Dota 2 is one of the most popular online multiplayer games, reuniting millions of players every day. Playing Dota 2 is fun, challenging and addictive, but sometimes the game can really get on players’ nerves.
There are various technical issues that may potentially affect the game, and they usually occur at the worst possible moment. Fortunately, these errors are quite rare.
One of the most frequent Dota 2 errors is the update disk write error message. If you’re experiencing this error, you’re in the right place. In this article, we’re going to list a few quick workarounds to fix this error.
So while i was doing the dota 2 update, allmost to the end, my antivirus program finds a “problem” or a trojan as it says in vconsole2.exe. and i get a disk write error. I tryed evrything, disabled my fire wall and antivirus, restarted the updated again same error at the same place […]
How do I fix Disk write error in Dota 2? You can quickly fix it by checking your hard drive for errors. In most cases, corrupted files are triggering the error. If that doesn’t work, verify the integrity of the game cache and then delete the downloads folder.
Easy fixes for Dota 2 disk write errors on Windows 10
- Check your hard drive for errors
- Verify the integrity of the game cache
- Install Dota 2 on another drive
- Winsock reset
- Delete the downloads folder
- Delete a specific Dota 2 file
- Delete the 0 KB file
- Other common fixes
Solution 1 – Check your hard drive for errors
Sometimes, file system errors can lead to Steam and Dota 2 problems. To solve them, check and repair your drive:
- Right-click the hard drive where you installed Dota 2 and select Properties.
- Go to Tools > click Check.
-READ ALSO: 14 best HDD health check software for PC users
Solution 2 – Verify the integrity of the game cache
Another way to repair corrupted files it through Steam‘s integrity checker. To use it, follow the steps:
- Open your Steam Client > go to Library.
- Right-click on Dota 2 and select Properties.
- Under Local Files > choose Verify integrity of game cache…
- Wait until the process has finished and try to run your game again.
Solution 3 – Install Dota 2 on another drive
This issue may be triggered by some corrupted files on the drive. If you have a SSD or a second hard drive, install Dota 2 there and the problem should disappear.
- READ ALSO: 7 best USB-C external HDDs and SSDs
Solution 4 – Winsock reset
- In the Windows search box type cmd, right-click the first re sult, and select Run as administrator.
- In cmd, type netsh and then press Enter.
- Now, type winsock reset, press Enter and wait until your computer restarts.
Solution 5 – Delete the downloads folder
Go to the Steam/SteamApps folder > delete the downloading folder > Steam will download the update again.
Solution 6 – Delete a specific Dota 2 file
Go to C:Program FilesSteamsteamappscommon > look for a Dota 2 file without an extension > delete it > hit play on the game in Steam and this should let you launch the game.
Solution 7 – Delete the 0 KB file
- Go to C: > Program Files(x86).
- Navigate to Steam > Steamapps > common.
- Scroll down and when you see a 0 KB file, delete it.
- Restart your Dota 2 update.
Solution 8 – Other common fixes
- Check if your Firewall is blocking Steam‘s communication with the server.
- Disable your antivirus program.
- Update your drivers.
There you go, we hope these solutions helped you fix the Dota 2 update disk write errors on Windows 10 and you can enjoy the game.
If you are aware of another way to solve the update disk write error in Dota 2, please post it in the comments section below along with any other questions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.