How to fix font size problems in Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard image-editing application. However, the software still has some font issues. Some Photoshop users have found that the fonts on their images don’t match the selected point values. Thus, the image’s text is either too large or small. This is how you can resolve font size issues in Photoshop.
How to fix small font on Adobe Photoshop
- Select the Reset Character Option
- Update Photoshop
- Switch the Type Units to Pixels
- Deselect the Resample Image Setting
- Adjust Text With Free Transform Mode
- Change the Image’s Font
- Clear the Windows Font Cache
Select the Reset Character Option
First, select the Reset Character option to reset all the text settings to their default configuration. This will undo any settings that might have had an impact on the font rendering and scaling. You can revert the text options to default by clicking Window > Character and pressing the fly out menu button at the top right of the Character panel. Select Reset Character to restore the options to default.
Photoshop updates can fix font size issues and other bugs. To check for Photoshop updates, click Help > Updates. A small window will then open informing you if new updates are available or not.
Switch the Type Units to Pixels
Image resolution can have a big impact on text size if you’re using the points unit. The picture resolution will adjust how many pixels represent a font point value. As such, your picture’s text might seem too large because the image has a high PPI resolution. To get a more consistent font size, switch points to pixel units as follows.
- Click Photoshop’s Edit menu and select Preferences to expand a submenu.
- Select Unit & Rulers from the submenu to open the window shown directly below.
- Select pixels from the Type drop-down menu.
- Press the OK button to apply the new settings.
Deselect the Resample Image Setting
- Deselecting the Resample Image option in Adobe Photoshop can also fix inconsistent font size issues. To do that, click Image and Resize in Photoshop.
- Select Image Resize to open the window directly below.
- Deselect Resample Image if that option is selected.
- Enter the exact dimensions of the image in the Width and Height boxes. You can find image dimension details by right-clicking a file in File Explorer and selecting Properties > Details.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Now select a text box in your image and adjust the font’s size.
Adjust Text With Free Transform Mode
If the font appears tiny on a larger scale image, the Free Transform Mode tool might come in handy. That’s a tool with which you can resize text by expanding a bounding box. After entering some text with the Horizontal Type Tool, press the Ctrl + T hotkey. Hold the Shift key and left mouse button to resize the font by dragging the border of the bounding box with cursor.
Change the Image’s Font
There are few fonts that don’t work so well in Photoshop. They are the Zippy, SF Tattle Tales Condensed, ZEROGEBI, JH_TITLES, GURAKH_S, SCREEN, SEVESBRG and 21kannmbn fonts. If your image happens to include one of those fonts, select the text and choose an alternative font.
Clear the Windows Font Cache
Clearing the Windows font cache is an effective general fix for Photoshop font issues. You can erase the system font cache by opening File Explorer.
- Then open this folder path in File Explorer: C: > Windows > ServiceProfiles > LocalService > Appdata > Local.
- Next, right-click the *FNTCACHE*.DAT or *FontCache*.dat file and select Delete.
- You can also navigate to Users > [user name] > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CC, CC 2014, or CC 2015 in File Explorer to clear Photoshop’s font cache.
- Right-click the CT Font Cache folder and select Delete to erase it.
Those are a few resolutions that can fix Photoshop font size issues. You can also check for and repair corrupted fonts with software such as FontDoctor, which is retailing at $69.99 on this website page.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Blurry photos? 7 super tools to help you fix this
- 4 best HTML5 online photo editors to use in 2017
- Review: Macphun Luminar Beta for Windows is powerful photo editing tool
Microsoft is back again with another major feature update. The tech giant officially released Windows 10 May 2019 Update a few days ago. The big […]
Windows 10 users can now download the stable version of the Windows 10 May 2019 Update (aka Windows v1903). This update brings some unique features and […]
With the Windows 10 version 1903 barely upon us, some issues seem to come up more than others. A part of them are affecting the […]