Antivirus or anti-virus software is software used to prevent, detect and remove malware (of all descriptions), such as computer viruses, malicious BHOs, hijackers, ransomware, keyloggers, backdoors, rootkits, trojan horses, worms, malicious LSPs, dialers, fraud tools, adware, and spyware.
Computer security, including protection from social engineering techniques, is commonly offered in products and services of antivirus software companies.
Here are the most important features you should look for when choosing an antivirus.
Virus scanner and script blocking
The antivirus software will scan every new program and file before you open them and determine if it contains a malware or has a similar behavior. It can also perform a full system scan to check every bits and piece from your device in search of malicious or suspicious programs.
Check the system requirements and make sure that the antivirus scanner will not hog down your device. Depending on your computer specs and OS version, we have compiled a few well-documented lists to highlight the best antivirus that fits your needs.
- 5 best antivirus for gaming PCs
- 5 best antivirus for low specs Windows PCs
- 7 of the best antivirus for slow computers
- 8 best antivirus for Windows Vista
- 5 best antivirus software for Windows XP
- 5 best Windows 7 antivirus solutions
When it comes to malware attacks, we can definitely say that prevention is better than cure. This feature will allow you to protect the important files on your device from being encrypted in case of a ransomware attack. Find out more about preventing ransomware from our special articles:
- 3 best antivirus software for preventing ransomware
- 5 best laptop security software for ultimate protection
- 4 of the best antivirus with Wi-Fi protection for peace of mind
- Windows 10 SCU features a dedicated anti-ransomware module
- antivirus with website blocker/ web filtering
- 7 of the best antivirus for web browser hijacker
The firewall is an important feature as it prevents unauthorized access to or from a private computer network. Some Antivirus programs can scan and filter your internet traffic to protect your computer from incoming threats before they reach your system.
- 7 best antivirus with firewall
- Antivirus for online banking enhanced security
- Amazon Web Service to protect your cloud account
- Firewall devises to protect your home network
Looking at the differences between anti-virus and anti-spam, if we take them independently, we notice that antispam works fast but deal only with infected email and attachments. An antivirus is slow in comparison with anti-spam but will protect your computer from persistent and dangerous threats.
You might also find very useful to choose one of the best antivirus software with:
- multiple scanning engines
- boot scan to remove hidden malware
- low resource/CPU usage/small footprint
- adware removal tools to get rid of ad popups
- tune up to shield your computer
Data is one of the top priorities for any business in today’s digital age. There is a high risk of losing your data either because of a hard drive crash, or a device got infected with a virus or malware.
- Antivirus solutions for enterprise
- 5 best antivirus for external HDD
- 5 best antivirus for router protection
Many users will look for the basic features when they are not willing to invest in the security of their device. Find out here what are the Top 6 truly free antivirus programs or try one of the best security antiviruses with a trial version. Make an informed decision on choosing the best antivirus solution for your device!