How to set up your own custom Google Chrome themes
Adding a new theme to Google Chrome is one of the best ways to customize the browser. A new theme adds an alternative color scheme and a New Tab page background image to Chrome. There are loads of themes you can add to Google’s browser from this webpage. However, why not set up your own custom Google Chrome theme instead?
How to customize your Google Chrome theme
1. Add a Custom Theme to Chrome With Theme Creator
There are two ways you can design a custom theme for Google Chrome. The usual way to do it is to code a theme with a manifest.json file. However, you can also design a customized theme for the browser with a few web apps. Theme Creator is one web app with which you can add custom colors and images to Chrome. This is how you can set up a customized theme for Chrome with Theme Creator.
- First, click this hyperlink to open the Theme Creator web app in Google Chrome.
- Enter a title for the theme in the text box on the Basic tab.
- Select the Images tab shown in the snapshot directly below.
- To add a background image to the New Tab page, press the Choose Image button for NTP Background. Then select a wallpaper for the New Tab page, and press the Open button.
- When you add wallpaper to the New Tab page, select the fill to screen option shown in the snapshot below to ensure the background image doesn’t leave any blank space.
- You can also adjust the scale of the image by entering alternative values in the Scale text box.
- To add a picture to the background frame, press the Choose Image button for Frame.
- You can also add images to the toolbar and browser tabs by pressing the Tab Background and Toolbar Choose Image buttons.
- Select the Colors tab to open the options shown directly below. There you can adjust the color scheme for the theme’s text and buttons.
- Click the Tab Text color palette square to open the palette in the snapshot directly below.
- Choose a color for the text by dragging the small circle on the palette with the mouse. You can adjust the colors for the NTP text, background tab text, bookmark text and control buttons much the same.
- To adjust frame and tab background colors, select the Images tab. Then you can open color palettes for the browser’s frame and toolbar much the same.
- When you’ve set up a completed theme, select the Pack tab shown in the shot directly below.
- Press the Pack and Install button to add the new theme to Chrome.
- Click the Add theme button to further confirm and add the custom theme to Google Chrome.
- If you ever need to revert back to your browser’s default theme, click the Customize Google Chrome button at the top right of the browser.
- Select Settings to open the tab shown directly below.
- Then click Reset To Default to remove the theme.
— ALSO READ: Fix: VPN not working with Google Chrome
2. Chrome Theme Maker
Chrome Theme Maker is a similar web app to Theme Creator with which you can add custom themes to Google’s browser. With that app, you can add images to Chrome’s New Tab page background, tab, toolbar and frame. Note that images need to be in PNG format before you can add them to theme in this web app.
You can also select to add various color elements to Chrome with the palettes included on the Colors tab. Open this page to check out the Chrome Theme Maker web app.
Theme Creator and Chrome Theme Maker give you a quick and straightforward way to set up your own custom themes. With those web apps, you can now revitalize Chrome with a unique and colorful theme.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- No sound on Google Chrome? Fix it with a few simple tips and tricks
- Fix: Google Chrome Doesn’t Work in Windows 10
- Speed up Google Chrome with these extensions
If you’re new to Waze and want to know how to change the guiding voice in your app, then you came to the right place. […]
One of the biggest differences between Waze and other GPS navigation software is the alerts system. Waze benefits from a user input system that allows […]