- Forza Horizon 3 often crashes - that’s not something new. Users know it and need help to solve this.
- If you’re one of them too, don’t allow Forza Horizon 3 to use your microphone and reset the game.
- Visit our Windows 10 Troubleshooting section to fix all issues and focus on becoming a great gamer.
- This Gaming Hub can help you take your abilities up a notch, so do not hesitate to bookmark it.
Forza Horizon fans all over the world should be able to play the popular game and push the pedal to the metal. For many gamers, the joy doesn’t last too long.
They downloaded and installed the game. When they tried to launch it, however, it immediately crashed.
Other gamers were a bit luckier, they were able to launch the game, but couldn’t advance due to various issues.
The Forza Horizon 3 developers quickly reacted, acknowledging the crashes. The team also posted a guide aimed at helping gamers to avoid such situations, and also offered a series of quick workarounds.
What can I do if Forza Horizon 3 crashes on Windows 10?
1. Check your antivirus
According to users, one of the most common causes for Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC can be your antivirus.
Having a good antivirus is crucial for your safety, but sometimes it can interfere with certain applications, and that can prevent them from running or cause them to crash.
To fix this problem, simply try disabling certain antivirus features or remove your antivirus altogether and check if that helps.
If this solves the problem, perhaps this is a perfect time to consider switching to a different antivirus.
There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want a reliable antivirus that won’t interfere with your system, Bitdefender is the best choice.
It has a great VPN tool incorporated, lots of multi-layer engines, and a huge signature database that will keep you safe from every appearing threat.
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus+If you choose Bitdefender, there’s no need to worry about safety and Forza Horizon 3 crashing issues.
2. Update your graphics card drivers
One of the common causes for Forza Horizon 3 crashes is actually related to your graphics card drivers. Your drivers can be outdated and that can lead to various issues.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you update your graphics card drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
To do that, you basically have to visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.
After installing the latest drivers, check if the problem is still there. However, do keep in mind that downloading drivers manually can be a bit tedious, especially if you don’t know what drivers to install.
Do not hesitate to make this process a lot simpler simply by using DriverFix, an efficient tool that can update all your drivers at once.
The best part is that you can even create drivers’ backups before making changes. As for that database of 18 million driver files, it grows day by day.
DriverFixDon’t know how to solve Forza Horizon 3 crashes issues? Use DriverFix to easily update graphics card drivers!
3. Don’t allow Forza Horizon 3 to use your microphone
- Open the Settings app. You can do so quickly by pressing Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Once the Settings app opens, navigate to the Privacy section.
- Select Microphone from the left pane. In the right pane locate Forza Horizon 3 and disable the microphone for it by clicking the little switch next to it.
This is a peculiar issue, but it seems that Forza Horizon 3 crashes if you allow the application to use the microphone.
As a workaround, users are suggesting that you disable the microphone in Forza Horizon 3 on your PC. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following the above steps.
After doing that, the problem should be completely resolved and everything will start working again.
4. Make sure that you’re using a dedicated graphics card
If Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC, the problem might be your graphics card.
If you have both integrated and dedicated graphics, issues can occur if you choose to use the integrated graphics instead of the dedicated ones.
To fix the problem, make sure that your integrated graphics is disabled, or check your graphics card software and make sure that Forza Horizon 3 is set to use your dedicated graphics.
After making these changes, the issue should be resolved.
5. Make sure that Windows Update service is running
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Enter services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
- When the Services window opens, locate the Windows Update service and double-click it to open its properties.
- Make sure that the Startup type is set to Manual or Automatic. If the service isn’t running, click the Start button. Now click Apply and OK to save changes.
Apparently, the Windows Update service can cause problems with Forza Horizon 3. If Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC, that can be because your Windows Update service is disabled.
To fix this problem, you just need to manually enable this service by doing as described above. After enabling this service, check if the problem is still there.
Having more trouble updating your Windows? Check out this quick guide that will help you solve them in no time.
6. Try using Forza Horizon 3 drivers
Microsoft is already aware of this issue, and it’s working on a fix. If Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC, the problem might be related to your drivers.
In order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you completely remove your graphics card drivers and then use Forza Horizon 3 drivers.
To completely remove your drivers, we strongly suggest that you use Display Driver Uninstaller, as described in this dedicated article.
By using this software you’ll completely remove all traces of your graphics card driver. Up next, install Forza Horizon 3 drivers and the issue should be resolved.
7. Disconnect unnecessary USB devices and additional monitors
If Forza Horizon 3 keeps crashing on your PC, the problem might be your USB devices.
According to users, sometimes certain devices can lead to this problem on your PC, so it might be best to disconnect them.
As a rule of thumb, you should only have essential devices, such as keyboard and mouse, connected in order to avoid this problem.
After disconnecting additional USB devices, check if the problem is still there.
In addition, you might want to disconnect any additional monitors that you have since the game doesn’t work well with multiple displays.
8. Reset the game to the default
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Apps section.
- Locate Forza Horizon 3, select it, and click on Advanced options.
- Click the Reset button to reset it. Now click the Reset button to confirm.
Sometimes Forza Horizon 3 crashes because its installation is corrupted. This can occur for various reasons and in order to fix the problem, you should reset the game’s settings to the default.
This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following the above steps. After doing that, the game will restore the default settings and the problem should be resolved.
Gamers also listed the workarounds they themselves developed to fix the annoying Forza Horizon 3 crashes. They include:
- Disabling all the accounts in the Microsoft Store.
- Turning off Drivatar Designs in Settings.
- Some players have reported issues when running InputMapper. Running it in exclusive mode appears to fix the issues.
- Players using Intel Kentsfield Core 2 Quad processors may experience the title closing immediately on boot. These processors fall below the minimum spec and are not officially supported. There are no known workarounds at this point.
- Players may find the game will not boot on single or dual-core machines. These CPUs fall below minimum spec and are not supported.
If you’re experiencing Forza Horizon 3 crashes, try the suggestions and workarounds listed above and see if they solve the problem.
Forza Horizon 3 is a great game, but sometimes certain issues can occur. Speaking of Forza 3 issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Forza Horizon 3 freeze and crash, grey screen crash – According to users, if your game tends to freeze and crash, the problem might be your antivirus. If that’s the case, disable your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
- Forza Horizon 3 crashes instantly – This problem can occur due to your privacy settings. Many users reported that their microphone caused this issue to appear, but after disabling the Microphone in Forza Horizon 3, the problem was resolved.
- Forza Horizon 3 crash on loading screen – These problems can appear due to your graphics card settings, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you update the drivers to the latest version and check if that solves the problem.
- Forza Horizon 3 crashes on startup, randomly – If you have any of these problems, be sure to try the solutions from this article and check if that helps.
However, it is worth mentioning that some gamers reported the crashes continued even after they tried all the available fixes.
It seems that all they can do is wait for the developers to push an update aimed at fixing these issues.
How has your Forza Horizon 3 experience been so far? Tell us more about it in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2016 and was revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.