- Forza Horizon 3 often crashes - that’s not something new. Users know it and need help to solve this right away.
- If you’re one of them, don’t allow Forza Horizon 3 to use your microphone or reset the game.
- Also, find out what to do if Forza Horizon 3 crashes on Windows 11.
Forza Horizon fans all over the world should be able to play the popular game and push the pedal to the metal. For many gamers, the joy doesn’t last too long. Several users reported that Forza Horizon 3 is crashing.
Other gamers were a bit luckier. They were able to launch the game but couldn’t advance due to various issues in Forza Horizon 3. Speaking of these, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Forza Horizon 3 freeze and crash, grey screen crash – According to users, if your game tends to freeze and crash, the problem might be your antivirus. If that’s the case, disable your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
- Forza Horizon 3 crashes instantly – This problem can occur due to your privacy settings. Many users reported that their microphone caused this issue to appear, but after disabling the Microphone in Forza Horizon 3, the problem was resolved.
- Forza Horizon 3 crash on loading screen – These problems can appear due to your graphics card settings, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you update the drivers to the latest version and check if that solves the problem.
- Forza Horizon 3 crashes on startup randomly – If you have any of these problems, be sure to try the solutions from this article and check if that helps.
The Forza Horizon 3 developers quickly reacted, acknowledging the crashes. The team also posted a guide aimed at helping gamers to avoid such situations, and also offered a series of quick workarounds.
We will be taking up these as well as the ones posted by users on several forums in the following sections.
Older games will always find a way to create incompatibilities with other apps and crash or freeze and disrupt the pleasure of gaming. Fewer apps or features mean fewer problems in the future.
Have all your features and apps integrated into one with the gaming browser, Opera GX. Especially built for gamers, get in control of your gaming station with the features of Opera GX.
Opera GXBuilt for unparalleled gaming and browsing experience for all the gamers.
Why does Forza keep crashing?
There could be various reasons why Forza Horizon 3 keeps crashing on your device. It could be outdated or problematic drivers, critical services not running, or your antivirus messing things up.
Some users also found it was the Nahimic Audio Software’s process that led to the problem, and terminating it did the trick. Besides, modifying the permissions granted to Forza Horizon 3 also helped fix things for several users.
What can I do if Forza Horizon 3 crashes on Windows 10?
1. Update your graphics card drivers
One of the common causes for Forza Horizon 3 crashes is related to your graphics card drivers. Your drivers can be outdated, and that can lead to various issues.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you update your graphics card drivers to the latest version and check if that helps.
To do that, you basically have to visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers.
After installing the latest drivers, check if the problem is still there. However, do keep in mind that downloading drivers manually can be a bit tedious, especially if you don’t know what drivers to install.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
Do not hesitate to make this process a lot simpler simply by using Outbyte Driver Updater, an efficient tool that can update all your drivers at once.
The best part is that you can even create drivers’ backups before making changes. As for that database of 18 million driver files, it grows day by day.
2. Don’t allow Forza Horizon 3 to use your microphone
- Press Windows + I to launch the Settings app, and select Privacy & security from the left.
- Click on Microphone under App permissions.
- Locate Forza Horizon 3, and disable its access to microphone by clicking the toggle next to it.
This is a peculiar issue, but it seems that Forza Horizon 3 is crashing on startup with Fitgirl if you allow the application to use the microphone.
As a workaround, users are suggesting that you disable the microphone in Forza Horizon 3 on your PC. After doing that, the problem should be completely resolved, and everything will start working again.
3. Terminate the Nahimic Audio Software process
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Locate the Nahimic Audio Software process, or one with a similar name, select it, and click the End task button.
This Nahimic Audio Software has been found to lead to issues with several programs including Forza Horizon 3. If disabling the process fixes the error, you can could go ahead and uninstall the app, in case it’s not used on your computer.
4. Make sure that you’re using a dedicated graphics card
If Forza Horizon 3 is crashing on your PC, the problem might be your graphics card.
If you have both integrated and dedicated graphics, issues can occur when you use the integrated graphics instead of the dedicated ones.
To fix the problem, make sure that your integrated graphics is disabled, or check your graphics card software and make sure that Forza Horizon 3 is set to use your dedicated graphics.
After making these changes, the issue should be resolved.
5. Make sure that the Windows Update service is running
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog. Enter services.msc and press click OK.
- When the Services window opens, locate the Windows Update service and double-click to open its properties.
- Make sure that the Startup type is set to Manual or Automatic. If the service isn’t running, click the Start button. Now click on OK to save changes.
If Forza Horizon 3 is crashing on your PC, that can be because your Windows Update service is disabled. Run the service and check if the problem is fixed.
6. Check your antivirus
According to users, one of the most common causes for Forza Horizon 3 crashing on your PC can be the antivirus.
Having a good antivirus is crucial for your safety, but sometimes it can interfere with certain applications, preventing them from running or causing them to crash.
To fix this problem, simply try disabling certain antivirus features or remove your antivirus altogether and check if that helps.
If this solves the problem, perhaps this is a perfect time to consider switching to a different antivirus.
Then if you look for a more efficient antivirus solution that helps while gaming, you can certainly find one from the best antivirus software for gaming.
7. Try using Forza Horizon 3 drivers
Microsoft is already aware of this issue, and it’s working on a fix. If Forza Horizon 3 is crashing on your PC, the problem might be related to your drivers.
To fix the problem, it’s advised that you completely remove your graphics card drivers and then use the dedicated Forza Horizon 3 drivers.
To completely remove your drivers, we strongly suggest using Display Driver Uninstaller. By using this software, you’ll completely remove all traces of your graphics card driver. Up next, install Forza Horizon 3 drivers, and the issue should be resolved.
8. Disconnect unnecessary USB devices and additional monitors
If Forza Horizon 3 keeps crashing on your PC, the problem might be your USB devices.
According to users, sometimes certain devices can lead to this problem on your PC, so it might be best to disconnect them.
As a rule of thumb, you should only have essential devices, such as a keyboard and mouse, connected in order to avoid this problem.
After disconnecting additional USB devices, check if the problem is still there.
In addition, you might want to disconnect any additional monitors since the game doesn’t work well with multiple displays.
9. Reset the game to its default settings
- Press Windows + I to launch Settings, and select Apps from the navigation pane.
- Click on Apps & features on the right.
- Click on the ellipsis next to Forza Horizon 3, and select Advanced options.
- Now, click on the Reset button.
- Again, click Reset in the confirmation prompt that appears.
Sometimes Forza Horizon 3 crashes because its installation is corrupted. This can occur for various reasons, and to fix the problem, you should reset the game’s settings to default. Once done, the Forza Horizon 3 crashes after splash screen problem should be resolved.
Gamers also listed the workarounds they themselves developed to fix the annoying Forza Horizon 3 crashes. They include:
- Disabling all the accounts in the Microsoft Store.
- Turning off Drivatar Designs in Settings.
- Some players have reported issues when running InputMapper. Running it in exclusive mode appears to fix the issues.
- Players using Intel Kentsfield Core 2 Quad processors may experience the title closing immediately on boot. These processors fall below the minimum spec and are not officially supported. There are no known workarounds at this point.
- Players may find the game will not boot on single or dual-core machines. These CPUs fall below minimum spec and are not supported.
What do I do if Forza Horizon 3 is not launching in Windows 11?
The problem with Forza Horizon 3 is not limited to Windows 10, but affects the latest iteration as well. Moreover, several users have reported that Forza Horizon 3 is crashing on Xbox One.
But, the solutions listed here should work on Windows 11 and help fix things if Forza Horizon 3 is crashing.
If you experience Forza Horizon 3 crashing, try the suggestions and workarounds listed above, and the problem will be solved.
However, it is worth mentioning that some gamers reported the crashes continued even after they tried all the available fixes. It seems that all they can do is wait for the developers to push an update to fix these issues.
How has your Forza Horizon 3 experience been so far? Tell us more about it in the comments section below.