- Users often get an error message that their camera is being used by another application. Thankfully, though, this problem is not a dead-end one.
- When getting this error too, you may need to update your Microsoft Store apps or disable the firewall. To nail down the culprit, check if Windows Firewall is blocking the camera app.
- Regardless of the reasons, if you're experiencing issues with the built-in camera on your computer, the camera errors section will help you answer questions and troubleshoot the problems.
- If you're looking for info on how to fix other similar issues, visit our dedicated Windows 10 errors hub.
If you have tried using your camera from an application on Windows 10, you might get an error message that your camera is being used by another application.
In this guide, you will learn what exactly the root cause of this error is and what steps you need to take to fix it in the shortest time possible.
In this case, the next time you will try using the hing” itemid=”http://data.windowsreport.com/windowsreport/entity/camera”>camera you might get this error because it is still running in the background registries of Windows 10.
Camera is being used by another application is perhaps one of the most frequent error messages that users get on Windows 10. So, if you’re experiencing this problem, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below.
How can I fix Camera is being used by another app?
1. Run the troubleshooter
- Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- View of all troubleshooters available in Windows 10.
- Select the type of troubleshooting you want to do.
- Up next, simply select Run the troubleshooter.
- Let the application run.
- If you see a message that no changes were necessary, you may move on to the next procedures.
- If any changes are made, you will need to reboot your Windows 10 device.
- Try again your camera and see if you still have the same issue.
2. Disable your firewall
- Move the mouse pointer over to the upper side of the screen.
- After the Charms bar has opened you will need to left-click on the Search feature.
- In the search box, you have there you need to write firewall.
- After the search is finished left click or tap on the Windows Firewall icon.
- Left-click or tap on the Turn Windows Firewall on or off feature.
- If you are asked to enter an administrator account do so.
- Left-click or tap on the Turn Windows firewall off(not recommended ) feature.
- Left-click or tap on the OK button.
- Try and see if you still have the camera being used by another app issue.
- If you do not then it means that your firewall was blocking your access to the camera in that specific application you were using.
3. Update your Microsoft Store apps
- Check on Microsoft Store for an update on that specific application.
- If it is a more recent update for the Windows 10 operating system then you will need to update the application and try using your camera again.
4. Uninstall problematic apps
- If the methods above did not work for you then you will need to right-click on the app you are trying to use the camera from.
- Left-click or tap on the Uninstall feature.
- Left-click again on the Uninstall button you have in the next window.
- Left-click or tap on the Store icon after the uninstall process is finished.
- Left-click or tap on the Accounts feature.
- Left-click or tap on My apps.
- Left-click or tap on the app you uninstalled and left-click on the Install button.
- Try and see if your camera is working properly.
5. Change camera privacy settings
Windows lets you easily control which apps and programs can access your camera. If the error message persists, try checking your camera privacy settings and make sure that the app you’re using does have access to your camera.
You can also disable all app camera access and then allow only particular apps to access it. You can check if your camera is enabled by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Privacy
- Go to Camera > enable Let apps use my camera and select which apps can access it.
6. Additional solutions
- Disable your antivirus software because sometimes your antivirus might be blocking your camera.
- Reset the app that’s triggering this error message
- Uninstall app or software updates — some users confirmed they fixed this problem after uninstalling recent updates
You are done, after applying the methods posted above you should have your camera up and running in the Windows 10 operating system.
If you have any additional issues relating to this subject, write us below in the comments section and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
FAQ: Learn more about your camera in Windows 10
- Why does it say my webcam is being used by another application?
As you can see in this article dedicated to fixing Camera is being used by another app, this error message can be caused by several reasons.
For example, you closed your operating system without closing the application you used the camera on.
- What programs are using my camera?
The info you are looking for is available in Settings > Privacy > Camera. If a program is currently accessing your webcam, you’ll see the Currently in use text under the application’s name.
- How do I test my webcam in Windows 10?
Testing your webcam in Windows 10 is no rocket science, so use one of the many apps that can access it, such as Skype. Count on us to solve any issue via this simple guide on how to fix Skype camera not working.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2014 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.