- League of Legends has taken the world by storm when it released in 2009. Since then, it has become a household name and one of most popular MOBA games out there.
- Some players have experienced issues with the game not launching on Windows 10 machines. Luckily, developer Riot Games is quick to patch most issues, but if League of Legends still won't start on your PC, this guide will help you fix it.
- Hooked on League of Legends? Have a look at the other content available on our League of Legends page.
- For even more gaming content, head on over to our awesome gaming hub where we post guides, reviews and fixes on a regular basis.
Launching League of Legends on Windows 10 can sometimes be more difficult than fighting hordes of vicious enemies.
Many players report they often can’t launch the game due to various error messages or simply because nothing happens when they hit the play button.
If you’re experiencing League of Legends start issues, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’re going to list a few workarounds that will help fix these issues and launch the game.
First, let’s see how one gamer describes this issue:
I updated to the new client yesterday and everything was great. I logged out and today the launcher starts but after I hit “Launch” the launcher disappears but no client. Task Manager shows 2 instances of “League Client (32 bit)” running under ‘Background processes’ but I can’t bring it up anywhere. Trying to launch the launcher again gives me the ‘game already running’ pup-up so that’s no help.
How to fix League of Legends launch issues
1. Reinstall your graphics card drivers
According to users, sometimes League of Legends won’t start due to issues with your graphics card.
Your graphics card is crucial for gaming sessions, and if there’s a problem with your graphics card drivers, you might not be able to start League of Legends at all.
To fix this problem, it’s advised to remove your graphics card drivers and use the default drivers instead.
There are several ways to do that, but if you want to completely uninstall your drivers, we suggest you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove them.
Once your drivers are removed, restart your PC and Windows 10 should install the default drivers instead. Once you install the default drivers, check if the problem still persists.
In addition to using the default driver, some users are recommending to install an older version of the graphics driver, so you can try that as well.
Try the next solution if this didn’t fix the chop.
Update drivers automatically
If the solution above doesn’t get the job done, we strongly recommend Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. It automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database. Moreover it keeps you safe from downloading and installing the wrong driver versions, that can cause permanent damage to your computer and its components.
Here is how it works:
- Download and install here TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
2. Change user.cfg and delete LeagueClient.exe
- Go to your League of Legends default install folder > go to RADSsystem.
- Locate the user.cfg file and open with Notepad.
- Change leagueClientOptIn = yes to leagueClientOptIn = no.
- Save and launch League of Legends again.
- Once it opens, go back to your LoL folder > delete the LeagueClient.exe file.
- Save and go to your League install directory and run lol.launcher.exe.
- If LoL still won’t launch, try using the launcher called “lol.launcher.admin.exe” instead.
According to users, if League of Legends won’t start on your PC, the problem might be your user.cfg file. However, you can fix the problem simply by following the steps above.
3. Reinstall the game
If none of these solutions can fix the problem, you might have to remove the game and install it again. There are several ways to do that, but the best one is to use uninstaller software.
In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is a special application that can completely remove any program from your PC.
In addition to removing the selected program, uninstaller software will remove all files and registry entries associated with that program.
As a result, it will be as if the application was never installed on your PC.
There are many great uninstaller applications, but one of the best is IOBit Uninstaller, so we encourage you to try it out. Once you remove the game using this tool, reinstall it and your problem should be resolved.
4. Start the game directly from the installation directory
If League of Legends won’t start on your PC, the problem might be your shortcut.
According to users, sometimes your shortcut might not be working properly, and to fix that issue, it’s advised to start the game directly from the installation directory.
To do that, just go to the installation directory, by default it should be C:Riot GamesLeague of Legends and double-click LeagueClient.exe.
If this solves the problem, you need to always use this method to start the game.
Alternatively, you can create a shortcut of LeagueClient.exe on your Desktop and use it to start the game.
5. Disable all running League of Legends processes
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager.
- Now locate both LoLLauncher.exe and LoLClient.exe processes and end them. To do that, simply right-click the process you want to end and choose End Task from the menu.
After disabling the required processes, try to start the game again and check if the problem reappears.
If League of Legends won’t launch on your PC, the issue might be background processes.
According to users, sometimes certain League of Legends processes might be running in the background, and that can cause this issue to appear.
However, you can fix the problem simply by disabling all League-related processes from Task Manager.
6. Close problematic applications
According to users, sometimes other applications can interfere with League of Legends and cause issues such as this one to occur.
One application that can interfere with your game is Steam, so if you’re using Steam, be sure to close it before starting League.
Once you close Steam, try to start the game again and check if the issue is still there.
Another application that can cause this problem is Razer Synapse, so if you have it installed, be sure to close it before starting the game.
7. Force the game to update itself
This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Go to the LoL’s installation directory and then navigate to RADS > Projects.
- Delete both air clients and the lol launcher folder.
- Now go to the downloads directory and delete its content.
- Go to the solutions directory and delete the client folder.
- After doing that, restart your PC.
After your PC restarts, locate the game’s shortcut and run it as administrator. This will force the game to update and your issue should be resolved.
If you can’t start the game, the issue might be a corrupted installation. This can be a big problem, and in order to fix it, it’s advised to delete certain files from the game’s installation directory.
8. Repair the installation
- Start League of Legends as an administrator. You can do that simply by right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Run as administrator from the menu.
- Once the launcher opens, in the upper right corner click the Cogwheel icon and choose Repair.
The repair process will now start. Keep in mind that the repair can take a while, so you’ll have to be patient.
If League of Legends won’t start on your PC, the issue might be your installation. Sometimes your installation can get corrupted and that can cause issues such as this one to appear.
Not being able to start League of Legends can be a big problem, but we hope that you managed to solve this issue using our solutions.
League of Legends is a great game, but many users reported that they can’t start it at all on their PC. Speaking of League of Legends issues, here are some problems that users reported:
- League of Legends won’t launch after clicking launch – This is a relatively common problem that happens with League of Legends. This issue is usually caused by applications such as Steam or Razer Synapse, so be sure to close those applications before starting the game.
- League of Legends won’t open, work, start Windows 10 – According to users, this issue occurs on all versions of Windows. However, almost all of our solutions are compatible with older versions of Windows, so you can use them even if you don’t have Windows 10.
- League of Legends doesn’t start – Several users reported that League of Legends won’t start at all. This might be caused by your shortcut, and to fix the problem, it’s advised to start the game right from the installation directory.
- League of Legends won’t start rads error, exe won’t start, black screen, because of the firewall – There are various issues that can occur and prevent League of Legends from starting, however, you should be able to fix most of them by using one of our solutions.
If you are experiencing any other issues, let us know in the comments section below.
FAQ: League of Legends common issues
- Why is my League of Legends not opening?
Most likely due to the game files being corrupted. To fix this, run the launcher as administrator, go to settings and initiate a full game repair.
- Can Windows 10 run League of Legends?
League of Legends will work on Windows 10 and even older versions of the Windows operating system.
- How do I start League of Legends?
Download the game client from the official website, install the game by following the install wizard and once finished, click the Play button to start the game.
- How do I fix League of Legends has stopped working?
If you are still experiencing this issue, right click on the shortcut > Properties > Compatibility > tick the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows 7. Then tick the box next to Run this program as administrator. Click Apply then OK.
- Is League of Legends free?
Yes, League of Legends is a free to play title. There are in-game purchases that can be made.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.