Fix: Error Code: 0x004F074 Prevents Windows From Activation
You finally decided to switch from your old Windows OS, like Windows 7 or Windows XP, to the newer version like Windows 8.1. But when you try to activate your new operating system, an unexpected error 0x004F074 appears. Luckily, we prepared a couple of workarounds to help you get rid of this error.
Even if you enter the valid product key after you installed the fresh copy of your new Windows operating system, you might get an error that says you’re unable to contact Key Management Service (KMS). This error code goes by the number of 0x004F074 and users of both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 could face it. In order to fix this error, try some of the following solutions.
Use the Command Prompt
First, we’re going to try to eliminate this error using the Command Prompt with administrative rights. Here’s what you should do:
- Go to Search, type cmd, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
- In the Command Prompt, enter the following line and press Enter:
- slmgr.vbs –ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (Xs represent digits of your product key)
- After that, enter this line and press Enter: slmgr.vbs –ato
- Close Command Prompt and restart your computer
That’s it, but if you still get the same error, try to activate your Windows by phone.
Activation by phone
To activate Windows using your mobile phone, do the following:
- Press Windows key + R to open Run command
- Enter slui 4
- Select your country and click Next
- On the next page, you’ll see phone numbers you should call. Make a call and enter Installation ID when they ask you to
- After that, enter the confirmation ID provided by the Microsoft Product Activation call center operator and then, click on Activate
That would be all, after performing one of these steps, you should be able to activate your Windows normally.
UPDATE FOR WINDOWS 10 USERS
1. Press “Windows” and the “R” on the keyboard
2. If the “Run” windows opened you can type in “Slui 3”
3. Press “Enter” and type your operating system product key
4. Click on “Activate”
5. Restart your computer
If you’re running a firewall program, this might prevent your OS from licensing files over the internet. You can try and disable it for a short while. This can fix your problem. Don’t forget that you can always contact the Microsoft Chat Support and they help you activate your Windows 10 over the phone.
Here’s a list from Microsoft with top reasons Windows 10 activation fails
- Not connected to the Internet
- Antivirus or Firewall utilities might be blocking product activation
- Your computer is behind a proxy server, disabling the proxy temporarily or using chat support can resolve this
- Your computer did not upgrade from a genuine version.
- The wrong edition is installed.
- Your computer is running a Volume License Client requiring access to a Key Management Server (KMS) to activate. This can usually be performed by logging onto your company’s domain or VPN.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT
- AutoKMS.exe : Here‘s how it works and how to remove it
- Full Fix: Windows 10 activation key not working
- Windows 10 activation errors: Why they occur and how to fix them
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on June 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
In the world of smartphones and busy people, a large chunk of the population relies heavily on sending SMS. Whether it’s a personal message or a […]
Error 0xca00a000 is a Windows Update error that arises for some users. The full error message states: 2018-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for […]