How to fix printer queue in Windows 10, 8, 7
Having problems with the printer queue in Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 can be very annoying, especially if the printer queue is stuck and the documents you printed over time keep printing over and over again. For one thing, you cannot even stop the printer, except if you shut it down from the power button. However, in some cases, if you reboot your Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 device and start the printer, it will automatically start printing.
Also in Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 when you click to print something and you accidentaly clicked a couple of times on the print button, it might print the document several times. Well, you will be glad to find out that there is a very easy fix to the printer queue issues. All you need to do is follow the methods posted below.
How to fix stuck printer queue on PC
- Cancel your documents
- Restart the Spooler service
- Check your printer drivers
- Use a different user account
1. Cancel your documents
- Move the mouse to the lower left side of the screen.
- After you have a menu in front of you left click on the “Run” feature.
- In the “Run” window you will need to type “Control Printers”.
- Left click on the “OK” button in the “Run” window.
- Under the topic “Printers” you will need to right click on your default printer and left click on the “See what’s printing” feature in the menu presented there.
- Left click on the “Printer” icon in the upper right side of the window.
Note: instead of the “Printer” icon you might have the “File” icon in which case you will need to left click on that.
- Now, in the menu presented, left click on the “Cancel all documents” feature.
- This should cancel all your documents you have stuck in the printer queue. Also if this doesn’t work you will have to reboot the Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 device and try again.
2. Restart the Spooler service
- Move the mouse over to the lower left side of the screen and left click there.
- Choose the feature “Command Prompt (Admin)” by left clicking on it.
- Type in the command prompt “Net Stop Spooler” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Type in the command prompt window the following command “del %systemroot%System32spoolprinters* /Q” without the quotes.
- Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard.
- Type in the command prompt window the following command “Net Start Spooler” without the quotes.
- Press “Enter” on the keyboard.
- Now everything should get back to normal. If it doesn’t then you will need to reboot once more the Windows 8 or Windows 10 device and try this tutorial again to see if it works.
3. Check your printer drivers
Verify if your printer manufacturer has the drivers necessary to run in your Windows 7, 8 or Windows 10 device.
Note: You can look on the manufacturer’s website for the latest update on your printer’s driver and install it from there.
You also can use this third-party tool (100% safe and tested by us) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
4. Use a different user account
Some users confirmed that using a different user account helped them fix their printer queue issue. So, if you already have a second user account on your computer, log in and check if your printer works as it should on that account. If not, create a new user account and test your printer again.
Now, that you have your printer queue working once again, you can start using your device without having to worry about the printer going nuts. If you have any questions regarding the printer queue issues, let us know in the comments below and we will help you as soon as possible.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Printer queue stuck when deleting in Windows 10
- What to do if Windows 10/8.1 can’t find printer on network
- FIX: Printer always prints 2 copies on Windows 10
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.
If you tried launching Twitch with Minecraft this past month, you might have encountered this error Twitch could not verify Minecraft version. Even though the […]
Many users have reported Internet connection sharing error 1053 when trying to start the Internet Connection Sharing services (ICS). After our research regarding this error […]
According to some Reddit users, Windows 10 v1903 caused problems for .ogg extension files. In other words, they can’t play .ogg files on their computers […]