- Is the Windows 10 Photos app giving you a hard time? Run the app troubleshooter or..
- Replace it! As simple as that - Go for an alternative solution that brings even more interesting features to the table such as Adobe Lightroom.
- Check our Photo Editors page fore more photo editing software that you will definitely enjoy.
- Always keep your OS in crisp condition and error-free thanks to our Windows 10 Errors Hub.
In case you have any problems with Windows 10 Photos app, we’ve prepared a couple of solutions that should make your life easier.
Ever since Microsoft introduced the new Photos app along with Windows 10, users have been finding it strange to accustom to the new app, instead of the standard Photo Viewer.
On top of that, the new app also caused a lot of issues to users, which makes it even less attractive.
So, if you’ve recently encountered an issue with Windows 10 Photos app, just keep reading this article for potential solutions.
How can I fix Photos App problems on Windows 10? You can quickly fix Windows 10 Photos app problems by updating the Photos App.
Most issues are triggered by outdated app versions. If this method fails to fix the issue, run the Windows Store App troubleshooter, and restore the app package.
For detailed instructions, follow the steps listed below.
How can I fix Photos app issues in Windows 10?
1. Update Windows
Most of the time, you can’t really do anything about the problem, because it’s system-related. If that’s the case, Microsoft will eventually come up with the solution.
So, all you need to do is update your system, and if the fix is available, you’ll receive it through Windows Update.
Windows updates should be installed automatically, but you can also check manually if you don’t want to wait for the system to do it.
To update Windows, simply go to the Settings app > Updates & security, and check for updates. If the fixing patch is available, it will be installed on your computer.
2. Download Adobe Lightroom
If downloading and installing the latest Windows updates did not solve your issue, you might want to consider a completely different solution from the start.
There are numerous software dedicated to photo management that can easily replace the Photos App and even bring more interesting features to the table such as photo editing features that you might find very useful.
And why not choose one that has a plethora of advantages and bonus tools?
Adobe Lightroom is a powerful tool that enables you to view, capture, edit, share, and organize photos with great ease.
By installing Lightroom you will be able to view and manage any number of photos, group your photos into albums, filter to easily find them, plus you get to choose who else can view, download, or add photos.
Its interface is highly intuitive and easy-to-use, nevertheless, if you are not thrilled by the idea of utilizing a new software, you will be pleased to hear that Lightroom comes with in-app step-by-step tutorials so you can learn the basics or master the latest features in no time.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Sensei-powered Search and Filter to find photos quickly
- Group photos into albums
- Sharing options
- Identify people in your photos
- Flag a photo, a pick or a reject
3. Update the Photos app
The same thing applies to the app itself. If there’s some component of the Photos app that conflicts with your system, developers will probably find a solution for it.
But instead of Windows Update, the fix might be delivered to you through the app update.
To update Windows 10 Photos app, simply go to the Windows Store, open the Store Page of Windows 10 Photos, and check for updates.
If there are new updates available, they’ll get installed on your computer automatically.
4. Restore libraries to default
Windows 10 Photo app is connected with libraries in your File Explorer, so if there’s some problem in libraries, the app won’t show any photos and videos.
To solve this problem, you have to restore libraries to default, and hopefully, everything will work again. Here’s how to do that:
- Open File Explorer (you can open it from Start Menu, Search or taskbar)
- Click on View tab.
- Click on Navigation pane and choose Show Libraries.
- In the left pane right-click on Libraries and click on Restore default libraries.
Open your Photos app again, and you should be able to see images. If you’re unable to even open the Photos app, follow the next solution.
5. Delete outdated registry keys
If the app and system updates didn’t get the job done, it’s time for more serious measures. First, we’re going to try and fix some outdated registry keys. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Go to search, type regedit, and open Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following path:
- Here, you should see a couple of entries, each of which contains a version number (Microsoft.Windows.Photos_2017.35071.13510.0). If there are more than three entries, that means the outdated keys remained after the update. So, remove the outdated entries, and leave only the most recent three entries. But you cannot just delete it, as you need to get permissions to do so. And here’s what you should do:
- Select one old entry, right-click it, and choose Properties.
- Go to Security > Permission tab.
- Choose Advanced from the Select User or Group window.
- Select Find Now, enter your username, and click OK.
- Now, you can select the old entry, and delete it.
- Repeat the process for each one of the old entries.
- Reboot your computer.
6. Run app troubleshooter
Windows 10 Creators update introduced a new useful tool for dealing with various system problems simply called Troubleshooter.
Besides other issues, this tool can also be used for dealing with Windows Apps, including Photos.
Here’s how to run Windows Troubleshooter:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Select the Windows Store apps option, and choose Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow further on-screen instructions to finish the process
- Reboot your computer
If there was any corrupt file in the Photos app, the troubleshooter should deal with it. However, if the problem remains, move on to another solution.
7. Restore Apps package
If you’re unable to open Photos app (or any other Windows 10 app), you need to do something with PowerShell. Here’s exactly what you need to do to get your Photos app working again:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: PowerShell.
- Now, enter this command and press Enter:
- Restart your computer
8. Restore the Photos app
And finally, if none of the above solutions managed to solve your problem, you can also try with restoring the Photo app itself. If you don’t know how to do that, just follow these instructions:
- Right-click the Start Menu, and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- Enter the following command, and press Enter:
- Finish the process and reboot your computer
This action will completely delete Windows 10 Photos app from your computer. So, you’ll need to install it again. To do so, simply go to the Windows Store, find the app, and install it.
9. Try a third-party software [Update]
You will have fewer problems while managing your photos and more support.
You can find more information about these and other photo managers in our dedicated article which gathers the best photo management software for Windows 10 users.
There are plenty of photo editing and photo management tools on the market. Each software solution is tailored to specific needs.
So, list the main reasons why you need a photo editing tool or a photo management software and then download the one that best suits those specific needs.
That’s all, your Photos app should work fine after performing these solutions. If you have any comments or questions, reach for our comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about the Windows Photos App
- What is the Windows photo app?
The Photos App is Windows’ built-in photo viewer that helps your store, view, and manage your pics into Collections, Albums, and Folders for easy access through a logical structure.
- How do I get the photo app on Windows 10?
Since it’s integrated in your operating system, you do not need to download the Photos App from a third-party source. In order to use the app, simply search for it in the Start Menu of your Windows 10 PC.
- How do I reset the photo app in Windows 10?
Open the Apps and Features option from the Start Menu and select Photos from the list. Then click on Advanced Options and finally press on Reset. Note that this action will delete all data from the Photos app.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.