What to do if Forza Horizon 3 crashes on Windows 10
Forza Horizon 3 fans can now play the awaited game and push the pedal to the metal. The game was launched a few days ago, but for many gamers, the joy lasted only a few minutes, until they downloaded and installed the game. When they tried to launch it, the game immediately crashed. Other gamers were a bit luckier, they were able to launch the game, but couldn’t advance due to various issues.
The game developers quickly reacted, acknowledging the crashes. The team also posted a guide aimed at helping gamers to avoid such situations, and also offered a series of quick workarounds.
Forza Horizon 3 crashes big time on Windows 10
Forza Horizon 3 is a great game, but sometimes certain issues can occur. Speaking of Forza 3 issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Forza Horizon 3 freeze and crash, grey screen crash – According to users, if your game tens to freeze and crash, the problem might be your antivirus. If that’s the case, disable your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
- Forza Horizon 3 crashes instantly – Sometimes this problem can occur due to your privacy settings. Many users reported that their microphone caused this issue to appear, but after disabling the Microphone in Forza Horizon 3, the problem was resolved.
- Forza Horizon 3 crash on loading screen, splash screen – These problems can appear due to your graphics card settings, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you update the drivers to the latest version and check if that solves the problem.
- Forza Horizon 3 crashes on startup, randomly – If you have any of these problems, be sure to try the solutions from this article and check if that helps.
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
According to users, one of the most common causes for Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC can be your antivirus. Having a good antivirus is crucial for your safety, but sometimes your antivirus can interfere with certain applications, and that can prevent them from running or cause them to crash.
To fix this problem, simply try disabling certain antivirus features or disable your antivirus altogether and check if that helps. In case that doesn’t work, your next step would be to remove your antivirus from your PC. If you decide to do so, you should know that you’ll still be protected by Windows Defender, so there’s no need to worry about your safety.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, perhaps this is a perfect time to consider switching to a different antivirus. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want a reliable antivirus that won’t interfere with your system, we would have to recommend Bitdefender.
– Get now Bitdefender 2019 at a special price
It has a great VPN tool incorporated, lots of multi-layer engines and a huge signature database that will keep you safe from every appearing threat.
Solution 2 – Don’t allow Forza Horizon 3 to use your microphone
This is a peculiar issue, but it seems that Forza Horizon 3 crashes if you allow the application to use the microphone. As a workaround, users are suggesting that you disable microphone in Forza Horizon 3 on your PC. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app. You can do so quickly by pressing Windows Key + I.
- Once the Settings app opens, navigate to the Privacy section.
- Select Microphone from the left pane. In the right pane locate Forza Horizon 3 and disable the microphone for it by clicking the little switch next to it.
After doing that, the problem should be completely resolved and everything will start working again.
Solution 3 – Make sure that you’re using a dedicated graphics card
If Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC, the problem might be your graphics card. If you have both integrated and dedicated graphics, issues can occur if you choose to use the integrated graphics instead of the dedicated.
To fix the problem, make sure that your integrated graphics is disabled, or check your graphics card software and make sure that Forza Horizon 3 is set to use your dedicated graphics. After making these changes, the issue should be resolved.
Solution 4 – Make sure that Windows Update service is running
Apparently, Windows Update service can cause problems with Forza Horizon 3. If Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC, that can be because your Windows Update service is disabled. To fix this problem, you just need to manually enable this service by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Enter services.msc and press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Windows Update service and double-click it to open its properties.
- Make sure that Startup type is set to Manual or Automatic. If the service isn’t running, click the Start button. Now click Apply and OK to save changes.
After enabling this service, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 5 – Update your graphics card drivers
One of the common causes for Forza Horizon 3 crashes can be your graphics card drivers. Sometimes your drivers can be outdated and that can lead to various issues. To fix the problem, it’s advised that you update your graphics card drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
To do that, visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card. After installing the latest drivers, check if the problem is still there.
Downloading drivers manually can be a bit tedious, especially if you don’t know what driver you need to download and install. However, you can make this process a lot simpler simply by using TweakBit Driver Updater software.
This software is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus. Our team concluded after several tests that this is the best automated tool. Here’s a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Solution 6 – Try using Forza Horizon 3 drivers
Microsoft is already aware of this issue, and it’s working on a fix. If Forza Horizon 3 crashes on your PC, the problem might be related to your drivers. In order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you completely remove your graphics card drivers and then use Forza Horizon 3 drivers.
To completely remove your drivers, we strongly suggest that you use Display Driver Uninstaller software. By using this software you’ll completely remove all traces of your graphics card driver. Now install Forza Horizon 3 drivers and the issue should be resolved.
Solution 7 – Disconnect unnecessary USB devices and additional monitors
If Forza Horizon 3 keeps crashing on your PC, the problem might be your USB devices. According to users, sometimes certain devices can lead to this problem on your PC, so it might be best to disconnect them. As a rule of thumb, you should only have essential devices, such as keyboard and mouse, connected in order to avoid this problem.
After disconnecting additional USB devices, check if the problem is still there. In addition, you might want to disconnect any additional monitors that you have since the game doesn’t work well with multiple displays.
Solution 8 – Reset the game to the default
Sometimes Forza Horizon 3 crashes because its installation is corrupted. This can occur for various reasons and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you reset the game and its settings to the default. This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Apps section.
- Locate Forza Horizon 3, select it and click on Advanced options.
- Click the Reset button to reset it. Now click the Reset button to confirm.
After doing that, the game will restore the default settings and the problem should be resolved.
Gamers also listed the workarounds they themselves developed to fix the annoying Forza Horizon 3 crashes. They include:
- Disabling all the accounts in the Windows Store.
- Turning off Drivatar Designs in Settings.
- Some players have reported issues when running InputMapper. Running it in exclusive mode appears to fix the issues.
- Players using Intel Kentsfield Core 2 Quad processors may experience the title closing immediately on boot. These processors fall below the minimum spec and are not officially supported. There are no known workarounds at this point.
- Players may find the game will not boot on single or dual core machines. These CPUs fall below minimum spec and are not supported.”
If you’re experiencing Forza Horizon 3 crashes, try the suggestions and workarounds listed above and see if they solve the problem. However, it is worth mentioning that some gamers reported the crashes continued even after they tried all the available fixes. It seems that all they can do is wait for the developers to push an update aimed at fixing these issues.
We also recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to scan and fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
How has your Forza Horizon 3 experience been so far? Tell us more about it in the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2016 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- List of wheels supported by Forza Horizon 3 on Windows 10 PC
- 10 best Windows 10 racing games to play
- 8 best tank games for Windows 10
Microsoft released new Japanese and Chinese IMEs to Windows Insiders that are currently enrolled in the Fast Ring. These changes were introduced with the Windows […]
Microsoft is planning to redesign Windows 10 icons in Windows 10 20H1. The company says that the upcoming version of Windows will bring rounded corners […]