- Google Chrome has a dark mode that some users might accidentally activate.
- This guide explores the best ways to disable Google Chrome's dark mode on Windows 10 and macOS.
- Browse through other Google Chrome guide articles on our extensive Chrome Hub.
- Check out our thorough Browser section to get useful information on this topic.
Google Chrome now has a dark mode. However, that dark mode is configured via the settings in Windows 10 and macOS.
Thus, some users might wonder how they can turn off Google Chrome’s dark mode when they can’t find an option for it within the browser.
Follow the guidelines below to turn off Chrome’s dark mode in Windows 10 and macOS.
Using dark mode in your browser is especially useful at night, reducing eye-strain considerably. To avoid encountering issues with this feature, we recommend that you try Opera.
Opera offers you quick access to both activate and deactivate this option, while allowing you to choose from other interesting themes as well.
Besides this useful feature, Opera also offers you incredibly fast browsing speeds, while protecting your identity online with a built-in and fully-free VPN service.
OperaGet access quickly to the dark mode and protect your privacy online with this great browser.
How can I turn off Chrome’s dark mode?
1. Select the Light app mode in Windows 10
- Click the Start menu button.
- Select Settings to open that app’s window.
- Next, select Personalization and Colors to open the options shown directly below.
- Select Custom on the Choose your color drop-down menu.
- Selecting Dark for Choose your default app mode enables Chrome’s dark mode. So, select the Light Choose your default app mode setting.
Note: The Light default app option disables dark mode for all software.
2. Check the Target path box for Google Chrome
- If selecting the Light option doesn’t turn off Chrome’s dark mode, right-click your Google Chrome desktop shortcut and select Properties.
- Delete –force-dark-mode from the end of the Target box.
- Next, click the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
3. Select the Light mode in macOS
- In macOS, click System Preferences on your Dock.
- Select the General option to open the window shown directly below.
- Then click the Light option.
4. Turn off the Dark Mode for Web Contents flag
- To turn off Chrome’s Dark Mode for Web Contents flag, input chrome://flags/ in Google Chrome’s URL bar.
- Enter dark in the search box on the chrome://flags page.
- Select Disabled on the drop-down menu for the Force Dark Mode for Web Contents flag.
- Click the Relaunch button to restart Google Chrome. Thereafter, website pages will no longer have dark backgrounds.
So, let there be light in Google Chrome! That’s how you can disable dark mode for Google Chrome to restore the default light theme.
You can also follow the above guidelines to enable dark mode by selecting the opposite options.