- Roblox is a free online game and development platform that is constantly enjoyed by players all over the world.
- However, sometimes high ping can get in the way of enjoying a fun evening of Roblox, either alone or with your friends.
- Join our Roblox section to find out everything there is to know about this cool game.
- To fix more gameplay issues, don't miss our Gaming Troubleshooting Hub.
Roblox is a popular game for almost all ages. It’s actually more of a game platform that encourages players to create and play community-generated content.
Basically, in Roblox, you can create anything you want, as you’re only bound by your imagination. However, if you’re not the creative type and just want to chill with your friends, you can do that too.
Roblox allows you to access any community-generated content and play it as you would any other game. All in all it’s an enjoyable experience, regardless if you’re there to program games or enjoy a nice evening with your peers.
On the other hand, sometimes technical issues might get in the way and disrupt your gaming experience, such as web browser unsupported by Roblox.
High ping is just another example that can mess up your session, especially in action-driven Roblox games.
Why is my Roblox ping so high?
High ping can have an assorted variety of reasons for occurring. The good news is that high ping is not only determined by having a poor connection, although this seems to be the consensus.
Encountering high ping values in Roblox can be caused by:
- Network congestion
- Subpar Ethernet cable quality or outdated category (e.g. using Cat 7 instead of Cat 8)
- Connecting to a slow Wi-Fi instead of a wired network
- Interference on the Wi-Fi broadcast channel
- Limited Internet connection (either restricted by the ISP or poor hardware quality)
- Server-side issues
- High-quality graphics settings that the connection can’t accommodate
- Out-of-date software (drivers included)
- Playing in different regions other than your own
How to lower ping in Roblox
1. Update everything Roblox-related
Running outdated software on your PC can mean various technical issues, including but not limited to high ping. For that reason, before you go any further, make sure the following are up-to-date:
- Your operating system (it’s the backbone of your system, of course it’s high-priority)
- Any system drivers (you can also use specialized driver update software)
- Game files, along with any recommended patches, if applicable
- The gaming platform you run Roblox on (if you run it on Steam, for instance)
2. Check your security software
If you have several security programs installed on your PC, we recommend you to check if Roblox has full permission on all of them. Most of the time, the Windows Firewall blocks various programs or limits their online interaction.
In other words, make sure Roblox isn’t blacklisted on any of the aforementioned software solutions.
3. Try a dedicated game booster software
As its name not-so-subtly suggests, the tool recommended below is a utility fit to reduce ping and keep it that way. However, you’ll need to perform a bunch of configuration steps before using the app to its fullest.
Furthermore, it’s worth mentioning that there’s a list of supported games. As you’d expect, you’ll have to configure Kill Ping for each game individually before launching it.
On the bright side, configuring this software is no rocket science, either. You just need to select the game you want to use it with and choose between automatic and manual server selection.
Note that currently, Roblox isn’t on the official list of supported games. However, the program enables you to load other games, as well, by using a custom path to the executable.
Kill Ping is an effective app that can help you lower ping in Roblox easily.
4. Lower your graphics settings
Although Roblox isn’t actually a resource-monger, as its system requirements are quite modest, a weak connection might not be able to accommmodate high-quality settings, even though your PC can.
As a result, you may start to experience lag spikes, especially if you’re not the only one using the Internet.
One quick way to solve high ping in this situation is to lower the game’s graphics settings. If you’re still experiencing high ping after doing so, you can at least rule out your connection’s inability to process traffic while using high graphics settings.
5. Perform manual troubleshooting
- Run a speed test on your PC to assess your connection’s performance
- Switch to a wired connection instead of Wi-Fi
- Change the channel your wireless router broadcasts on
- Update any outdated drivers on your system, especially network and graphics ones
- Restart Roblox
- Make sure your router’s firmware version is up-to-date
- Restart your PC, router, and/or modem as needed
- Avoid peak hours if your network is congested
6. Flush your DNS
- Launch an elevated CMD prompt on your Windows 10 PC
- Type the following commands in the CMD, in this precise order:
netsh winsock reset
Sometimes, cached data build-ups can interfere with your connection’s performance and flushing your DNS is an easy way to get rid of them. Make sure you also restart your PC after successfully executing the last command.
Additionally, you can switch from your ISP-assigned DNS to free public DNS servers. We’ve tested Google Public DNS and Cloudflare’s DNS servers and we were impressed, performance-wise.
7. Terminate bandwidth-heavy apps and services
If you have other apps that may use a lot of bandwidth running on your PC, it’s a wise thing to force-close them before running Roblox if you want lower ping.
For instance, torrenting clients can easily sponge up large chunks of your bandwidth without you even noticing it.
The same goes for other software components such as services or background processes (daemons). If you don’t necessarily need it, make sure it’s closed and stays that way while you’re playing Roblox to avoid high ping.
It’s worth mentioning that you can use the Windows Task Manager to perform this task, but you can also turn to third-party software if you find it easier to operate.
8. Use a VPN service
- Purchase a premium VPN plan (we recommend PIA)
- Download the VPN installer on your PC
- Deploy the VPN client to your system
- Log into your account
- Select an appropriate server from the list*
- Launch Roblox and see if there’s any improvement
*Choose a VPN server that matches the location of your game server (or the closest location to it). For instance, if the game server is located in the USA, connect to a US VPN server.
Usually, VPNs can reduce high ping in various situations, but unfortunately, they’re of no help if the issue is server-side or caused by your improper configuration.
Therefore, make sure your Roblox high ping issue isn’t caused by any hardware/software misconfigurations on your side before investing in a VPN service such as Private Internet Access, owned by Kape Technologies.
All things considered, there’s a lot you can do about high ping in Roblox, ranging from flushing your DNS to using a VPN for Roblox or even updating your system drivers.
Try applying our suggested fixes one by one. We’re quite confident that you’ll eventually reach one that does the trick for you.