- General errors on accessing certain websites are common on Windows 10.
- In this article, we explore the basic steps that should restore our access to any page in no time.
- Bookmark our Browsers page for additional guides that will come in handy when you'll get similar errors.
- Take a look at the Sofware Hub for even more interesting articles.
Accessing a particular website can sometimes become impossible, while others can be quite easy to view. This inability may be attributed to a variety of technical issues.
If the site is down due to routine maintenance or other reasons, then you only need to wait patiently.
However, this issue may be associated with your device or computer, provided you can load the site on other devices.
To fix this error, you may require an anti-malware program or an antivirus to run a thorough scan. Additionally, checking your Internet connectivity settings to ensure that everything is right, could be the simple fix you require.
Read on to find out more tips, that vary from basic troubleshooting to more technical remedies.
How do I fix The website is not accessible error?
1. Try accessing the website in another browser
A quick workaround to identify the problem is to open the same website in another browser. This way you will know if the problem lies with the search engine or elsewhere.
Try using the Opera browser, because it loads faster and it offers a lot of built-in quick-access tools that you can add to the sidebar to have them handy.
Opera’s unique and helpful extra tools increase the browser’s efficiency. Compared to most other popular browsers, Opera is not only faster but also lighter and thus more reliable.
OperaWhen you don't want to waste time fixing your old browser, switch to Opera with a couple of clicks and resume surfing the Internet smoothly.
2. Disable your antivirus temporarily
It is likely that an antivirus web inspection plugin may be responsible for your inability to access a particular site. Therefore, disable the software and try loading the website again.
This solution should be used only temporarily. Or, better yet, use an antivirus with minimal impact on other programs, including on your browsing activity. Bitdefender would be our recommendation in this case.
Bitdefender is one of the top antivirus software at the moment, highly ranked for excellent performance, ease of use, and top-notch features.
In the most recent specialized tests, Bitdefender obtained the best results for detection rates of the latest malware.
Besides, compared to similar programs on the market, Bitdefender has less impact on your PC’s system when surfing online or when running frequently used apps.
BitdefenderTry Bitdefender to benefit from ultimate antimalware protection with the least possible impact on your devices.
Malware can also prevent some particular websites from loading. Use a freeware and, at the same time, a reliable tool such as Malwarebytes to clean your PC.
Malwarebytes is free to download using the button below. Use it for periodic quick or in-depth scans.
To benefit from real-time protection and other features, though, you will have to purchase a subscription.
- Download the tool, follow the installation wizard, and launch the program.
- Locate the Scan option and click on it.
- Wait for the process to finish, then take the recommended actions.
- Close the software, reboot your device, and try re-opening the website.
MalwarebytesRun a quick scan every now and then with this freeware tool to make sure your PC is clean of any malware.
4. Check Internet connectivity and browser settings
Fix browser connection settings:
- Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools menu (Alt + X)
- Go to Internet Options, then to Connections
- Pick LAN settings and uncheck Use a proxy server for LAN and check Automatically detect settings.
- Click the Edit menu and go to Preferences
- Select Advanced then Change Settings and uncheck any active proxy.
- Click the Chrome menu and go to Settings
- Click the drop-down menu on the left and select Show advanced settings and Change proxy settings
- Look for LAN settings and uncheck Use a proxy server for LAN and check Automatically detect setting.
Note: Disabling proxy settings directly in the browser is no longer supported on the latest Chrome versions. You can do that from your PC’s proxy settings page.
After you’ve checked your browser connection, try loading the website again.
- Type about:config into the URL bar and a search field will appear.
- If the value is set to false, double-click to change it to true.
- Internet Explorer:
- Click the Tools menu(Alt + X)
- Go to Internet Options, then to Security
- Select Custom level
- Scroll to Scripting section and enable Active scripting.
- Click the Edit menu and pick Preferences
- Click the Chrome menu, then Settings
- Click the drop-down menu on the left and select Show advanced settings
- Click Content settings in the Privacy and Security section.
On the latest Chrome versions, the path to follow is the following:
- Click on Site Settings.
- Scroll down to Javacript and enable it.
- Disconnect the modem/router from the power source and wait for some moments.
- Connect back to power source and wait for initialization.
- After successful initialization, retry loading the site again.
Note: Completely resetting your browser may also be helpful because your browser is restored to the developer’s settings.
5. Use a different device or network
- Connect one device to your network (Wi-Fi) and another device, to an entirely different network (mobile network). Try to load the website on both devices to ascertain if the issue is with the site or with your network.
- If the site is still not accessible regardless of the network, then the website is likely down.
To check the availability of the site, use a website status checker such as Down Detector to monitor it and display the status of the website.
6.Troubleshoot DNS settings
- Press WinKey + R and type cmd in the box.
- Click OK. Then, input ipconfig/flushdns and press Enter
- Wait for a confirmation message then exit.
- You will be required to input the administrator’s password.
- Having flushed your previous DNS information, you will need to find a new one.
- Search for free DNS lists from providers on the web.
Note that the primary and secondary DNS will be required and it is recommended that you make use of an OpenDNS of GoogleDNS for better accessibility.
To connect to a new Domain Name System, follow these procedures:
- Press WinKey + R and input ncpa.cpl to open Network Connections Panel.
- Right-click on the appropriate network adapter and choose Properties.
- Select TCP/IPv4.
- Click Properties.
- Check Use the following DNS server addresses.
- Enter the DNS of your choice and click OK.
The website(s) should now be accessible.
Let us know in the comments if any of these steps were useful. If you have other suggestions on this topic, feel free to share them with us.
FAQ: Learn more about accessing websites
- How do you access a website that is not available in your country?
The quickest and safest solution to access a website that is restricted in your country is to install a VPN software that will hide your IP address and location.
- How do I unblock a website on Windows?
A website might be blocked because of certain network settings; sometimes, even the antivirus might restrict access to a page. Check these settings and you should be able to regain access.
- Is a website blocking my IP?
To detect if a website is blocking your IP, ping your domain. If your IP is indeed blocked, then it won’t respond. If it responds, then most likely your Internet connection is to blame and you need to troubleshoot it.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and was updated and revamped in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2017 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.