- Holding a video chat call or a video conference call can be very productive or even fun. Having a good, working laptop camera is an essential piece of hardware for this to happen.
- Usually, if the camera is not working as it should, you can fix this by updating the drivers and making sure any webcam protection software is properly configured.
- There are many useful tools, software and fixes related to the webcam, so be sure to check out all the articles that we wrote on these topics.
- After you fixed your webcam, perhaps there are things we can help you with. Why not check our Laptop & PC hub for many troubleshooting guides.
But the laptop camera may not always launch or work the way it is ordinarily expected to. Here are solutions to help you fix your laptop camera when it just won’t work.
How can I fix my laptop camera on Windows 10:
- Run Hardware troubleshooter
- Update the laptop camera driver
- Reinstall the laptop camera
- Install driver in compatibility mode
- Roll back driver
- Check your antivirus software
- Check camera privacy settings
- Create a new user profile
- How to fix camera issues on specific laptop models
Solution 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter
If you’re experiencing problems with the recently installed device or hardware on your computer, then run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to resolve the issue.
This checks for commonly occurring issues and ensures any new device or hardware is correctly installed on your computer. Here’s how to go about it:
- Right-click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Go to the “View by” option in the top right corner
- Click the drop-down arrow and select Large icons
- Click Troubleshooting
- Click View all option on the left pane
- Click Hardware and Devices
- Click Next
Follow the instructions to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will begin detecting any issues.
You can’t open Control Panel? Take a look at this step-by-step guide to find a solution.
Solution 2: Update the laptop camera driver
- Right-click Start
- Select Device Manager
- Go to Imaging Devices and click to expand it
- Right click on the laptop camera or integrated webcam driver
- Select Update Driver software
- When prompted to choose How do you want to search driver, select Search automatically for updated driver software. If there’s an available driver on your computer, select Browse my computer for driver software then choose the appropriate location for updating it (make sure you’re online to do this)
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- Select USB Video device
- Click Next then follow the on-screen instructions
- Restart your computer
If this doesn’t fix the chop, go to the next solution.
Solution 3: Reinstall the laptop camera
In order to reinstall the laptop camera driver, especially for HP users, do the following:
- Right-click Start button
- Select Device Manager
- Go to Imaging devices and click the arrow to expand the list
- Right click on your laptop camera or integrated webcam
- Choose Uninstall
- Reboot your computer
Let it install the driver automatically on PC start, then launch the laptop camera again to check if this resolves the issue.
Solution 4: Install driver in compatibility mode
Follow these steps to install the laptop camera in compatibility mode:
- Download the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website
- Save it on your local disk
- Right click on the driver set up file
- Click Properties
- Click Compatibility tab
- Check the box next to Run this program in Compatibility mode
- Select the Operating System from the drop-down list
- The driver will install, then check its functionality.
- Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
FAQ: Learn more about the camera
- Why is the camera on my laptop not working?
If your laptop camera suddenly stopped working, it is perhaps a Windows Update was performed. Either the update broke the functionality, in which case you need to remove the update, or the webcam driver is not working properly and needs to be updated.
- How do I get my computer to recognize my camera?
Most webcams are automatically recognized as soon as they are plugged in and powered on (optional) if they are not integrated.
- Why webcam is not detected?
If a certain software is unable to use the webcam it is usually because of a faulty device driver. Update the device driver to fix this.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page with additional solutions to fix webcam issues. If you want to read more on how to optimize your webcam on Windows 10, check out our collection of guides.