Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Opera is one of the oldest browsers on the market that is still active today. In 2013, they released Opera Mail as a standalone email client but discontinued support in 2016.
- Users can still download Opera Mail for Windows 10 and 11, but it is no longer supported and does not receive updates or fixes.
- The protocol handlers settings allow users to change their default email in Opera Browser.
Opera was one of the first browsers to hit the web back in 1995, making it one of the oldest browsers still active today. Opera Mail was first introduced as an integrated feature of the browser before it became a standalone program in 2013. Here’s how to download the Opera email client for Windows 10 and 11.
Does Opera have an email client?
Yes, Opera does have an email client called Opera Mail that used to be integrated into the browser but later switch to a standalone program. However, Opera Mail is no longer supported and no longer receives updates or fixes, putting it at a security risk.
Users can still download and install the Opera email client for Windows 10 and 11 if they want to use it, but it’s recommended to take extra security precautions. If you want suggestions for the best antiviruses compatible with Windows 10 and 11, we have a guide on that.
How do I change my default Google account in Opera?
- Open Opera Browser and click the menu in the top left corner.
- Select Settings.
- Click on Advanced, then Privacy & security.
- Open Site Settings.
- Click Additional permissions to reveal more options then select Protocol handlers.
- Under Default behavior, make sure Sites can ask to handle protocols is checked.
- In a new tab go to your email account and log in. Click allow if Opera asks to make default.
If the sites can ask to handle protocols setting isn’t enabled, then Opera Browser won’t ask to make your email the default. If you have multiple email accounts, you can change the mailto defaults in the protocol handlers settings.
How do I download the Opera email client for Windows 10 &11?
1. From Opera’s index
- Open your browser and type get.opera.com/ftp/pub/opera/mail/1.0/ then hit enter.
- Select win/.
- Click Opera-Mail-1.0-1044.i386.exe to download Opera Mail.
- Follow the installation instructions.
As mentioned before, the last time Opera Mail was updated was in 2016 and it’s no longer supported, which is why it’s not easily available on Opera’s homepage. The Opera email client is a 32-bit program but it works fine with 64-bit Windows 10 or 11 operating systems.
2. From a trusted third-party site
There are third-party downloading websites that provide the link to install Opera Mail for Windows and macOS. However, be sure that the site you are downloading from can be 100% trusted. There are many scam websites that may seem reputable but are full of malware.
Make sure to research a site before downloading anything from it to avoid cyber-attacks. It’s recommended to get a program directly from its source if you can.
How do I access my Opera email?
- Click on Opera Mail in the top left corner.
- Select Mail Accounts.
- Click Add, then Email, and then click Next.
- Fill out the form and click Next.
- Enter your password for the corresponding email account and click Finish.
Users can import email accounts from apps like Thunderbird, Netscape, and more. However, if you have a Gmail or Yahoo mail account, add it as a regular mail (POP).
Once installed, the Opera email client is available as its own app. Users can pin it to their taskbar or have it on their desktop for easy access.
Hopefully, this guide helped you download the Opera email client to your Windows 10 or 11. If you’re interested in our picks for the best Windows 10 email clients, we have recommendations for that. Let us know in the comments below what you think of Opera Mail and if you wish they would bring it back.