Whether you are trying to connect your HP printer to your Windows PC for the first time or after clean install, you need to install the HP Printer driver first to get started with the printing process.
Like most of the hardware peripheral devices, HP printer also needs you to install appropriate drivers first.
Sometimes the drivers may automatically install itself after connecting the printer via USB cable other times you may need to download that specific printer driver and install it manually.
In both situations, the process of installing HP printer is easy and won’t take more than a few minutes.
However, for some users, things may get complicated. Some users have reported that the Windows PC displays a fatal error while installing HP printer drivers.
This usually happens if the computer fails to detect the printer driver. There are a couple of ways to fix this error and get your printer working again.
In this article, we have listed all the possible HP printer driver fatal error codes and a few quick solutions to fix them.
Some of the common HP printer driver errors include:
- Fata error. OK
- Error A fatal error occurred preventing product use
- The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). To reinstall drivers, click Reinstall Driver
- Fatal Error 2753 — MSI.dot4wrp
How can I fix HP Printer driver fatal errors?
Solution 1: Disable HP Smart Install
HP Smart Install is a software application that comes bundled with HP Printers. Although HP no longer supports this software, if installed on any computer, it can create issues with driver installation.
So, if you are facing a fatal error while installing HP Printer drivers, disabling HP Smart Install option will fix the issue. Follow these steps to disable HP Smart Install.
- On your printer screen, go to Setup > Service.
- Open HP Smart Install and make sure the feature is disabled.
- Now try to install the driver and see if disabling the feature resolved the error.
Solution 2: Run Windows Troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter that helps the users in case something stops working. The troubleshooter can find and fix many common problems with your PC.
To troubleshoot your printer, do the following.
- Open Settings. Click on Update and Security.
- Open the Troubleshoot tab. Under Get up and running, select Printer. Click on Run the Troubleshooter button to proceed.
- The troubleshooter now runs the diagnostic check on all the common problems that may affect printer function such as Spooler printer feature etc.
- If found, it will ask you to apply the recommended settings to fix the problem.
If the problem persists, close the troubleshooter and proceed with next steps.
Solution 3: Disconnect and Reconnect the Printer
At times, simple solutions like disconnecting and reconnecting the printer can fix the issue.
So, turn off the printer and disconnect from your computer. Wait for a few seconds and reconnect the printer again but this time use a different USB Port. At times, the USB port can also cause annoying errors.
Solution 4: Remove the Printer from Control Panel
The next solution is to remove any listed printer from the Control Panel. You also need to remove any drivers for the printers that may have installed on your computer. Here is how to do it.
- Open Control Panel. If you don’t know how to do it, simply type Control Panel in the Cortana/search bar and select it from the results.
- Under Hardware and Sound, click on View devices and printers.
- Select any of the listed HP Printer and click on Remove device.
- Restart the computer once it is removed.
- Press Windows Key + R, and type the following command and hit OK.Printui.exe /s
- This will open the Printer Server Properties window. Click on the Drivers tab, select any listed HP printer and click the Remove button.
- Select Remove driver and driver package option and click OK.
Try installing the driver again to see if the problem is resolved. If not, restart the computer and try again.
Solution 5: Stop Print Spooler service
Another solution to fix the fatal error is to stop the Print Spooler service from the Services window. After that, you need to delete all the files in the Spool folder. Here is how to do it.
- Open Run dialogue box by pressing Windows key + R. Type “services.msc” and hit enter.
- This will open the Services window. Look for Printer spooler in the list.
- Right-click on Printer spooler and select Stop. Close Services window.
- Open Run dialogue box again and type Spool and hit enter.
- Delete everything in that folder. If asked for administrator permission, click OK.
- Open Services window again using the Run dialogue box and start Print spooler service. Right-click and select Start.
Rerun the driver installation package and check for any improvements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fatal errors on printers indicate the printer driver has not been recognized and the device cannot be used. Restarting the printer and installing the latest drivers should fix the problem.
To download HP printer drivers, go to 123.hp.com, enter your printer model, and you’ll find plenty of information on the latest drivers and the best printer setup software to use.
To download the latest HP printer drivers, go to HP Software & Driver Downloads, enter your product number and check if there are any new drivers available for download.