If you have tried using your camera from an application on Windows 8 or Windows 10, or even Windows 7, you might get an error message that your camera is being used by another application. In this guide, you will learn what exactly the root cause of this error is and what steps you need to take to fix it in the shortest time possible.
The error message that the camera is being used by another applications in Windows 8 or Windows 10 can be the cause of several reasons, one of which is that you closed your Windows 8 or Windows 10 operating system without closing the application you used the camera on. In this case, the next time you will try using the camera you might get this error because it is still running in the background registries of the Windows 8 or Windows 10.
Skype camera is being used by another application is perhaps one of the most frequent error messages that Skype users get on Windows 10. So, if you’re experiencing this problem, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below.
SOLVED: Camera is being used by another application
- Download Microsoft’s troubleshooter
- Disable your firewall
- Update your Microsoft Store apps
- Uninstall problematic apps
- Change camera privacy settings
- Additional solutions
1. Download Microsoft’s troubleshooter
- Open the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Left click or tap on the link posted below in order to download the Windows 8, Windows 10 troubleshooter app.
Download here troubleshooter app.
- Left click or tap on the “Save File” feature.
- Left click on the “OK” button.
- Now it will take you to a window where you will need to place the directory in which you want to download this application.
- After you chose the directory left click or tap on the “Save” button.
- After the application is downloaded go to the location where you saved it and double click (left click) on the executable file you have there.
- Let the application run.
- After the troubleshoot applications has finished you will need to reboot your Windows 8 or Windows 10 device.
- Try again your camera and see if you still have the same issue.
2. Disable your firewall
- Move the mouse pointer over to the upper side of the screen.
- After the Charms bar has opened you will need to left click on the “Search” feature.
- In the search box you have there you need to write “firewall”.
- After the search is finished left click or tap on the “Windows Firewall” icon.
- Left click or tap on the “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” feature.
- If you are asked to enter an administrator account do so.
- Left click or tap on the “Turn Windows firewall off(not recommended )” feature.
- Left click or tap on the “OK” button.
- Try and see if you still have the “camera being used by another app” issue.
- If you do not then it means that your firewall was blocking your access to the camera in that specific application you were using.
3. Update your Microsoft Store apps
- Check on Windows Store for an update on that specific application.
- If there is a latest update for the Windows 8 or Windows 10 operating system then you will need to update the application and try using your camera again.
— RELATED: Fix: Camera App Not Working in Windows 10
4. Uninstall problematic apps
- If the methods above did not work for you then you will need to right click on the app you are trying to use the camera from.
- Left click or tap on the “Uninstall” feature.
- Left click again on the “Uninstall” button you have in the next window.
- Left click or tap on the “Store” icon after the uninstall process is finished.
- Left click or tap on the “Accounts” feature.
- Left click or tap on “My apps”.
- Left click or tap on the app you uninstalled and left click on the “Install” button.
- Try and see if your camera is working properly.
5. Change camera privacy settings
Windows lets you easily control which apps and programs can access your camera. If the error message persists, try checking your camera privacy settings and make sure that the app you’re using does have access to your camera. You can also disable all app camera access and then allow only particular apps to access it.
You can check if your camera is enabled by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Privacy
- Go to Camera > enable Let apps use my camera and select which apps can access it.
6. Additional solutions
- Disable your antivirus software because sometimes your antivirus might be blocking your camera.
- Reset the app that’s triggering this error message
- Uninstall app or software updates — some users confirmed they fixed this problem after uninstalling recent updates
You are done, after applying the methods posted above you should have your camera up and running in the Windows 8 or Windows 10 operating system. If you have any additional issues relating this subject, write us below in the comments section and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Skype camera not working in Windows 10
- Fix: Can’t upload pictures from my camera on Windows 10
- Fix: Laptop Camera Doesn’t Work in Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.