Fix: File Explorer won’t detect Network devices in Windows 10
Microsoft has confirmed that there are some bugs in the Windows 10 April 2018 Update. And while they have confirmed that they’re fixing a number of issues, some users need to fix them faster, on their own, before Microsoft does.
Many users have encountered a bug that leaves File Explorer unable to find network devices or even share files with other computers. Microsoft is investigating the problem, but there is a way to allow users restore functionality until the company solves this bug.
On their Community forums, a Microsoft agent describes the bug some people can get after the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803):
File Explorer cannot connect to other devices running version 1803. When clicking the Network tab in File Explorer, other devices on the home network running version 1803 do not appear, and thus I’m not able to perform file sharing or access files on other devices on my home network.
How to fix the File Explorer bug
To fix the bug, you must change the default configuration of some Windows 10 services. First, you must be signed in with an admin account.
- Pres ‘Win key + R’ -> type services.msc in the Run dialog. Press enter. You will see a list with services available in Windows.
- You must change the settings of some services (see list below). Double click on each service and go to the section ‘Startup type’ -> select Automatic (Delayed Started) -> apply. Do this action for the same service. Here are the services that must be tweaked:
- Computer Browser (Browser)
- Function Discovery Provider Host (FDPHost)
- Function Discovery Resource Publication (FDResPub)
- Network Connections (NetMan)
- UPnP Device Host (UPnPHost)
- Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRPSvc)
- Peer Networking Grouping (P2PSvc)
- Peer Networking Identity Manager (P2PIMSvc)
- Reboot your PC and the bug should be fixed.
If the networking sharing functionality hasn’t been fixed, then follow the same steps and return to the original settings of the services above. If the fix worked, continue with the new settings until there is an official fix from Microsoft.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK:
- Windows 10 April 2018 Update bug kills SMBv1 protocol
- FIX: Network discovery is turned off in Windows 10
- Windows 10 Mobile April 2018 Update could land this year
The GeForce Experience client by Nvidia is all-in-one suite covering everything from the in-game screenshots, live streams, and graphics optimization. Quite a valuable asset for […]
Solid State Drives, commonly known as SSD hard drives, are a form of computer storage that is used today as an alternative to traditional and […]