- If the Google Chrome browser is not saving your passwords, you will have to complete them every time which can be very annoying.
- Consider using a different, more reliable browser that will not have this problem.
- You can also try using a third-party password manager as they can be even more reliable.
- Going through Chrome's settings can also make this problem go away quickly.
This can be a big problem. In today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix this annoying issue.
Keeping your passwords saved is the fastest way to log in to a website, but many Chrome users reported issues with passwords.
Regarding the Chrome not asking to save passwords, here are some problems that users also reported:
- Chrome asks to save password but doesn’t – Sometimes this problem can occur if your user account is corrupted. To fix the issue, simply create a new user account and the problem should be resolved.
- Chrome won’t remember password for site – According to users, this problem can occur if the password saving feature is disabled. To fix the problem, check your settings and make sure password saving is enabled.
- Google Chrome won’t offer to save password, ask to save password, save my passwords anymore, let me save passwords – These are various issues that can occur in Chrome, but you should be able to solve most of them by using our solutions.
What do I do if Google Chrome won’t save passwords?
- Try another browser
- Try a password manager
- Create a new user account
- Make sure that Google Chrome is allowed to save passwords
- Sign out of your Google Account and sign back in
- Reset Google Chrome to default
- Disable problematic extensions
- Update Chrome to the latest version
- Reinstall Chrome
1. Try another browser
We will always recommend better options when they are available. When we are talking web-browsers, we are big fans of the browser recommended below.
Based on Chromium, it offers users a wide range of options for customizations as well as awesome free features such as free, unlimited VPN, abuilt-in adblocker, Video pop-outs, and Workspaces.
This tool also has Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Telegram integrated into the sidebar.
When you make the switch from Chrome, there’s an import operation that moves all your bookmarks and settings. You can also import passwords that are already saved in Chrome.
Make sure you have the special flag opera://flags/#PasswordImport, enabled.
Switch completely from Chrome. Benefit from a working password saving functionality and great speed with Opera.
2. Try a password manager
Password managers are useful tools since they allow you to automatically generate strong and hard to guess passwords.
If Google Chrome won’t save passwords, perhaps it’s time that you consider a password manager.
Password managers come in a form of standalone applications, but many are available as extensions for Chrome, and they provide seamless integration with Chrome
It also a best practice not to save passwords straight in your browser.
A much safer alternative is a password manager such as the one recommended below because the content is kept more secure, usually encrypted with stronger algorithms.
Focused on privacy with patents to back their claims, the folks behind this product have done a very good job.
The clean design is very friendly, and the features are great. You can save unlimited passwords, save addresses, credit cards, and other data, autocomplete login forms and order forms and many more.
3. Create a new user account
- Open the Settings app and head over to the Accounts section. To open the Settings app quickly, you can just use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Select Family & other people from the menu on the left. In the right pane click Add someone else to this PC button.
- Pick I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now choose to Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Set the username and password for the new account and click Next.
Now you’ll have a new user account ready. Keep in mind that your new account doesn’t have administrative privileges, but we can easily fix that by doing the following:
- Go to Settings app > Accounts > Family & other people.
- Now locate your newly created account, select it, and click the Change account type button.
- Set Account type to Administrator and click OK.
After doing that, you’ll have a new administrative account ready. Now simply switch to the new account and check if the problem is still there.
If the issue doesn’t appear, you should move your personal files to the new account and start using it instead of your old account.
4. Make sure that Google Chrome is allowed to save passwords
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings window opens, click Passwords in the People section.
- Make sure that Offer to save passwords feature is enabled.
After enabling this feature, Google Chrome should ask you automatically to save passwords and the problem should be resolved.
5. Sign out of your Google Account and sign back in
- Click the Menu icon and choose Settings.
- Now click the Sign out button next to your username.
- Wait for a couple of moments and then try to log in back again.
This is a simple solution, and it might not always work, but it’s still worth checking out.
6. Reset Google Chrome to default
- Open the Settings tab in Chrome.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Advanced.
- Now click the Reset settings in Reset and clean up section.
- Click the Reset button to confirm.
After resetting Chrome to the default, check if the problem is still there.
7. Disable problematic extensions
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and select More tools > Extensions.
- List of installed extensions will now appear. Click the little switch next to the extension’s name to disable that extension. Do this for all extensions on the list.
- After you disable all extensions, restart Chrome and check if the issue is still there.
If the issue doesn’t appear, you might want to enable extensions one by one until you find the cause of the problem.
Once you find the problematic extension, remove it and the problem should be completely resolved.
8. Update Chrome to the latest version
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner. Navigate to Help > About Google Chrome.
- A new tab will now appear. You’ll see the current version of Chrome you’re using and the browser will check for updates.
If any updates are available, they’ll be installed automatically.
Once Chrome is up to date, check if the problem is still there.
9. Reinstall Chrome
If Google Chrome won’t save passwords, the issue might be your installation. Sometimes your installation can get corrupted, and that can lead to this and many other problems.
To fix this issue, it’s advised that you reinstall Chrome completely. This is relatively simple to do, and you can do it using several different methods.
You can uninstall Chrome like any other application, but that will leave certain leftover files that might still interfere with Chrome after you install it again.
To completely remove Chrome, it’s important that you use uninstaller software such as the one recommended below. By using uninstaller software you’ll completely remove Chrome from your PC, along with all of its files.
The important difference when using this tool is that after the default uninstallation, it will also look for other leftover files and delete them as well.
This means that if you decide to reinstall Chrome, you will benefit from a completely fresh install. This reduces the chance of having the same issues reappearing.
Now you just have to install Chrome again and the issue should be resolved. If you want, you can try the Beta or the experimental Canary version since they have the latest updates and fixes available.
Not being able to save passwords in Google Chrome can be an annoying issue, but we hope that you managed to solve this problem after using one of our solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Enter chrome://settings/passwords in the address bar and go to Saved Passwords. If you need to change your password in Google Chrome, here’s how to do it.
Yes, your Google account password is the same for all Google’s services including Gmail. If you’re unable to add a Google account, take a look at these easy steps.
Your Google account allows you to access all Google services. Gmail is just an email client. If you’re not receiving emails in your Gmail account, have a go at these quick fixes.