You finally decided to switch from your old Windows OS, like Windows 7 or Windows XP, to the newer version like Windows 8.1. But when you try to activate your new operating system, an unexpected error 0x004F074 appears. Luckily, we prepared a couple of workarounds to help you get rid of this error.
Even if you enter the valid product key after you installed the fresh copy of your new Windows operating system, you might get an error that says you’re unable to contact Key Management Service (KMS). This error code goes by the number of 0x004F074 and users of both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 could face it. In order to fix this error, try some of the following solutions.
Use the Command Prompt
First, we’re going to try to eliminate this error using the Command Prompt with administrative rights. Here’s what you should do:
- Go to Search, type cmd, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- In the Command Prompt, enter the following line and press Enter:
- slmgr.vbs –ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (Xs represent digits of your product key)
- After that, enter this line and press Enter: slmgr.vbs –ato
- Close Command Prompt and restart your computer
That’s it, but if you still get the same error, try to activate your Windows by phone.
Activation by phone
To activate Windows using your mobile phone, do the following:
- Press Windows key + R to open Run command
- Enter slui 4
- Select your country and click Next
- On the next page, you’ll see phone numbers you should call. Make a call and enter Installation ID when they ask you to
- After that, enter the confirmation ID provided by the Microsoft Product Activation call center operator and then, click on Activate
That would be all, after performing one of these steps, you should be able to activate your Windows normally.