Here’s how to fix common Conan Exiles issues
Conan Exiles is a challenging open-world survival game set in the brutal lands of Conan the Barbarian. As a player, your main tasks are to survive in a hostile world, build your kingdom, and dominate your enemies.
Conan Exiles was officially launched on May 8 after 15 months of Early Access. The game is still affected by many technical issues, as gamers report, but the good news is that Funcom is working at full thrust to fix them. As a matter of fact, Funcom also rolled out an major Conan Exiles update, patching a series of server connection issues.
Conan Exiles’ developers also published a list of quick workarounds that players can use to fix common game issues.
Fix: Conan Exiles bugs
- Keybindings won’t save
- There are no servers in browser
- Black screen on startup
- C++ or UE4 Prerequisites errors
- “Optional parameters” error
- Craftable tents are unavailable
1. Keybindings won’t save
- Go to C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonConanExilesConanSandboxConfig
- Open the DefaultInput.ini file with Notepad
- Find the lines that have PreviousMessage and NextMessage
- Where it says Key= , change the assigned key to whatever other key you would prefer to use.
This temporary solution involves editing a vital game file. Avoid changing and deleting any characters in any of the lines in the file as this can be gamebreaking.
2. There are no servers in browser
If you cannot see any servers listed in the browser, make sure that the Combat and Community lists are set to All. The filter should be set to Internet.
If the settings are correct, but you still can’t see any Conan Exiles servers, then you may still use the Steam server list tool: View > Servers.
3. Black screen on startup
If the game is hanging on the loading screen and is not progressing beyond a black screen, wait a little longer. If nothing happens after a few minutes, end the task by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Restart the game and then try to launch it again.
It is good to know that this issue may be caused by hardware that is close to the minimum specifications. Also, try running the Steam client’s built-in integrity checker.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Steam.
- Choose Library.
- Right-click on Conan Exiles and open Properties.
- Under the Local tab, click Verify integrity of game cache…
4. C++ or UE4 Prerequisites errors
Conan Exiles C++ errors are most likely due to out-of-date Windows versions. Make sure that your computer is running the latest Windows version:
- Run Windows Update > install the available updates > restart your computer
- Install the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
- Install Conan Exiles
5. “Optional parameters” error
If Conan Exiles is trying to launch with optional parameters that don’t exist, restart Steam and try again. If the issue persists, close Steam and launch the app as an Administrator. If this doesn’t fix the error, contact Funcom’s support team.
6. Craftable tents are unavailable
Last night I decided to craft some of the new tents we’re able to make and set them around my wheel of pain. After setting them down, I liked how they looked, but I didn’t like where they were placed. Unfortunately the game doesn’t let me pick them back up. It also doesn’t let me destroy them.
To fix this problem, you need to remove the tents from your toolbar and everything should go back to normal.
If you’ve come across other workarounds for various Conan Exiles issues, help the gaming community by listing the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below. We’ll continue to scour the forums to find more solutions and we’ll update this post as soon as possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on February 1, 2017 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10 Game bar not opening
- Here’s how to fix frequent Resident Evil 7 Biohazard bugs
- Fix: FIFA 17 won’t connect to EA servers
If you find yourself seeing the error message Your password may have expired or the remote PC might not accept blank passwords, you came to […]