- If League of Legends is not opening, there are many things that can cause this.
- Some users stated that updating their drivers, especially their GPU, did the trick.
- Others tried launching the game from alternative locations, and that worked as well.
- If all else fails, performing a full game repair or reinstall work when League of Legends won't open.
Launching League of Legends on Windows 10 can sometimes be more difficult than fighting hordes of vicious enemies.
Many players report they often can’t launch the game due to various error messages or simply because nothing happens when they hit the play button.
If you’re experiencing League of Legends start issues, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’re going to list a few workarounds that will help fix these issues and launch the game.
First, let’s see how one gamer describes this issue:
I updated to the new client yesterday and everything was great. I logged out and today the launcher starts but after I hit “Launch” the launcher disappears but no client. Task Manager shows 2 instances of “League Client (32 bit)” running under ‘Background processes’ but I can’t bring it up anywhere. Trying to launch the launcher again gives me the ‘game already running’ pup-up so that’s no help.
How to fix League of Legends launch issues
1. Reinstall your graphics card drivers
According to users, sometimes League of Legends won’t start due to issues with your graphics card.
Your graphics card is crucial for gaming sessions, and if there’s a problem with your graphics card drivers, you might not be able to start League of Legends at all.
To fix this problem, it’s advised to remove your graphics card drivers and use the default drivers instead.
There are several ways to do that, but if you want to completely uninstall your drivers, we suggest you use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove them.
Once your drivers are removed, restart your PC and Windows 10 should install the default drivers instead. Once you install the default drivers, check if the problem still persists.
In addition to using the default driver, some users are recommending to install an older version of the graphics driver, so you can try that as well.
Try the next solution if this didn’t fix the chop.
Update drivers automatically
Downloading drivers manually is a process that carries the risk of getting the wrong driver installed, which may lead to serious malfunctions.
Not only, is there the risk of downloading the wrong drivers, but you can also end up installing a version that isn’t even the latest eitehr.
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the newly installed app to detect all your PC’s faulty drivers.
- You will be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you can choose the ones that you want to fix.
- Wait for the driver download and fixing process to complete.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
DriverFixDo not let a bad driver interfere with your games and installed software. Use DriverFix today and run them without a single issue.
2. Reinstall the game
If none of these solutions can fix the problem, you might have to remove the game and install it again. There are several ways to do that, but the best one is to use uninstaller software.
In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is a special application that can completely remove any program from your PC.
In addition to removing the selected program, uninstaller software will remove all files and registry entries associated with that program.
As a result, it will be as if the application was never installed on your PC.
There are many great uninstaller applications, so we encourage you to try them out. Once you remove the game using these tools, reinstall it and your problem should be resolved.
3. Start the game directly from the installation directory
If League of Legends won’t start on your PC, the problem might be your shortcut.
According to users, sometimes your shortcut might not be working properly, and to fix that issue, it’s advised to start the game directly from the installation directory.
To do that, just go to the installation directory, by default it should be
C:\Riot Games\League of Legends and double-click LeagueClient.exe.
If this solves the problem, you need to always use this method to start the game.
Alternatively, you can create a shortcut of LeagueClient.exe on your Desktop and use it to start the game.
4. Disable all running League of Legends processes
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to start Task Manager.
- Now locate both LoLLauncher.exe and LoLClient.exe processes and end them. To do that, simply right-click the process you want to end and choose End Task from the menu.
After disabling the required processes, try to start the game again and check if the problem reappears.
If League of Legends won’t launch on your PC, the issue might be background processes.
According to users, sometimes certain League of Legends processes might be running in the background, and that can cause this issue to appear.
However, you can fix the problem simply by disabling all League-related processes from Task Manager.
5. Close problematic applications
According to users, sometimes other applications can interfere with League of Legends and cause issues such as this one to occur.
One application that can interfere with your game is Steam, so if you’re using Steam, be sure to close it before starting League.
Once you close Steam, try to start the game again and check if the issue is still there.
Another application that can cause this problem is Razer Synapse, so if you have it installed, be sure to close it before starting the game.
6. Repair the installation
- Start League of Legends as an administrator. You can do that simply by right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Run as administrator from the menu.
- Once the launcher opens, in the upper right corner click the Cogwheel icon and choose Repair.
The repair process will now start. Keep in mind that the repair can take a while, so you’ll have to be patient.
If League of Legends won’t start on your PC, the issue might be your installation. Sometimes your installation can get corrupted and that can cause issues such as this one to appear.
Not being able to start League of Legends can be a big problem, but we hope that you managed to solve this issue using our solutions.
League of Legends is a great game, but many users reported that they can’t start it at all on their PC. Speaking of League of Legends issues, here are some problems that users reported:
- League of Legends won’t launch after clicking launch – This is a relatively common problem that happens with League of Legends. This issue is usually caused by applications such as Steam or Razer Synapse, so be sure to close those applications before starting the game.
- League of Legends won’t open, work, start Windows 10 – According to users, this issue occurs on all versions of Windows. However, almost all of our solutions are compatible with older versions of Windows, so you can use them even if you don’t have Windows 10.
- League of Legends doesn’t start – Several users reported that League of Legends won’t start at all. This might be caused by your shortcut, and to fix the problem, it’s advised to start the game right from the installation directory.
- League of Legends won’t start rads error, exe won’t start, black screen, because of the firewall – There are various issues that can occur and prevent League of Legends from starting, however, you should be able to fix most of them by using one of our solutions.
If you are experiencing any other issues, let us know in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most likely due to the game files being corrupted. To fix this, follow our guide and get it going in minutes.
Download the game client from the official website, install the game by following the install wizard and once finished, click the Play button to start the game.
League of Legends can sometimes crash on Windows 10, but there are several things you can do to get the game going again.
Yes, League of Legends is a free to play title. There are in-game purchases that can be made.