can encounter screen distortion problems due to your drivers. For example, your display driver might be corrupted, leading to this problem.
However, you can fix this issue simply by rolling back to an older display driver. This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
If the Roll Back isn’t available, you’ll need to remove the driver. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Device Manager and expand the Display adapters option.
- Locate your display driver, right-click it and choose Uninstall device from the menu.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device option and click the Uninstall button.
- Once the driver is removed, restart your PC.
When your PC restarts, Windows will automatically install the default driver, and the problem should be resolved.
Remember that this method might not permanently remove all files associated with your display driver.
5. Change the refresh rate
- Press the Windows key + I to launch the Settings app.
- Select the System option in the left pane.
- Click the Advanced display option under Multiple displays.
- Now, click Display adapter properties for Display 1.
- From here, choosedriver’siver’s control panel at the top.
- Change your refresh rate to another value.
The problem might be your refresh rate if you face the screen distortion issue on Windows 10. Several users reported fixing the problem simply by changing their monitor refresh rate.
We must warn you that changing the refresh rate can lead to specific problems, so be careful. For example, users reported changing their refresh rate from 60Hz to 61Hz to solve the problem.
This solution is also helpful if you face display issues on Windows 10 when using multiple monitors. Lastly, the available refresh rate depends on your graphics card. So be careful of setting a custom value that is higher than the maximum one your card can handle.
6. Reset your BIOS to default
Sometimes this screen distortion problem on Windows 10 can occur after overclocking your PC. This is because Overclocking stresses your GPU, causing it to overheat. This is even more true if you see the distorted screen on startup.
However, you can fix the problem simply by resetting BIOS to the last known exemplary configuration.
To see how to access BIOS and reset it to default, we advise you to check your motherboard manual for detailed instructions.
Note: You need to be extra careful when you use the BIOS as it’s the process allowing the booting of your PC. If you screw up, you won’t be able to boot. So make sure you do everything right.
7. Inspect your monitor
Sometimes, your computer screen might show a distorted line if your monitor cable is damaged, and as a result, it doesn’t connect to your PC for video input.
To fix the issue, inspect all your cables to ensure they are tightly connected. You can also try replacing your lines or testing a different monitor.
Several users suggest fixing the screen distortion issue on Windows 10 by changing your monitor settings. Press the Settings button on your monitor and restore all values to default.
8. Remove problematic applications
- Launch the Settings app.
- Select the Apps option.
- Locate the app to uninstall and click on it.
- Now, click the Uninstall button and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the removal.
Many users tend to use applications that modify their user interface. Although they can achieve some visually impressive results with these applications, specific issues can occur.
Users suspect that the screen distortion problems on Windows can occur due to that third-party applications, so you must remove them.
There are several ways to remove those applications, but if you want to remove them entirely, it’s advised to use uninstaller software.
Uninstaller software can remove any application from your PC, but it will also remove all files and registry entries associated with this application.
9. Check your graphics card
Sometimes, your monitor might be blurry and distorted because of a problem with your graphics card. According to users, a faulty graphics card can cause this problem.
To determine if your graphics card is faulty, check if this problem appears outside Windows, in BIOS, or during the boot sequence.
How do I fix screen distortion on Windows 11?
Like on Windows 10, the screen distortion issue on Windows 11 is usually caused by driver problems. You can effectively fix it by updating your drivers with a dedicated tool.
Another option to fix this problem would be to roll back your display drivers. You can also try all the solutions in our guide to fixing this screen distortion issue.
Why is my laptop going fuzzy?
If your laptop is going fuzzy, it is likely due to the wrong screen resolution settings. Also, it might be a driver issue that you can quickly fix with the steps in the guide.
Another area to check is outdated BIOS or display drivers. You can fix this by downloading the latest BIOS version from the manufacturer’s website.
The screen distortion issue on Windows 10 and 11 can have devastating effects. Fortunately, it is pretty easy to fix, with guidance from a detailed guide such as this.
Are you facing other issues as the screen shifted to the right on Windows 10/11? Then, check our detailed guide on how to fix it effortlessly.
Finally, please contact the comment section below if you have any comments or suggestions.