Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- The exe/bad challenge error in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 can make the game not playable.
- The error usually occurs on consoles like PS4, PS5, and the Xbox series.
- It occurs when you stay in the Lobby after starting the game.
Many players have reported the exe/bad_challenge error when playing MW2 (Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2). The error makes the game unplayable and stops players from getting a good gaming experience.
However, players also complain about other issues like Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare not saving settings after tweaking it.
What causes the exe/bad_challenge error in Modern Warfare 2?
The exe/bad_challenge error in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 can occur for many reasons. It is a recurrent error for many players who play on consoles like PS4, PS5, & Xbox. The error sends players back to the menu and prevents them from playing multiplayer.
There are no clear causes of the exe/bad_challenge error in Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. However, some potential factors that may add to the chances of you getting the error are:
- Waiting in the Lobby after entering matchmaking – Many players report that they got the error and got sent back to the starting screen of the game whenever they are in the lobby after matchmaking. The bug will be prompted if you don’t engage in something else or move elsewhere.
- Outdated game version – Playing an obsolete game version on your console can result in serious PlayStation 4 errors and leave your game vulnerable to bugs attack. It may cause the exe/bad_challenge error.
- The cross-play option is enabled – Players may encounter the exe/bad_challenge error in Modern Warfare due to the Crossplay feature. However, it’s at a disadvantage as it’ll affect your chance of playing with players from other platforms.
Nevertheless, various players may encounter the exe/bad_challenge error in Modern Warfare 2 for different reasons. Hence, we’ll take you through some general fixes for the error.
How do I fix the exe/bad_challenge error in Modern Warfare 2?
There are a few solutions for the exe/bad _challenge error in Modern Warfare that you can try. However, we recommend you observe these preliminary checks before proceeding:
- First, restart your console to refresh its process.
- Connect to a stable and fast network connection.
If the error persists, try the following steps:
1. Don’t wait in the lobby
Players should leave the lobby after joining the game and go to the weapons section. It’ll give the bug no chance of disrupting your game or sending you back to the start.
Also, you don’t have to do anything wherever you go; wait until your game is ready.
2. Update the game to its latest version
2.1 Update Modern Warfare 2 on PlayStation 4 & 5
- On the PlayStation homepage, select Modern Warfare 2.
- Press the Start button(Options) on your PS4 controller.
- Select the Check for Update option from the drop-down menu and wait for the update search.
On the next page, you will either find an available update to install on your console or receive a message saying you have the latest version.
2.2 Update Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox One & Xbox Series X/S
- Find Modern Warfare 2 on your Xbox Home Screen, or click on My Games & Apps.
- Press the Start button on your controller.
- Select Manage Game and Add-ons from the drop-down menu.
- Go to Updates and check if there are any updates available to install. Then, download and install updates available for you.
Updating your game can fix bugs and security issues, causing it to run into exe/bad_challenge errors in MW2.
Read how to fix Xbox One games and apps not working if you can’t access Modern Warfare 2 on your console.
3. Turn off Crossplay
3.1 Turn off Crossplay on Modern Warfare 2 on PS4 & PS5
- Launch Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on your console.
- Go to Settings and select Account & Network.
- Toggle off the switch for the Crossplay option.
- Restart your console.
3.2 Turn off Crossplay on Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox
- Start your Xbox, press the Xbox button on your controller, and go to console Settings.
- On the Account, privacy & online safety tab, select Xbox privacy.
- Click View details & customize, then select the Communication & multiplayer option.
- Toggle You can join the cross-network play option to Block.
- Restart your Xbox
Many players have confirmed that turning off the Crossplay option fixed the exe/bad_challenge error in MW2, so we recommend you try it.
For readers having trouble starting their console, check how to fix Xbox taking too long to start and get it working.
In conclusion, readers can check our article on how to fix Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare not saving settings on their devices. Also, we have a detailed guide you can use to fix Modern Warfare packet loss on your device.
If you have further questions or suggestions, kindly leave them in the comments below.