How to fix Windows 10 update error 8024afff
If you’re a Windows 10 user, there’s a high probability that you’ve run into one or multiple update errors. There’s so many of those that are the legacy of the previous Windows iterations, just like the one with the error code ”8024afff’‘.
Apparently, this error prevents downloading certain security patches, but gravity-wise, it’s not so hard to overcome. Of course, you’ll still need to perform some troubleshooting steps. If you’re unable to resolve it on your own, the workarounds provided below should be of use.
How to fix update error 8024afff in Windows 10
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Use the batch script to restart Update services
- Install updates manually
1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
In comparison to previous Windows iterations, Windows 10 has more than a valid built-in troubleshooter which covers basically every issue that can occur. In that bunch of various standard troubleshooters, the one that’s probably most used is the Windows Update troubleshooter, mainly since the update errors are quite common.
- READ ALSO: Fix: Windows 10 update error 0x80070652
Once you run it, this tool should enable you to address the most simple halts in the Windows Update feature, by restarting the related processes and refreshing the update procedure.
In case you’re not sure how to run it, follow these steps:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Troubleshoot and open Troubleshoot from the list of results.
- Expand Windows Update troubleshooter and click on the ”Run the troubleshooter” button.
- Follow instructions until the problem is solved.
- Try updating again.
2: Use the batch script to restart Update services
When it comes to updating issues, everything points towards to dedicated system services and the folder in which the downloaded updates are stored. Now, there’s a way of utilizing Command Prompt and running a plethora of commands in order to reset the Update services and reestablish the Software Distribution folder. However, there’s also a custom batch file which will do that for you.
You can download this batch file or create it on your own by following the steps provided in this article. If you’re inclined towards the former, make sure to follow these steps:
- Download the batch file here.
- Save the file.
- Right-click on the batch script and choose to Run it as an Administrator.
- After the process is finished, try updating again.
3: Install updates manually
Finally, regarding minor cumulative security updates and patches, you can always navigate to the Microsoft’s dedicated site called Microsoft Update Catalog and download them there. Once you’ve obtained an individual update that caused the ”8024afff” error over the OTA update protocol, you can install it just like any other executable file.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Click to check for updates and write down the identification code of the troubled update.
- Navigate to Microsoft Catalog by using Edge. It seems that Microsoft valiantly blocked access to other browsers.
- In the Search bar, type the identification code and press Enter.
- Download and install the update and restart your PC.
Follow these instructions to identify the troubling update and install it manually:
That’s it. If you have an alternative solution on your mind or questions regarding the ones we provided, we encourage you to tell us in the comments section.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- “This might take several minutes” Windows update error [FIX]
- How to fix Windows Update error 0x8024001e on Windows 10
- Fix: Microsoft Store missing after an update in Windows 10
- Surface firmware updates fix CPU security bugs
Users reported on Reddit that Windows 10 v1903 disabled Windows Defender real-time protection. This is often the case when you installed another antivirus solution on […]
Windows 10 v1903 brought along the error message Getting everything ready for you for some people. This is the case for one user who the […]