- DLLs are usually the first elements to get corrupted when something goes wrong with your Windows system.
- If vcruntime140.dll is missing, then you should use a safe repair tool to fix the problem with ease.
- You should scan your PC for malware and make sure that it is not infected with viruses.
- Make sure you run a specific process in Command Prompt and continue reading our full guide to learn all the steps.
The missing Vcruntime140.dll error is one that can come out of nowhere when you open software. The missing DLL error message states:
The program can’t start because vcruntime140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
Consequently, you can’t run a program when the issue occurs. As the error message highlights, this issue is largely has to do with a missing Vcruntime140.dll.
Alternatively, it might be the case that there’s a corrupted DLL file. The error can also crop up after Windows updates that are missing DLL files.
This is how you can fix the Vcruntime140.dll is missing error in Windows 10, so keep reading.
What can I do if vcruntime140.dll is missing?
1. Use a DLL finder tool
Our favorite tool for automatically finding disappearing DLLs is Restoro. Besides finding your lost DLL, it’ll also significantly improve the performance of your system.
Restoro is a reliable third-party DLL fixer which uses a built-in automated system and an online library full of functional DLLs to replace and repair any files that might be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you need to do to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and simply follow the on-screen instructions to start the process, as everything else is covered by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Scan for malware
First, scan for malware with third-party anti-virus software, which will probably fix the missing Vcruntime140.dll error if it’s due to malware.
The files can be recovered if they were misidentified as malware and removed or blocked by the antimalware application installed on your computer.
If this is the case, we recommend one of these antivirus utilities fully compatible with Windows PCs, that will ease the process of recovering VCRUNTIME140.dll.
Follow the steps in the third-party antivirus to repair the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing problem in Windows by restoring .dll files from the antivirus program’s quarantine zone.
3. Run the system file checker utility
- Press the Win key + X hotkey, and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter sfc /scannow in the Prompt’s window.
- Press the Enter key to initiate an SFC scan.
- The SFC scan will probably take up to half an hour.
- If the scan reports that it fixed corrupt files, close the Prompt and restart Windows.
If the DLL file is corrupted, the System File Checker might come in handy. System File Checker (SFC) is a tool that detects and repairs corrupted system files.
As such, the SFC might also help resolve the missing Vcruntime140.dll error.
4. Repair Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
- Press the Win key + R.
- Enter appwiz.cpl in Run, and press the OK button.
- Select the latest Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio package listed on the Programs and Features tab.
- Press the Uninstall button to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Press the Repair button on that window.
- Then restart the Windows OS.
The Vcruntime140.dll file comes with the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package.
Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio is essential to run all software developed with C++. As such, repairing that Visual Studio package might fix the missing DLL error.
5. Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
- Download Visual C++ Redistributable.
- Select either vc_redist.x64.exe (the 64-bit version) or vc_redist.x86.exe (for 32-bit systems), and press the Next button.
- If you’re not sure which installer to download, enter system in the Cortana search box.
- Click About your PC to open the window below, which includes system type details.
- Open the Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 setup wizard to install the package.
- Then reboot the Windows OS.
If the Visual C++ repair didn’t fix the issue, reinstall Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. That will restore the missing DLL file. You can reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio package as described.
6. Copy the DLL file to the program’s folder
- Open File Explorer, and browse to the folder path:
- Input Vcruntime140.dll in File Explorer’s search box.
- Select the Vcruntime140.dll file, and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
- Open the folder of the software that’s returning the missing DLL error.
- Press Ctrl + V to paste the Vcruntime140.dll file in the software’s folder.
The Vcruntime140.dll might not be missing at all. Some programs might require their folder to include the Vcruntime140.dll file.
In which case, you’ll need to copy the DLL to the required software folder as mentioned above.
7. Reinstall the program
The missing Vcruntime140.dll error message states that you should reinstall the program to fix the issue.
You can uninstall the software by selecting it on the Control Panel’s Programs and Features tab and pressing the Uninstall button.
When reinstalling the program, download the latest version from the publisher’s website if it’s freeware.
The above resolutions will probably fix the Vcruntime140.dll missing error in Windows 10.
If you have any questions or other suggestions, please write to us in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
This error usually pops up after installing a fix the vcruntime140 DLL missing error.or after an unsuccessful installation of a specific program. Check out our complete guide to see how you can
VCRUNTIME140. DLL is a Microsoft C Runtime Library application extension that is located in the System32 folder and is installed through Microsoft Visual Studio.
Deleting a DLL is not a good idea at all since a DLL can be responsible for the proper functioning of multiple programs at a time. But if it has already happened, then here’s how you can fix common missing DLL problems.