- Apparently, this error prevents downloading certain security patches, but gravity-wise, it's not so hard to overcome. Of course, you'll still need to perform some troubleshooting steps.
- First, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. In comparison to previous Windows iterations, Windows 10 has more than a valid built-in troubleshooter which covers basically every issue that can occur.
- If you don't know how to deal with this kind of problem, our How to fix Windows Update errors hub is more than prepared to offer you accurate and fast solutions.
- Windows 10 has a lot fewer errors than it used to but it still has plenty of flaws. We can offer you the Windows 10 errors hub that is full of interesting and clever solutions.
If you’re a Windows 10 user, there’s a high probability that you’ve run into one or multiple update errors.
There are so many of those that are the legacy of the previous Windows iterations, just like the one with the error code 8024afff.
Apparently, this error prevents downloading certain security patches, but gravity-wise, it’s not so hard to overcome. Of course, you’ll still need to perform some troubleshooting steps.
If you’re unable to resolve it on your own, the workarounds provided below should be of use.
How do I fix update error 8024afff in Windows 10?
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Use the batch script to restart Update services
- Install updates manually
1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
In comparison to previous Windows iterations, Windows 10 has more than a valid built-in troubleshooter which covers basically every issue that can occur.
In that bunch of various standard troubleshooters, the one that’s probably most used is the Windows Update troubleshooter, mainly since the update errors are quite common.
Once you run it, this tool should enable you to address the most simple halts in the Windows Update feature, by restarting the related processes and refreshing the update procedure.
In case you’re not sure how to run it, follow these steps:
- In the Windows Search bar, type Troubleshoot and open Troubleshoot from the list of results.
- Expand Windows Update troubleshooter and click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
- Follow instructions until the problem is solved.
- Try updating again.
You can also try the program described below to address this and many other issues with your PC. This is an incredible troubleshoot and repair program that maintains your PC in top shape with only a few clicks.
The best part is that you won’t have to go seeking a needle in a haystack; all of this and more can be accomplished with an automated solution.
Restore is a great piece of malware repair and removal software for Windows systems. It does a thorough system analysis, then performs rigorous system optimization, eliminates malware and viruses, and fixes the Windows registry.
2: Use the batch script to restart Update services
When it comes to updating issues, everything points towards dedicated system services and the folder in which the downloaded updates are stored.
Now, there’s a way of utilizing Command Prompt and running a plethora of commands in order to reset the Update services and reestablish the Software Distribution folder.
However, there’s also a custom batch file that will do that for you.
You can download this batch file or create it on your own by following the steps provided in this article. If you’re inclined towards the former, make sure to follow these steps:
- Download the batch file here.
- Save the file.
- Right-click on the batch script and choose to Run it as an Administrator.
- After the process is finished, try updating again.
3: Install updates manually
Finally, regarding minor cumulative security updates and patches, you can always navigate to Microsoft’s dedicated site called Microsoft Update Catalog and download them there.
Once you’ve obtained an individual update that caused the 8024afff error over the OTA update protocol, you can install it just like any other executable file.
Follow these instructions to identify the troubling update and install it manually:
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Choose Update & Security.
- Click to check for updates and write down the identification code of the troubled update.
- Navigate to Microsoft Catalog by using Edge. It seems that Microsoft valiantly blocked access to other browsers.
- In the Search bar, type the identification code and press Enter.
- Download and install the update and restart your PC.
- How do I fix Windows Update problems?
That’s it. If you have an alternative solution on your mind or questions regarding the ones we provided, we encourage you to tell us in the comments section.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Windows Update error 8024afff occurs when you’re trying to update Windows 10 and it prevents downloading certain security patches. Gravity-wise, it’s not so hard to overcome.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, use the batch script to restart the Update services, and install the updates manually. If it sounds too complicated use our step-by-step guide to fix this error.