- Have you ever encountered the Disk write error in Dota 2?
- You can quickly fix it by checking your hard drive for errors since corrupted files are to blame.
- If that doesn't work, verify the integrity of the game cache and then delete the downloads folder.
- Continue reading below for detailed steps on how to fix the DotA 2 disk write error.
DotA 2 is one of the most popular online multiplayer games, reuniting millions of players every day. Playing DotA 2 is fun, challenging and addictive, but sometimes the game can really get on players’ nerves.
There are various technical issues that may potentially affect the game, and they usually occur at the worst possible moment. Fortunately, these errors are quite rare.
One of the most frequent DotA 2 errors is the update disk write error message. If you’re experiencing this error, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’re going to list a few quick workarounds to fix this error.
So while i was doing the dota 2 update, allmost to the end, my antivirus program finds a “problem” or a trojan as it says in vconsole2.exe. and i get a disk write error. I tryed evrything, disabled my fire wall and antivirus, restarted the updated again same error at the same place […]
How do I fix disk write errors for DotA 2 on Windows 10?
- Check your hard drive for errors
- Update your drivers
- Disable your antivirus’ firewall
- Verify the integrity of the game cache
- Install DotA 2 on another drive
- Winsock reset
- Delete certain folders
1. Check your hard drive for errors
- Right-click the hard drive where you installed DotA 2 and select Properties.
- Go to Tools
- Click Check
Sometimes, file system errors can lead to Steam and DotA 2 problems.
However, if the problem perfsisist and you’re sure that disk issues are to blam, you could also consider the use of a more powerful solution, and that is using a third-party tool like Restoro.
Besides being a generic Registry and DLL fixes, Restoro can easily handle disk errors as well, even those that Windows 10 itself cannot handle without a full CHKDSK or a SFC scan.
Fix your PC so you can fix DotA2. Try Restoro today and feel your PC running flawlessly again!
2. Update your drivers
Outdated drivers have also been commonly associated with disk write errors, especially if the ones powering your HDD are incredibly old, or possibly even never updated.
Unlike other hardware components where it is easy to just visit the manufacturer’s website and get the driver, these are a bit trickier to handle, and it is best to leave them in the hands of dedicated third-party software.
That is why we recommend you try our DriverFix, a tool that is almost completely automated, created to find missing drivers, repair broken ones, and update the older ones, all within a few minutes.
Simply launch it, let it scan your Pc for problematic drivers, allow it to download and install them, and you’re all set.
3. Disable your antivirus’ firewall
Some users reported that they are also experiencing this particular DotA 2 error due to their firewall interfering. so another solution that you should try is to either disable Windows 10 Firewall, or that of your antivirus.
While this could potentially fix the issue, you will be left exposed without a firewall to protect you, especially if you forget to turn it back on after you’re done playing.
So, instead of disabling your firewall, you could try using an antivirus tool that has better firewall flexibility, or at least on that is easier to turn off and back on again, such as BullGuard.
4. Verify the integrity of the game cache
- Open your Steam Client > go to Library.
- Right-click on DotA 2 and select Properties.
- Under Local Files > choose Verify integrity of game cache…
- Wait until the process has finished and try to run your game again.
Another way to repair corrupted files is through Steam‘s integrity checker.
5. Install DotA 2 on another drive
This issue may be triggered by some corrupted files on the drive. If you have a SSD or a second hard drive, install DotA 2 there and the problem should disappear.
6. Winsock reset
- In the Windows search box type cmd, right-click the first result, and select Run as administrator.
- In cmd, type netsh and then press Enter.
- Now, type winsock reset, press Enter and wait until your computer restarts.
7. Delete certain folders
7.1. Delete the Download folder
- Go to
- Delete the downloading folder
- Steam will download the update again
7.2 Delete the Common file
- Go to
- Look for a DotA 2 file without an extension
- Delete it
- Hit play on the game in Steam and this should let you launch the game.
7.3. Delete any 0 KB files
- Go to
- Navigate to Steam > Steamapps > common
- Scroll down and when you see a 0 KB file, delete it
- Restart your DotA 2 update
There you go, we hope these solutions helped you fix the DotA 2 update disk write errors on Windows 10 and you can enjoy the game.
If you are aware of another way to solve the update disk write error in DotA 2, please post it in the comments section below along with any other questions.