How to fix a corrupt bootres.dll file in Windows 10
How do I fix corrupt bootres.dll files on PC?
- Run the System File Checker
- Restore Windows 10 to a Restore Point
- Fix the Bootres.dll With DLL Suite
- Check Out Third-Party Windows Repair Software
If your desktop’s or laptop’s bootres file is corrupted, you might get an error message stating: The program can’t start because bootres.dll is missing from your computer.
That’s a typical DLL error message which can often be due to a corrupted DLL file. So repairing a corrupted bootres.dll will resolve numerous bootres error messages.
How to solve bootres.dll file issues
1. Run the System File Checker
The System File Checker is a utility included in Windows that many users utilize to fix numerous error messages. The SFC checks and repairs corrupted system files.
So the SFC is the command-line tool to utilize for fixing corrupted DLL files such as bootres.
Note that even if the SFC does detect corrupted files, it might not always repair them.
Then the Command Prompt window will state, “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.”
As such, it’s also worth running the Deployment Image Servicing and Management utility beforehand to ensure the SFC scan runs correctly.
This is how you can utilize both those utilities in the Command Prompt.
- Right-click the Windows 10 Start button to expand the Windows + X menu.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Prompt as admin.
- Then enter ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ in the Prompt first, and press the Return key.
- Restart Windows if the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool does change something.
- Reopen the Command Prompt as administrator as before if required.
- Initiate the SFC scan by entering ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt and pressing Return.
- The SFC scanning might take up to 30 minutes. If it does repair files, reboot your desktop or laptop.
2. Restore Windows 10 to a Restore Point
The System Restore tool often comes in handy for fixing DLL errors. With System Restore, you can select to roll Windows back to a date when the bootres.dll was not corrupted.
Thus, restoring Windows to an earlier date undoes changes to system files. This is how you can roll back Windows with System Restore.
- Press the Windows key + R hotkey to launch Run.
- Enter the ‘rstrui’ in the Run text box and click OK to open the System Restore utility.
- The System Restore window might include a Choose a different restore option. If so, select that option and click Next.
- Select the Show more restore points check box to see a full list of dates.
- Then choose a date to restore Windows 10 to. Note that you’ll need to choose a restore point that will restore Windows to a date when bootress.dll error message wasn’t popping up.
- Click the Next button, and then select the Finish option.
3. Fix the Bootres.dll With DLL Suite
There are numerous DLL utilities that you can scan for and repair DLL errors with. Thus, DLL software might repair a corrupted bootress.dll.
Check out the DLL Suite that quickly fixes DLL issues. You can try out an unregistered DLL Suite version by clicking the Download button on this webpage.
The software includes a Start Scan & Repair DLL Errors button you can press to scan for and fix DLL errors.
Users can also download a new bootres.dll file to replace a corrupted or missing one from the DLL Suite database.
4. Check Out Third-Party Windows Repair Software
Aside from DLL fixer software, there are plenty of more general PC repair toolkits that fix system files.
System Mechanic Pro and Windows Repair are two of the best PC repair toolkits that might come in handy for fixing a corrupted bootres.dll.
For further repair toolkit details, check out this software guide.
This post provides further details for how you can factory reset Windows 10.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix Ntdll.dll Error Messages in Windows 10, 8.1
- Full Fix: Autorun.dll errors in Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- How to fix the Windows 10 ISDone.dll error
Snipping Tool in Windows OS is a handy little utility that you can access by pressing the Windows + Shift + S shortcut key on […]
The master decryption keys for GandCrab ransomware are now available for all PC users. These keys can be used to decrypt GandCrab versions 4 to […]