- Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic RPG-FPS hybrid that was released back in 2008.
- Since the game is pretty old now, issues with it running on Windows 10 are to be expected.
- For more guides on this amazing product, check out our dedicated Fallout 3 hub.
- You can find even more interesting articles if you visit our Gaming page.
Fallout 3 is the third addition to the Fallout series that Bethesda released in 2008. Therefore, the game predates both Windows 7 and 10 and was primarily designed for Vista.
So, Fallout 3 doesn’t always work when some players try to play it in Windows 10. For some players, the game crashes when they click New in Fallout 3.
How do I make Fallout 3 run on Windows 10?
1. Run Fallout 3 in compatibility mode
- When Fallout 3 doesn’t work in Windows 10, it’s often a compatibility issue that can be resolved with compatibility mode.
- To run Fallout 3 in compatibility mode, open File Explorer with the Windows key + E hotkey for it.
- Open Fallout 3’s Steam folder within File Explorer.
- The default path for Fallout 3’s Steam folder will be:
- C: > Program Files (x86) > Steam > steamapps > common > Fallout 3.
- Then right-click the Fallout 3 EXE file to select Properties.
- Next, select the Compatibility tab on the game’s properties window.
- Select the Run this program in compatibility mode for the setting.
- Then select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) on the platform drop-down menu.
- You can try selecting other Windows XP service pack platforms and Windows 7 if the XP Service Pack 3 option doesn’t do the trick.
- In addition, select the checkbox for the Run this program as an administrator option.
- Click Apply to save settings.
- Click the OK button to exit.
2. Edit the Falloutprefs.ini config file for Fallout 3
- Editing the game’s Falloutprefs.ini file can also fix Fallout 3 not working in Windows 10. Open File Explorer.
- Click My Documents > My Games > Fallout 3 to open that folder path.
- Double-click the falloutprefs.ini file to open it in Notepad.
- Next, look for the bUseThreadedAI=0 setting in the falloutprefs.ini file.
- Change the bUseThreadedAI=0 setting to bUseThreadedAI=1.
- If the bUseThreadedAI=0 isn’t in the file, enter bUseThreadedAI=1 on a new line within the file.
- Then add iNumHWThreads=2 to another new line within the falloutprefs.ini file.
- Click File and Save to save the new settings within the file.
- Thereafter, try running Fallout 3 again.
3. Install Windows Game Live
Fallout 3 needs the antiquated Games for Windows – Live software to run.
- Enter Games for Windows Live in Google as in the shot directly below.
- Then click the GWFL – Microsoft link near the top of the search results.
- Doing so will download the installer for Games for Windows Live.
- Open the folder Games for Windows Live downloaded to.
- Then click gfwlivesetup.exe to open the installer for that software.
- Go through the setup wizard to install Games for Windows Live.
- Launch the Games for Windows Live software when you’ve installed it.
- Then it will start downloading some files.
4. Check if you need to update your graphics card driver
- Finally, make sure you have the latest graphics card driver for your GPU.
- Click Free Download on the homepage for Driver Booster 7.
- Open Driver Booster 7’s setup wizard to add the software to Windows.
- Next, launch Driver Booster, which will initiate a scan automatically.
- If the scan’s list includes a graphics adapter checkbox, you need to update your graphics card driver.
- Click Update Now to update the drivers for selected devices.
Those are some of the more likely resolutions that will kick-start Fallout 3 so that you can play the game in Windows 10. Our How to Play Old Games article also provides further tips for running antiquated games in Windows 10.
FAQ: Learn more about Fallout 3
- Is Fallout 3 still good?
When compared to the entries that came afterward, Fallout 3 is considered to be equal, or in some cases superior. Check out this list of the best RPGs that you can get from Steam.
- When was Fallout 3 released?
Fallout 3 was released back in 2008.
- Is Fallout 3 game of the Year?
Yes, Fallout became the Game of the Year in 2008, and a GotY edition is available to download as well.