League of Legends crashes: Here’s how to fix them
League of Legends is a game that you can’t get bored of, although sometimes the various issues that you may encounter can get on your nerves. LoL is overall a stable game, but sometimes is affected by various bugs, especially after players install the latest updates.
In this article, we’re going to focus on game crashes and list the main troubleshooting steps that you can follow to fix this problem.
How to fix League of Legends crashes
1. Check League of Legends minimum system requirements:
- 2 GHz processor (supporting SSE2 instruction set or higher)
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB of RAM for Windows Vista and newer)
- 8 GB available hard disk space
- Shader version 2.0 capable video card
- Screen resolutions up to 1920×1200
- Support for DirectX v9.0c or better
- Windows XP (Service Pack 3 ONLY), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 (genuine copy of Microsoft Windows).
2. Run the latest drivers and game updates
Make sure you’ve installed the latest drivers on your computer as well as the latest game updates. Using the latest optimization resources significantly improves your gaming experience. Use the links below to check if you’re running the latest graphics drivers on your Windows computer:
3. Update DirectX
DirectX allows various LoL to interact with hardware on your computer. For more information about the latest DirectX version and how to install it, go to Microsoft’s Support page.
4. Install the latest Windows updates
The latest Windows updates brings many quality and reliability improvements, making your OS more stable. Go to Settings > Windows Update > click Check for updates and install the latest updates on your computer.
5. Install .Net Framework 3.5
Riot Games explains that one of the dependencies of League of Legends is the .Net Framework 3.5. This means that even if you have the latest Framework version installed, you need to also have the 3.5 version in order to properly play League of Legends.
6. Repair corrupt game files
Corrupt game files can cause the game to crash. Use League of Legends’ file repair function to fix corrupted files:
- Open League of Legends
- Click on the ? icon in the top right-hand corner > click Repair > wait. The repair process can take up to 30 minutes, so be patient.
7. Perform a clean startup:
- Type msconfig in the Search menu > go to the Services tab
- Check Hide all Microsoft services > select the Disable All button
- Click on the Startup tab > select the Disable All button
- Click on the Apply button > OK
- Restart your computer.
8. Reset your graphics card software
Graphics cards come with their own software: NVIDIA comes with the NVIDIA Control Panel and AMD has the Catalyst Control Center. The two programs allow users to set up profiles that potentially interfere with League of Legends. By resetting them to default values, you allow LoL to take control over the graphics settings.
How to reset NVIDIA Control Panel:
- Right-click on your desktop > select NVIDIA Control Panel
- Go to Manage 3D Settings > click Restore Defaults.
How to reset AMD Catalyst Control Center
- Right-click on your desktop > select Catalyst Control Center (aka VISION center)
- Go to Preferences > click on Restore Factory Defaults.
9. Change the LoL’s settings
You can also play around with League of Legends’ settings to find a good balance between performance and quality. Use the configuration listed below to see if this fixes the game crashes.
- Settings: Custom
- Resolution: Match desktop resolution
- Character Quality: Very Low
- Environment Quality: Very Low
- Shadows: No Shadow
- Effects Quality: Very Low
- Frame Rate Cap: 60 FPS
- Wait for Vertical Sync: Unchecked
- Anti-Aliasing: Unchecked.
As always, if you’ve come across other solutions to fix League of Legends crashes, feel free to list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix NBA 2K17 error codes 0f777c90, a21468b6 and 4b538e50
- How to delete and fix Astroneer corrupt save game files
- Fix: Gamepad not recognized in Windows 10
USB flash drives (pen drives, flash sticks) almost completely moved disks out of the picture. They are fast, you can write anything you want whenever […]
Using speech instead of typing has more than one advantage. Lots of users strongly prefer dictation and, even though it’s still unbrushed feature, it’s getting […]