- If you are wondering how to install software without admin rights, here's a simple method.
- One cannot simply install software without admin rights due to security reasons.
- The only thing you need is to follow our steps, a notepad, and some commands.
- Keep in mind that only certain apps can be installed this way.
You might often face the situation where you need to install software on a Windows 10 PC but you don’t have admin rights on that PC.
And without being an administrator, you cannot usually install software of any type in the respective device. This is intendend, since it’s an extra security measure.
While the above happens to be a security feature designed to prevent just about anyone to do anything with your PC, there sure is a workaround here.
Therefore, this workaround will let you install a software even if you are not the admin on the Windows 10 device.
How do I install software without admin rights on Windows 10?
- Download the software, say Steam that you wish to install on a Windows 10 PC.
- It is recommended that you set the download location to the desktop for convenience.
- Else, if it gets downloaded in the Download folder, as is the usual case, drag it to your desktop.
- This is just for convenience and has no bearing on the actual process.
- Create a new folder on your desktop and drag the software installer into the folder.
- Open the folder and Right-click, then New, and Text Document.
- Open the text file you just created and write this code:
- Here SteamSetup is to be replaced with the name of the particular installer that you wish to install.
- Save the text file with the .bat extension in the same folder location.
- For that, click on File, then Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, replace the .txt file extension with .bat.
- Click on Save.
- Close the Steam.bat file.
- Now, you can double-click the setup and follow the guidelines.
Contrary to what you might be thinking, the process is really simple and easy. And its quick too. Here are the steps.
If you can’t create a new folder in Windows 10, then take a look at this step-by-step guide dedicated to creating new folders that will help you fix the issue.
Your next step will be to double click on the bat file to launch the installation process. Follow on-screen instructions and the software will get installed as usual. It’s that simple and easy.
If you’re interested in how to install unsigned drivers on Windows 10, read this article dedicated to installing unsigned drivers to get all the info that you need.
If you have any more questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we will certainly check them out.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you lost or forgot your admin password, check out the complete guide dedicated to recovering Windows 10 passwords.
To remove the administrator account from your PC, you have to check this article dedicated to resetting the Windows password and set up a new admin password.
To install software without admin rights, just follow the steps written in this article dedicated to installing apps with no admin rights on Windows 10 and learn how.