Fix: Photos App Problems in Windows 10
In case you have any problems with Windows 10 Photos app, we’ve prepared a couple of solutions that should make your life easier.
Ever since Microsoft introduced the new Photos app along with Windows 10, users have been finding it strange to accustom to the new app, instead of the standard Photo Viewer. On top of that, the new app also caused a lot of issues to users, which makes it even less attractive.
So, if you’ve recently encountered any issue with Windows 10 Photos app, just keep reading this article for potential solutions.
Photos App issues in Windows 10
Solution 1 – Update Windows
Most of the time, you can’t really do anything about the problem, because it’s system-related. If that’s the case, Microsoft will eventually come up with the solution. So, all you need to do is update your system, and if the fix is available, you’ll receive it through Windows Update.
Windows updates should be installed automatically, but you can also check manually, if you don’t want to wait for the system to do it.
To update Windows, simply go to the Settings app > Updates & security, and check for updates. If the fixing patch is available, it will be installed on your computer.
Solution 2 – Update the Photos app
The same thing applies to the app itself. If there’s some component of the Photos app that conflicts with your system, developers will probably find a solution for it. But instead of Windows Update, the fix might be delivered to you through the app update.
To update Windows 10 Photos app, simply go to the Windows Store, open the Store Page of Windows 10 Photos, and check for updates. If there are new updates available, they’ll get installed on your computer automatically.
Solution 3 – Restore libraries to default
Windows 10 Photo app is connected with libraries in your File Explorer, so if there’s some problem in libraries, the app won’t show any photos and videos. To solve this problem, you have to restore libraries to default, and hopefully, everything will work again. Here’s how to do that:
- Open File Explorer (you can open it from Start Menu, Search or taskbar)
- Click on View tab
- Click on Navigation pane and choose Show Libraries
- In the left pane right-click on Libraries and click on Restore default libraries
Open your Photos app again, and you should be able to see images. If you’re unable to even open the Photos app, follow the next solution.
Solution 4 – Delete outdated registry keys
If app and system updates didn’t get the job done, it’s time for more serious measures. First, we’re going to try and fix some outdated registry keys. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Go to search, type regedit, and open Registry Editor
- Navigate to the following path:
- HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesLocal SettingsSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionAppModelRepositoryFamiliesMicrosoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe
- Here, you should see a couple of entries, each of which contains a version number (Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2017.35071.13510.0). If there are more than three entries, that means the outdated keys remained after the update. So, remove the outdated entries, and leave only the most recent three entries. But you cannot just delete it, as you need to get permissions to do so. And here’s what you should do:
- Select one old entry, right-click it, and choose Properties
- Go to Security > Permission tab
- Choose Advanced from the Select User or Group window
- Select Find Now, enter your username, and click OK
- Now, you can select the old entry, and delete it
- Repeat the process for each one of the old entries
- Reboot your computer
Solution 5 – Run app troubleshooter
Windows 10 Creators update introduced a new useful tool for dealing with various system problems simply called Troubleshooter. Besides other issues, this tool can also be used for dealing with Windows Apps, including Photos.
Here’s how to run Windows Troubleshooter:
- Open the Settings app
- Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot
- Select the Windows Store apps option, and choose Run the troubleshooter
- Follow further on-screen instructions to finish the process
- Reboot your computer
If there was any corrupt file in the Photos app, the troubleshooter should deal with it. However, if the problem remains, move on to another solution.
Solution 6 – Restore Apps package
If you’re unable to open Photos app (or any other Windows 10 app), you need to do something with PowerShell. Here’s exactly what you need to do to get your Photos app working again:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button and open Command Prompt (Admin)
- Enter the following line and press Enter: PowerShell
- Now, enter this command and press Enter:
- Restart your computer
Solution 7 – Restore the Photos app
And finally, if none of the above solutions managed to solve your problem, you can also try with restoring the Photo app itself. If you don’t know how to do that, just follow these instructions:
- Right-click the Start Menu, and select Windows PowerShell (Admin)
- Enter the following command, and press Enter:
- Finish the process and reboot your computer
This action will completely delete Windows 10 Photos app from your computer. So, you’ll need to install it again. To do so, simply go to the Windows Store, find the app, and install it.
Solution 8 – Try a third-party software [Update]
In order to get rid of this issue, you might consider changing to a third-party software. In that case, we strongly suggest downloading Photo Manager Deluxe or ACDSee Photo Editor (trial version). You will have fewer problems while managing your photos and more support. You can find more information about these and other photo managers in our dedicated article which gathers the best photo management software for Windows 10 users.
That’s all, your Photos app should work fine after performing these solutions. If you have any comments or questions, reach for our comments section below. Also, if you have any other Windows 10-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to Fix OneNote Problems in Windows 10
- Fix: ‘This app can’t run on your PC’ on Windows 10
- Fix: Application not responding in Windows 10
- Windows 10 Apps Won’t Open: Full Guide to Fix
- “Application.exe has stopped working” error in Windows 10 [Fix]
Using a reliable password is paramount if you want to keep your data safe. There have been numerous data leak and data breach reports in […]
Reports are being circulated that Microsoft intends to drop the People bar feature in the Windows 10 19H1 update. The original report came from a […]
A new and very nasty phishing attack has been doing the rounds, and it is extremely difficult to spot. Here is what you need to […]