- Europa Universalis IV is a historical grand strategy game, where your goal is to take over the world by building a dominant empire. You can play it on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- If you're experiencing EU4 lag in multiplayer mode, whether you're hosting the game server or connecting to a remote host, use a fast VPN app to improve your ping and gameplay.
- Whenever your VPN service throws unknown errors, visit our VPN Troubleshooting area.
- Join our Gaming VPN Hub if you often have ping and packet loss issues in games.
VPN Summer sale (83% off!)
Last chance to catch this awesome VPN deal: 1.99$ per month for the Surfshark VPN (available only this week). Surfshark VPN comes with the following features:
Europa Universalis IV (EU4) is a grand strategy game part of the Europa Universalis series, where you can evolve a nation from the Late Middle Ages through the Early modern period.
It has diplomacy, military, colonization, administration, and trade features. You can play it on Windows, OS X, and Linux. It’s available on Steam.
The game has a multiplayer mode, where you can join online sessions or host game servers for others to join. However, a lot of players experience EU4 lag, which can become really annoying. If you’re looking for a quick EU4 lag fix, you can use a VPN to improve your ping and gameplay.
Although the main purpose of a virtual private network solution is to conceal your IP address and encrypt your Internet traffic, it can also be used to achieve better connection speeds during gameplay and to circumvent geoblocks.
What are the best VPNs to fix EU4 lag?
If EU4 late-game lag is your biggest issue during gameplay, you can count on Private Internet Access (PIA). It’s one of the best VPN apps for your computer that can fix packet loss and speed up your Internet connection.
What you should know about PIA:
- +3,300 VPN servers in 47 countries
- Static and dynamic IP addresses
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux
- Ideal when EU4 is lagging late in the game
- Allows 10 connections at once
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
Private Internet AccessIf you have EU4 lag late in the game, use PIA to fix high ping.
When every click causes lag in EU4, you can use the high-speed VPN servers provided by CyberGhost VPN. It’s a virtual private network solution that can minimize jitter and enhance your gaming experience by lowering your ping time.
Owned by Kape Technologies, CyberGhost VPN has an extensive network of servers optimized for gaming. It also comes with exclusive DNS servers and split-tunneling mode to create whitelists and blacklists, so that you can optimize your Internet traffic for gameplay.
What you should know about CyberGhost VPN:
- +6,400 VPN servers in 89 countries
- DNS leak protection
- Works with Linux, Mac, Windows
- Fixes EU4 when you’re lagging behind
- Permits 7 simultaneous connections
- 45-day money-back guarantee (1-day free trial)
CyberGhost VPNIf you're wondering how to fix EU4 lag late in the game, use this VPN solution to descrease your ping.
Another great way to fix EU4 lag in multiplayer mode is by using BullGuard VPN. It’s a powerful tool that can redirect all network traffic through VPN servers to improve your Internet speed, overall.
What you should know about BullGuard VPN:
- +2,000 VPN servers in 16 countries
- Kill switch to turn off your VPN connection
- Up to 6 connections at the same time
- Quickly fixes EU4 lag when you’re protecting trade
- 30-day money-back guarantee (no free trial)
BullGuard VPNGet rid of EU4 lag that prevents you from enjoying the game with your friends using this high-speed VPN service.
In conclusion, if you’re experiencing EU4 lag, you don’t have to join another group of players or exit multiplayer mode and try again later. The quickest way to reduce your ping in the game is by connecting to a VPN server that’s in the same region as the remote host.
You just need the right VPN app for the job. And, if you can’t decide between the three options for Europa Universalis IV, we suggest picking Private Internet Access, thanks to its superior speed and excellent security features.
FAQ: Learn more about EU4 and lag
- How do I make EU4 run faster?
You can make EU4 run faster by configuring Steam settings, using a VPN to reduce high ping, updating your device drivers, and using game optimization software.
- Why is EU4 running slow?
EU4 might be running slow due to hardware or software issues. Check out our tips to see how to fix slow game loading.
- How do I play EU4 on a low-end PC?
To play EU4 on a low-end PC, get started by minimizing all graphic settings and choosing a smaller resolution. Use FPS counter software to keep track of your frame rate and make sure it stays above 60.