Asphalt 8: Airborne is a blockbuster racing game that has enthralled millions of players the world over. However, the game doesn’t run entirely flawlessly in Windows 10 as it crashes upon launch for some players.
As such, some Asphalt 8 fanatics have found the game app doesn’t always run. Here are a few potential fixes for Asphalt 8 if the app isn’t working for you in Windows 10.
How to fix Asphalt 8
1. Run the Windows Store App Troubleshooter
First, try fixing Asphalt 8 with the Windows Store App Troubleshooter. That’s a troubleshooter which can repair apps that aren’t working. This is how you can open the app troubleshooter in Windows 10.
- Open the Cortana app by pressing the Cortana button on the taskbar.
- Input the keyword ‘troubleshoot’ in the search box.
- Click Troubleshoot to open the window below.
- Select the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter, and press the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Press the Next button on the troubleshooter to go through its suggested resolutions.
3. Disable Windows Defender’s Cloud and Real-Time Protection
Some Asphalt players have fixed the game’s crashes by switching Windows Defender’s Cloud and Real-time protection settings off. So this could be an effective fix if you haven’t added any third-party anti-virus utilities to Windows. You can adjust those options as follows.
- Press the Start button, and click the Settings app icon.
- Select Updates & security to open the window directly below.
- Then click Windows Defender to open its settings.
- If Windows Defender is turned on, you can select Cloud and Real-time protection options. Click the Real-time protection setting to toggle it off.
- Then click the Cloud-based Protection option to switch that setting off.
ALSO READ: Protect your PC from ransomware and malware with Windows Defender’s new Controlled Folder Access
4. Reset the Asphalt 8 App
Resetting apps can fix apps that aren’t working. Windows 10 has a Reset option that you can re-register the Asphalt 8 app with. You can reset Asphalt 8 as follows.
- Open Cortana and enter ‘apps’ in is search box.
- Select Apps & features to open the app list in the snapshot directly below.
- Enter ‘Asphalt 8’ in the search box.
- Select Asphalt 8: Airborne and click Advanced options to open the Reset button.
- Then press the Reset button.
- A dialog box will open telling you that resetting the app will delete its data. Click Reset again to re-register the Asphalt 8 app.
5. Update Windows Drivers
Asphalt 8 crashes can be due to antiquated device drivers. You can update all your drivers with software such as Driver Booster. However, the graphics card driver is probably the most essential one for 3D game apps. This is how you can manually update a graphics card driver.
- Press the Win key + R to open Run.
- Enter ‘dxdiag‘ in Run’s text box, and press the Return key.
- Note down the operating system and graphics card details on the DirectX Diagnostic Tool’s System and Display tabs.
- Now open the graphic card manufacturer’s website.
- Open the driver download section of the site, which might include a search box or drop-down menus. If it has a search box, enter your graphics card in the search box to find drivers for it.
- Select to download the latest, compatible driver for your graphics card if there is a more update one available.
- Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Win key + X hotkey, and select to open Device Manager.
- Double-click Display adapters in Device Manager.
- Right-click your listed graphics card and select Update driver.
- Select the Browse my computer for driver software option.
- Click the Browse button, and select the folder you saved the update driver to.
- Press the Next button when you’ve selected the folder.
- Restart Windows when prompted to do so.
Automatically updating drivers
Updating drivers manually is an advanced procedure and might cause permanent damage to your PC by installing the wrong driver versions. We suggest to do it automatically by using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool.
This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus and will prevent file loss and system damage. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution. Here is a quick guide how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
6. Check for Windows Updates
Windows updates can resolve numerous issues and update some system drivers. Some players have also found that Asphalt 8 doesn’t work in a few of the earlier builds. As such, the latest Windows updates can feasibly fix Asphalt 8.
So make sure your Windows Update service is turned on. You can also manually check for updates as follows.
- Enter ‘updates’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Select Check for updates to open the window directly below.
- Then press the Check for updates button.
- If there are available updates for Windows, press the Download button.
7. Roll Back Windows Updates With System Restore
This might seem to contradict the previous resolution of updating Windows, but some players have also found that Asphalt 8 stops working immediately after an update.
If the game stops working for you after a recent update, utilizing the System Restore tool might fix it. System Restore will remove updates that don’t predate the selected restore point. This is how you can remove Windows updates with System Restore.
- Enter ‘rstrui‘ in Run and press OK to open the window below.
- Press the Next button to open a restore point list.
- Some of the restore points listed there might be Windows updates. Select an automatic restore point that predates the most recent update.
- You can also press the Scan for affected programs button that will list all the software the restore point will remove as shown in the snapshot directly below. System Restore will remove third-party software installed after the restore point as well as updates.
- Press the Next button and click Finish to roll back Windows.
8. Reinstall Asphalt 8
Reinstalling Asphalt can fix corrupted or missing game files. However, this fix should be a last resort as you’ll also lose your game data. This is how you can reinstall Asphalt 8.
- Enter the keyword ‘apps’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Select Apps & features to open the window directly below.
- Select Asphalt 8: Airborne on the apps list, and press its Uninstall button.
- Click Uninstall again to remove the app.
- Thereafter, press the Get the game button on this web page to add Asphalt 8 to Windows 10 again.
Those are a few fixes that might get Asphalt Airborne up and running again in Windows 10. Note that you can also run the Asphalt 8 app with an Android emulator instead. Check out this post for some further tips on how to resolve game crashes in Windows.