- Many users reported that the Show in folder option in Chrome isn’t working for them.
- Fixing this problem is simple and we are exploring a few solutions in this article.
- Bookmark our Software Hub for our amazing collection of useful guides and articles.
- This guide is one of many guides from our Browser hub, and if you need more helpful articles and tips, we suggest you check it out.
Many users use Show in folder option in Chrome to quickly access the downloaded files, but some users reported that this feature doesn’t work.
Google Chrome has a Show in folder option that you can click on to open downloads in File Explorer. However, some Chrome users have reported that the option doesn’t work for them.
Here are some similar issues that users reported:
- Google Chrome show in folder doesn’t work – Many users reported that Show in folder option doesn’t work in Chrome. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Google Chrome show in folder missing – According to users, sometimes Show in folder option can be missing in Chrome. If that’s the case, you might have to reinstall Chrome to fix the issue.
In this article we gathered a few potential fixes, so keep reading.
How can I fix the Show in folder option in Chrome?
1. Switch to a different browser
Before trying any solution to solve this problem, perhaps a better idea would be to consider switching to a different browser. There are many great browsers, that allow you to easily make the switch without losing any of the browsing history or bookmarks.
In that matter, we recommend you give Opera a try. It’s a reliable browser with amazing features that are designed to ease the way you navigate the internet.
Opera’s security and privacy features are highly ranked when it comes to how efficient the browser is to protect your data online.
The built-in ad-blocker stops all annoying adds from pop-ing out which in return also improves the speed to which your pages are loading.
The free VPN secures your data in case you ever connect to the internet using a public Wi-fi. All your data will be protected and your IP address will be hidden in order to give you even more privacy.
OperaNo data collection or pop-up alerts with the free, built-in VPN. Keeping your data private and secure is a top priority for this browser!
2. Check your antivirus
There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want one that offers great protection without interfering with your system, you might want to try Bitdefender.
Sometimes your antivirus can interfere with your browser and lead to certain issues. If the Show in folder option won’t work in Chrome, it’s possible that your antivirus is the issue. To fix the problem, you need to check your antivirus and try disabling certain features.
If that doesn’t work, your next step would be to completely disable your antivirus. If disabling the antivirus doesn’t work, you can also remove your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
Once you remove your antivirus, check if the problem is resolved. If the issue isn’t there anymore, you should consider switching to a different antivirus software.
BitdefenderUse the next-gen antimalware program that gets constant updates for security scans. No errors will ever occur!
3. Clear Chrome’s cookies
- Click the Menu button at the top right corner.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Settings page.
- Click Advanced.
- Press the Content Settings button.
- Click Cookies and select See all cookies and site data button.
- Select the Remove all option to erase all the cookies.
- Next, press Finished.
4. Reset the Browser
- Open the Settings tab and expand the Advanced section.
- Scroll all the way down and click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click Reset settings to confirm.
5. Clear the Local Storage Folder
- Once you enter the Local Storage folder, select all files and delete them.
6. Make sure that Chrome is up to date
- Click the Menu button in the top right corner.
- Go to Help and select About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now open and you’ll see the version of Chrome you’re using.
- The browser will now check for updates and install them automatically.
7. Reinstall Chrome
According to users, sometimes you might encounter this problem if you have issues with your installation. If this happens, your course of action would be to reinstall Google Chrome completely.
This is quite simple to do, and there are various ways to do it. Keep in mind that in some cases it’s not enough just to uninstall Chrome.
Chrome and many other applications tend to leave leftover files and registry entries, and that can cause the issue to reappear.
To completely remove Chrome or any other application, it’s advised to use a uninstaller software. In case you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is a special application that can remove any software from your PC along with all of its files and registry entries.
If you’re looking for a good uninstaller software, you should definitely consider using Revo Uninstaller. Once you remove Google Chrome with this tool, download and install it again.
8. Try the Beta or Canary version of Chrome
The Beta version offers the latest fixes and updates, but it might have some other issues. If you have problems with the Show in folder option, then we advise you to uninstall Chrome and try using the Beta version.
As already mentioned, this version will have the latest updates, some of which might not be available in the stable version, so be sure to try it out.
If you want to have bleeding edge updates, you can also try the Canary version. This version might not be as stable as the Beta version, but it will offer the latest updates and bug fixes.
9. Manually access the download folder
If you’re having problems with the Show in folder option in Chrome, you might be able to fix the problem simply by manually accessing the download folder.
By default, Chrome saves all your downloaded files in \Users\<username>\Downloads directory, so you can easily access them.
If you haven’t changed your download settings, all your downloaded files should be in this location and you’ll be able to access them easily with just a couple of clicks.
However, if you choose a download location for each file you’re trying to download, then this solution won’t work for you at all.
This is just a workaround, but it might be useful for some users, so be sure to try it out.
Those are a few potential fixes for Chrome’s Show in folder option. Do you have any other fixes for this? If so, you can state what they are in the comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in May 2017 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.