System errors such as ERROR_BAD_FILE_TYPE can appear sooner or later on any PC. This error often comes with The file type being saved or retrieved has been blocked message, and today we’re going to show you how to properly fix this error on your Windows 10 PC.
The file type being saved or retrieved has been blocked
Fix – ERROR_BAD_FILE_TYPE
1. Check the file name
According to users, sometimes these types of problems can occur due to a long file name. Windows has certain limitations in terms of file path length, and if you’re getting this error you might want to try renaming this file and making its name shorter. In addition, you can try moving the file to a different folder, closer to the root directory in order to make its file path shorter.
If that doesn’t help, be sure to check for special characters. Few users reported that this error occurred due to special characters in the file name. If you can’t move or copy the file, be sure to check its name and remove any special characters and symbols.
2. Try using a different web browser
Many users reported that this issue occurs while trying to download files from the Internet. According to users, they can download the files without any problems, but once they try to run them they encounter The file type being saved or retrieved has been blocked message.
As potential workaround users are suggesting to switch to a different web browser and try to download the file again. Several users reported that this workaround works for them, so be sure to try using a different browser to download the problematic file.
We recommend trying a modern and intuitive browser that uses less processing capacity than its counterparts. Its advanced capabilities and customizable features will provide you with an error-free and secure online experience.
Download any type of file with an additional protective layer and built-in VPN!
3. Change the file extension
Many users tend to use image files for software distribution, however few of them reported this error while trying to mount MDF of MDS image files. According to users, you can fix this problem simply by changing the file extension. To change a file extension of an MDF file, we recommend you use a special type of program that can change it to ISO or any other compatible format.
On the other hand, few users reported that they fixed this problem simply by changing the file extension manually. This is relatively simple but potentially dangerous, so before trying this solution we advise you to create a copy of your image file, just in case. To change the extension of a file, you first need to reveal the file extensions for all files. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- Click on View tab and then check File name extensions.
- After doing that you’ll be able to see file extension for each file on your PC. Now locate the problematic image file, right click it and choose Rename.
- Change the file extension from .mdf to .iso.
- Confirmation message will appear. Click on Yes to change the file extension.
After changing the extension from MDF to ISO, check if the issue still persists.
4. Check blocked file types
If you’re having this problem with SharePoint, you might be able to fix it by using this solution. SharePoint allows you to choose the types of files you want to block, but before you can do that you need to have administrative credentials. To change blocked file types, do the following:
- Navigate to Central Administration.
- Click on Security and navigate to General Security > Define blocked file types.
- Navigate to Web Application menu and choose Change Web Application. Now go to Select Web Application page.
- If you see that a certain file type is blocked, you can unblock it simply by selecting it from the list and pressing the Delete key. After doing that, click OK to save changes.
This is a relatively simple solution, and if you’re using SharePoint feel free to try it out.
ERROR_BAD_FILE_TYPE and The file type being saved or retrieved has been blocked message can cause a lot of problems on your PC. However, you should be able to fix this problem by using one of the solutions from our article.
- How to fix ‘Server not Found’ error in Firefox browser
- Unable to download files from the internet in Windows 10 [Fix]
- ”Write to disk: Access Denied” error with uTorrent [Fix]
- “Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart” error [FIX]
- Windows Store error 0x80246019 [FIX]