How to Fix Extended Desktop Issues in Windows 7
Maybe we talked about Windows 10 a lot these days, but we didn’t forget older Windows operating system. Now, we’re going to solve one really annoying Windows 7 problem. Here’s how you can solve the issue with extended display in Windows 7.
As you probably know, you can run your Windows OS on multiple monitors or screens. Windows integrated a few options that will help you manage what will be showed on each screen.
- You have the PC screen only option, which is used when you have just one monitor
- The Duplicate option allows you to have the same thing on both screens
- The Extended mode allows you to extend your display to both screens
- The Projector only allows you to use only your alternate monitor.
If you’re using just one monitor, the PC screen option should be enabled by default, because other options could mess up your display. And this is why our error occurs, if you’re using a single monitor, and you have Extended option enabled, you’ll most likely see only the half of your display, and you won’t be able to work normally.
FIX: Extended desktop Windows 7 not working
So to solve this issue, you just have to switch your ‘screen mode’ back to Computer only. Here’s how you can do that
- Press Windows key and P at the same time
- Window with screen modes will show up, so choose Computer only
After you switched to Computer only mode, your extended screen should be back to normal size. In case this simple workaround didn’t get the job done, you can always check if your display driver is installed correctly, because corrupted or outdated display driver could also cause some graphical issues.
This method should basically fix your Windows 7 extended display problem. However, if you’re experiencing extended display resolution problems, you can run Windows 7‘s built-in Hardware and Devices troubleshooter from Control Panel.
If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to contact us using the comments section below.
RELATED GUIDES TO CHECK OUT:
- 3 of the best software to fix Windows 7 errors for good
- Download Windows 7 KB4463104, KB4462923 to get the latest bug fixes
- Top Windows 7 Features Removed in Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
There aren’t too many problems that may occur while you’re using the on-screen keyboard in Windows 10. Because it’s the on-screen keyboard, a simple feature […]
Many Windows 10 users reported that image is not displaying in Chrome. In order to fix this problem we came up with a quick guide, […]