- Google Chrome like the other browsers in the market, has functionality included to save the username and password for a certain website.
- Some users reported that Google Chrome won’t save passwords at all. To fix this problem, make sure that the password saving feature is enabled or create a new user account.
- If you are having other Chrome problems, check the Chrome Errors section on the site.
- We covered Chrome extensively in our Chrome hub, and if you’re interested in more useful guides, be sure to check it out.
Keeping your passwords saved if great if you want to log in quickly, but many users reported that Google Chrome won’t save passwords at all. This can be a problem, and in today’s article we’ll show you how to fix this annoying issue.
Keeping your passwords saved is the fastest way to log in to a website, but many Chrome users reported issues with passwords. Regarding password saving issues, here are some problems that users reported:
- Chrome asks to save password but doesn’t – Sometimes this problem can occur if your user account is corrupted. To fix the issue, simply create a new user account and the problem should be resolved.
- Chrome won’t remember password for site – According to users, this problem can occur if the password saving feature is disabled. To fix the problem, check your settings and make sure password saving is enabled.
- Google Chrome won’t offer to save password, ask to save password, save my passwords anymore, let me save passwords – These are various issues that can occur in Chrome, but you should be able to solve most of them by using our solutions.
What do I do if Google Chrome won’t save passwords?
- Try another browser
- Try a password manager
- Create a new user account
- Make sure that Google Chrome is allowed to save passwords
- Sign out of your Google Account and sign back in
- Reset Google Chrome to default
- Disable problematic extensions
- Update Chrome to the latest version
- Reinstall Chrome
1. Try another browser
We will always recommend better options when they are available. When we are talking web-browsers, we are big fans of the Opera browser.
Based on Chromium, it offers users a wide range of options for customizations as well as awesome free features such as:
- free, unlimited VPN
- built-in adblocker
- Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, and Telegram integrated into the sidebar
- Video pop-outs and Workspaces
When you make the switch from Chrome, there’s an import operation that moves all your bookmarks and settings. You can also import passwords that are already saved in Chrome.
Make sure you have the special flag opera://flags/#PasswordImport, enabled.
Switch completely from Chrome. Benefit from a working password saving functionality and great speed with Opera.
2. Try a password manager
Password managers are useful tools since they allow you to automatically generate strong and hard to guess passwords. If Google Chrome won’t save passwords, perhaps it’s time that you consider a password manager.
Password managers come in a form of standalone applications, but many are available as extensions for Chrome, and they provide seamless integration with Chrome
It also a best practice not to save passwords straight in your browser. A much safer alternative is a password manager such as Dashlane because the content is kept more secure, usually encrypted with stronger algorithms.
Focused on privacy with patents to back their claims, the folks behind Dashlane have done a very good job.
The clean design is very friendly and the features are great:
- unlimited passwords
- save addresses, credit cards and other data
- autocomplete login forms and order forms
- security alerts
Don't store passwords in your browser. Make use of this very good, beautiful password manager for increased security.
3. Create a new user account
- Open the Settings app and head over to the Accounts section. To open the Settings app quickly, you can just use Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Select Family & other people from the menu on the left. In the right pane click Add someone else to this PC button.
- Pick I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Now choose to Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Set the username and password for the new account and click Next.
Now you’ll have a new user account ready. Keep in mind that your new account doesn’t have administrative privileges, but we can easily fix that by doing the following:
- Go to Settings app > Accounts > Family & other people.
- Now locate your newly created account, select it and click the Change account type button.
- Set Account type to Administrator and click OK.
After doing that, you’ll have a new administrative account ready. Now simply switch to the new account and check if the problem is still there.
If the issue doesn’t appear, you should move your personal files to the new account and start using it instead of your old account.
4. Make sure that Google Chrome is allowed to save passwords
- Click the Menu icon in the top-right corner and choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings window opens, click Passwords in the People section.
- Make sure that Offer to save passwords feature is enabled.
After enabling this feature, Google Chrome should ask you automatically to save passwords and the problem should be resolved.
5. Sign out of your Google Account and sign back in
- Click the Menu icon and choose Settings.
- Now click the Sign out button next to your username.
- Wait for a couple of moments and then try to log in back again.
This is a simple solution, and it might not always work, but it’s still worth checking out.
FAQ: Learn more about Google Chrome
- How do I find my Gmail password on Chrome?
To find your Gmail password on Chrome, enter chrome://settings/passwords in the address bar. Now go to the Saved Passwords section and look for your Gmail account there.
- Is Google account password the same as Gmail password?
Yes, your Google account password is the same for all Google’s services including Gmail.
- What is the difference between Google account and Gmail account?
Your Google account will allow you to access all Google services. On the other hand, your Gmail is just a service that you log in using your Google account.
- What is my Gmail password and username?
Your Gmail password and username are the same username and password that you use to access other Google’s services.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page.