- Microsoft Digital Image was a popular tool that could help you perform edits on your digital images
- This software has been discontinued, but you can still get it from third-party sources.
- Discontinued software isn’t always the best option, but there are many great alternatives that you can consider.
- To install Microsoft Digital Image on Windows 10, you just need to download it and run the setup file, and it should work right out of the box.
Microsoft Digital Image was a rather popular digital image editing software from Microsoft. This tool has achieved great popularity due to its simplicity, but many users are concerned that this tool won’t run on Windows 10 properly.
Microsoft Digital Image was discontinued by Microsoft, and some of its features were implemented to other tools.
The last version of this tool was released in 2006, and in 2007 the development of this software was permanently cancelled.
Since this a rather old software, we wanted to know, can Microsoft Digital Image run on Windows 10?
Can Microsoft Digital Image run on Windows 10?
Try Adobe Lightroom as an alternative
Running software which has been discontinued can be dangerous, as no more security patches will be delivered and you’ll be putting yourself at risk. While you can still download and install Microsoft Digital Image on Windows 10, we highly recommend using Adobe Lightroom.
Lightroom is an industry-leading photo editor which goes hand-in-hand with Adobe Photoshop and all the other apps in the Creative Cloud. You can quickly edit RAW photos and bring back detail, change focus and much more. Most professional photographers swear by it as the best tool to do image corrections.
Here are just a few of the things you can do with Lightroom:
- Merge photos together to create HDR panoramas and fill in uneven edges
- Easily create and share albums
- Add metadata to photos
- Seamless transition between platforms, including mobile
- Do batch editing and quickly enhance photos with the power of your GPU
Adobe Lightroom is a great software for image editing and management, and it’s intended for both beginners and professionals.
Download and install Microsoft Digital Image
- Download Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006
- Launch the setup executable and follow the instructions
- Authorize the UAC (User Account Control) if necessary
- If you’re trying to install it on a 64-bit OS, skip the error by clicking OK
- When you receive the MS Internet Explorer 6.0 error, do not click OK
- From your Start menu, click your user icon and select Sign Out
- Wait a few seconds, and click Cancel
- Click the OK button in the error dialogue
- The installation will now complete without an issue
Bear in mind that you’ll be installing a Starter Edition, so you might miss certain features. If you have your own copy of Microsoft Digital Image on a CD, you can use it to install the software as well.
Some users claim that Microsoft Digital Image is running without issues on Windows 10, and we can confirm that we have successfully installed Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006 by following the steps above.
If Microsoft Digital Image isn’t working on Windows 10 for you, you might have to choose an alternative solution.
We already wrote about the top 7 photo viewer software for Windows 10, and many of these tools come with built-in editing features that allow you to edit as well as view and organize your pictures.
This is the simplest way to download Microsoft Digital Image for free on Windows 10, but for the best experience, you might want to try some of the other alternatives below.
PhotoScape is a simple image editing tool that allows you to easily edit your pictures. This tool lets you change image size, adjust brightness, contrast, remove red eyes, add text and much more. There’s also an option for Batch editing available, so you can easily edit multiple photos.
With PhotoScape you can also combine multiple pictures into one or even slice a picture into several pieces if you wish to do so. In addition, there’s an ability to create animated gifs, add frames and filters and much more.
If you can’t install Microsoft Digital Image on Windows 10, be sure to get PhotoScape since it’s a great alternative with all the features you need.
Fly Free Photo Editing & Viewer
Fly Free Photo Editing & Viewer is another tool similar to Microsoft Digital Image. This tool allows you to view your photos and to create slideshows. In addition, you can use Fly Free Photo Editing & Viewer tool to resize or crop pictures, perform brightness and color adjustments, add text, and much more.
There’s also a batch resize feature that allows you to easily resize multiple pictures simultaneously. It’s worth mentioning that we had some minor issues with this software, but we fixed that by running the application in Compatibility mode.
Microsoft Digital Image might be discontinued, but if you have your own copy on a CD, you can try to install it on Windows 10. Alternatively, you can download and install the Starter Edition as we did.
If Microsoft Digital Image doesn’t work on on your computer, feel free to try some of the alternatives that we mentioned above.
Frequently Asked Questions
In short, nothing did. Microsoft Digital Image was the successor of Microsoft Picture It!, but it wasn’t discontinued to make room for another tool. You can replace it with many other image editors, such as GIMP.
Yes, but you will have to follow the steps we’ve described in our article very closely. Otherwise, you’ll bump into the same error over and over again.
Digital image processing is processing digital images through an algorithm by using a computer. You can find out more about it in our dedicated digital photo section.