How to fix the “Vcruntime140.dll is missing” error in Windows
The missing Vcruntime140.dll error is one that can come out of nowhere when you open software. The missing DLL error message states: “The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.” Consequently, you can’t run a program when the issue occurs.
As the error message highlights, this issue is largely to do with a missing Vcruntime140.dll. Alternatively, it might be the case that there’s a corrupted DLL file. The error can also crop up after Windows updates that are missing DLL files. This is how you can fix the “Vcruntime140.dll is missing” error in Windows.
What to do if VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from PC
Scan for Malware
First, scan for malware with third-party anti-virus software. That will probably fix the missing Vcruntime140.dll error if it’s due to malware. Add the Malwarebytes trial version to Windows from this website, and then run a scan with that software to purge malware.
Run the System File Checker Utility
If the DLL file is corrupted, the System File Checker might come in handy. System File Checker (SFC) is a tool that detects and repairs corrupted system files. As such, the SFC might also help resolve the missing Vcruntime140.dll error.
- You can run the SFC from the Command Prompt by pressing the Win key + X hotkey. That will open the Win + X menu from which you can select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Prompt’s window.
- Press the Enter key to initiate an SFC scan.
- The SFC scan will probably take up to half an hour. If the scan reports that it fixed corrupt files, close the Prompt and restart Windows.
Repair Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
The Vcruntime140.dll file comes with the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 package. Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio is essential to run all software developed with C++. As such, repairing that Visual Studio package might fix the missing DLL error.
- To repair the Visual Studio package, press the Win key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run, and press the OK button.
- Select the latest Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio package listed on the Programs and Features tab.
- Press the Uninstall button to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Press the Repair button on that window.
- Then restart the Windows OS.
Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015
If the Visual C++ repair didn’t fix the issue, reinstall Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. That will restore the missing DLL file. You can reinstall the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio package as follows.
- First, open this web page in your browser.
- Press the Download button on that page.
- Select either vc_redist.x64.exe (the 64-bit version) or vc_redist.x86.exe (for 32-bit systems), and press the Next button.
- If you’re not sure which installer to download, enter ‘system’ in the Cortana search box. Click About your PC to open the window below, which includes system type details.
- Open the Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 setup wizard to install the package.
- Then reboot the Windows OS.
Copy the DLL File to the Program’s Folder
The Vcruntime140.dll might not be missing at all. Some programs might require their folder to include the Vcruntime140.dll file. In which case, you’ll need to copy the DLL to the required software folder as follows.
- First, open File Explorer; and browse to the folder path: C: > Windows > System32.
- Input ‘Vcruntime140.dll’ in File Explorer’s search box.
- Select the Vcruntime140.dll file and press Ctrl + C to copy it.
- Next, open the folder of the software that’s returning the missing DLL error.
- Press the Ctrl + V hotkey to paste the Vcruntime140.dll file in the software’s folder.
Reinstall the Program
The missing Vcruntime140.dll error message states that you should reinstall the program to fix the issue. You can uninstall the software by selecting it on the Control Panel’s Programs and Features tab and pressing the Uninstall button. When reinstalling the program, download the latest version from the publisher’s website if it’s freeware.
The above resolutions will probably fix the “Vcruntime140.dll is missing” error in Windows. If you have an HP laptop or desktop, also consider updating the Accelerometer (3D DriveGuard) driver from the HP website. If your Windows laptop or desktop has any other missing DLL file errors, check out this post for further fixes.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- “Something missing on the page” prompt in Microsoft Edge
- How to fix missing Bluetooth icon in Windows 10
- Hybrid sleep missing in Windows 10 Creators Update [Fix]
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]