Yammer is a social networking service owned by Microsoft that is aimed mainly towards enterprises.
It isn’t exactly the most popular of such programs despite being adamantly pushed and recommended by Microsoft. However, it holds its fair share of users, especially among the Office 365 subscribers.
Because of this, many of the problems that are reported are usually singular cases which are either too obscure to reproduce or happen too rarely to be worth fixing.
Admittedly, there is one prevailing issue that seems to happen more often than others, and namely opening the Yammer app itself.
Most common fixes to make Yammer open properly
1. Change your network settings:
Yammer launch issues can occur when there are problems with your office network.
To diagnose the issue follow these steps precisely:
- Turn on the mobile hotspot on your smartphone.
- Connect your system to mobile hotspot and try to access Yammer.
- Check if you are able to connect to Yammer service.
- If it works, ask your network administrator to look over the company’s network settings
Having a hard time using Yammer? Check out this list of collaboration software to improve workspace communication.
2. Your credentials are already synced with Office 365
Some users have reported that upon launching the app, they are met with a blank screen and three dots that doesn’t give off much information about the app itself:
[…] It is installed and everything but it opens to show only a blank page with 3 black dots. I guess it doesn’t ask for username as all Microsoft Apps are synchronized so it enters directly, but cannot visualize the App itself.
While this issue is not a bug itself but rather a feature, a lot of users seem troubled by it, as it makes them feel bound to their own Yammer credentials because their information is synced.
3. You’ve been inactive for too long
Information from Microsoft’s Yammer support team revealed that if you were inactive in Yammer for more than a month, your account would be suspended automatically.
If you don’t recall the last time you used Yammer, please contact your Global or Verified admin to reactivate your account:
If you are the admin, you can do this by:
- Accessing Yammer
- Select Network admin
- Remove user
- Reactivate account (only if present in suspended list)
- Yammer app for Windows 10, 8 improves employee collaboration
- Yammer Question & Answers identifies which posts need answers
- Yammer error 500? Troubleshoot with these fixes