Getting error 79 on your HP printer? We’ve got solutions!
One of the most frustrating moments when using a printer is when you get an error, more so when you don’t know what to do next.
Before you can fix the error 79 on your printer, it’s good to know the causes so that next time it shows up, you’re ready for it because you know exactly where it’s coming from.
Error 79 is displayed on your HP printer’s control panel in two ways:
- Error 79 turn off then on
- Error 79 service error turn off then on – meaning an incompatible DIMM was probably installed.
Fix HP Service Error 79 with these solutions
1. Error 79 turn off then on
If your HP printer displays this type of error 79, chances are it has experienced internal firmware error.
Here are the steps to fix this:
- Turn the printer’s power off
- Wait for at least 30 seconds or so
- Turn on the power again
- Wait for the printer to initialize
Note: If you are using a power surge protector, first remove it, then plug back the printer directly to the wall socket, before turning on the power again.
If the Error 79 message persists on your printer’s display, do the following:
- Disconnect any network or USB cables, as well as the power cycle. If the printer goes back to Ready status, check its firmware version, then update the firmware in case a newer version is available.
In order to find your printer’s firmware version, print a Configuration Report from the printer’s control panel, or you can also visit the HP Support page to check for the latest firmware version available.
In case the error 79 issue recurs on your printer, try and isolate it to something that could be in your own environment. Delete any print jobs from your computer, or any other computers connected to the printer, then perform a test print job.
2. Reinstall DIMM
If you just installed a memory DIMM in your HP printer, here’s what you need to do to resolve the error 79 issue:
- The first thing you need to do is turn off the printer
- Next, remove the DIMM
- Reinstall the DIMM to confirm that it sits properly in the printer
- Turn on the HP printer
If the error 79 issue persists, do the following:
- Remove any installed DIMMS
- Perform a retest on your HP printer
- If the print work is fine, install a DIMM that is supported by your printer
3. Reinstall drivers
Another viable step is to completely remove the printer device from your PC and reinstall it again. This approach requires you to uninstall both drivers and HP associated software and that shouldn’t be hard. Here’s what you need to do:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Control and open Control Panel.
- Choose Uninstall a program and remove all HP printer-related software.
- Right-click Start and open Device Manager.
- Under the Print queues, remove the HP device by uninstalling it.
- Restart your PC and wait until the driver is installed automatically.
- Install the HP associated software again and, hopefully, that should be enough to fix the problem.
4. Contact HP Support
In case the error 79 message persists, kindly get in touch with HP’s Customer Support team with specifics on your issue and they’ll be glad to assist you.
We sure hope one of these solutions helped you. Let us know your experience in the comments section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
FAQ: Learn more about HP error 79
- What is HP service error 79?
Service error 79 on HP printers indicates that the print job is corrupted or the printer firmware is outdated. As a result, the spooler fails to communicate with the printer.
- Why is my printer connected but not printing?
If your printer is connected but fails to print, this could be due to ink or cartridge issues, jammed paper or faulty cable or USB connections to the printer.
- Why is my printer in error mode?
If your printer is in error mode, this indicates there is a problem with the printer itself. This could be due to faulty hardware or outdated firmware. Make sure the printer is connected to your computer, the ink cartridge has enough ink and there’s no jammed paper in the tray.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has since been updated for freshness and accuracy.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2017 and was revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.