- Final Fantasy XIV, a role-playing game, despite regular updates, is not immune to bugs and errors.
- If you got the launcher error, it could be because your Steam & Square Enix accounts are not linked.
- This guide will share all the possible reasons and fixes related to the issue.
If you are facing a technical error has occurred while launching the FFXIV launcher, don’t worry; you are not alone. But the good news is it can be easily fixed in no time.
This guide will discuss the reasons and methods to fix this problem so you can play your favorite MMORPG without interruption.
What causes a technical error has occurred in the FFXIV launcher?
There could be several reasons behind this launcher error; here, we have mentioned some of the most common ones:
- Your Square Enix and Steam accounts are not linked: If both accounts are not connected, you could face this issue.
- FFXIV doesn’t have enough rights: The technical error might occur if the launcher is not run as administrator, try to run it as admin to avoid such issues.
- Your Steam Username: If your Steam username has special characters, it may cause problems.
- Network issues: If your DNS and DNS client service is not responding, this could cause the launcher issue.
- SSL issue: If there is an SSL error while connected to the site, you could face this error.
How can I fix a technical error has occurred in the FFXIV launcher?
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Before diving into the troubleshooting methods, let us check out the quick fixes:
- Close and reopen the launcher.
- Close and reopen Steam.
- Restart your computer, then the game.
- Change Steam username.
- Click Reset System Settings for FFXIV.
- Ensure there are no pending Windows Updates.
If these fixes didn’t solve your problem, and the launcher won’t load for you, try these detailed steps:
1. Disable DirectX11
- Go to the FFXIV launcher, and click on Config.
- Locate DirectX 11 Support, and toggle Off the switch to disable it.
- Reboot the launcher and try to log in again.
2. Delete the ETC folder
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Go to this path:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn
- Locate the etc. folder, right-click on it, and select Delete.
3. Disable Firewall
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Go to Privacy & Security, then click Windows Security.
- Click Firewall & network protection.
- Now click on Domain network, Private network, and Public Network one by one.
- Toggle off Microsoft Defender Firewall.
- Click Yes on the UAC prompt to finish.
- Restart your PC and try to launch the game.
4. Set the launcher to run as administrator.
- Locate the launcher file, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- Now click Advanced.
- On the next window, put a checkmark beside Run as administrator.
- Click OK.
- Now click Apply and OK.
5. Checkmark SSL 2.0 and 3.0 Internet Options
- Press the Windows key and type Control Panel and click Open.
- Go to Network & Internet Settings.
- Double-click on Internet Options.
- On the next window, go to the Advanced tab, and put a checkmark beside SSL 2.0 or SSL 3.0, whichever is available.
- Click Apply and then OK.
6. Modify FFXIV_Boot.cfg file
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Copy this path on the address bar after replacing the user with your User account name:
C:\Users\user\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn
- Right-click on the FFXIV_BOOT.cfg file and select Open with.
- Now select Notepad and click Just Once.
- Now crosscheck the info mentioned below and ensure the value is the same as mentioned; if not, alter it: Region 2; Language 1; StartupCompleted 1; EulaAgreement 1; ConfigReset 0; B4EulaAgreement 1; BootVersionCheckMode 1
- Once you are done with the changes, press Ctrl + S to save the file.
7. Change DNS Settings
- Press Windows + I to get Settings.
- Select Network & Internet, then click Advanced network settings.
- Now click More network adapter options.
- From the network options, choose your network connection, right-click on it, and select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- On the next window, put a checkmark on the radio button beside Use the following DNS server addresses; for the Preferred DNS server, use 188.8.131.52 and for the Alternate DNS server, use 184.108.40.206.
- Select Validate settings upon exit option.
- Click OK and then click Close.
So, these are fixes that can help you resolve technical errors has occurred while loading the game via the FFXIV launcher. If nothing has worked for you so far, it is suggested to uninstall and reinstall the game.
Please let us know in the comments section below if any other method worked for you.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.