When installing or uninstalling a program, you may encounter the error performing inpage operation error. This error can also occur when performing a system restore using restore points. Several users have reported similar problems in the Microsoft community forum.
Every time I try to do something like trying to install or delete a program or use a program that would change the system
“system restore” for example I get an “error performing inpage operation” message.
If you are also troubled by this error, this is the article you need. In this article, we have listed a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the error performing inpage operation error in Windows.
How do I fix error performing inpage operation?
1. Use System Restore Points
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type create a restore and click on Create a restore point option.
- In the System Properties window, click the System Restore button.
- Click Next when the System Restore window appears.
- Check the “Show more restore points” box. This will list all the available restore points.
- Select the most recent restore point and click Next.
- Read the description and click the Finish button.
- The restoring process may take a few minutes to complete depending on the size of the restore point.
Once the system is restored, try uninstalling or installing the app and check for any improvements.
While the system restores point does not remove any personal files, it may uninstall applications installed after the restore point was created during the process.
2. Run Check Disk utility
- Press the Windows key and type cmd.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and hit enter:
CHKDSK L: /R
- The check disk utility will scan the hard disk for common error and apply available fixes.
- After the scanning is finished, restart the computer.
- Now try to install or uninstall the program that was triggering the error performing inpage operation error and check for any improvements.
The CHKSDK is a built-in utility that allows the users to fix issues with the file system and file system metadata. While the process is reported to be effective, the process may take a few hours to complete.
3. Reset Windows 10
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- From the left pane, click on the Recover tab.
- Under the Reset this PC section, click the Get started button.
- In the Choose an option window, you will be presented with two options.
Keep my files – Selecting this option will remove apps and settings, but keeps your personal files.
Remove everything – Selecting this option will remove all of your personal files, apps, and settings.
- We recommend you to select Keep my files option first. This will reset the Windows OS while preserving the personal files.
- However, in case the issue persists, perform a complete reset using the Remove everything option.
- Once done, check for any improvements.
If the issue persists, even after performing a complete reset, as a last resort, perform a clean install. Note that performing a clean installation will remove all the data from your computer.
5. Replace the hard disk
- If the issue persists, check your hard disk for hardware issues.
- Before replacing the hard disk, remove it from your computer and connect to another computer.
- If the computer fails to boot from the hard drive, you may need to replace the hard disk.
The error performing inpage operation error can occur due to system file corruption or hard disk issues. Follow all the steps in this article to fix the problem with ease.