Google Drive error 500 is an internal server error. That is usually a general server-side error which arises on websites. Google Drive users have posted in the support forum about internal server 500 errors.
When that issue arises, users can’t open Google Drive in their browsers. If that issue arises when you try to open Google Drive in a browser, follow the troubleshooting steps below.
Check out these potential fixes for Google Drive error 500
1. Refresh the page
First, try refreshing the Google Drive page by clicking the Reload button on your browser. The Reload button is usually on the left or right side of browser URL bars. Google Chrome users can press the F5 hotkey to refresh the page.
2. Enter an alternative Google Drive URL
Google Drive users have said they’ve fixed error 500 by entering the following line in the address bar:
- https://drive.google.com/drive/ in the address bar
So, copy https://drive.google.com/drive/ with the Ctrl + C hotkey. Then click in your browser’s URL bar, and press the Ctrl + V hotkey to paste that URL in.
3. Clear the browser’s cache
- Try clearing your browser’s cache, which will also clear the cached version of the Google Drive page.
- To do that in Chrome, press the Ctrl + Shift + Del hotkey in that browser.
- Then select the All time option in the drop-down menu.
- Select the Cached images and files option.
- In addition, select the Cookies and other site data checkbox.
- Press the Clear data button.
4. Open Google Drive in another browser
Try opening Google Drive in an alternative browser. Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Safari are browsers that are fully compatible with Google Drive. So, make sure you’re utilizing GD with one of those browsers.
5. Is Google Drive down?
If none of the above suggestions resolve error 500 for Google Drive, there might be a GD outage. To check if that’s the case, open the G Suite Status Dashboard page.
That page shows the current status of Google services. A red circle for Google Drive will highlight that there’s currently a wider service outage for GD.
If there is a service outage, there’s nothing you can really do to fix the matter. Wait for Google to resolve a server-side error. However, the above resolutions might occasionally fix Google Drive error 500 for some users.
Let us know which of the above-mentioned methods worked best for you by leaving us a message in the comments section below.