How to install software without admin rights in Windows 10 [SIMPLE GUIDE]
Often you might be faced with the situation where you need to install a software on a Windows 10 PC but you don’t have admin rights on that PC. And without being an administrator, you have zero rights to install a software on the PC.
While the above happens to be a security feature designed to prevent just about anyone to do anything with your PC, there sure is a workaround here so that you can install a software even if you are not the admin on the Windows 10 device.
Steps to install software without admin rights on Windows 10
Contrary to what you might be thinking, the process is really simple and easy. And its quick too. Here are the steps.
- Download the software, say Steam that you wish to install on a Windows 10 PC. It is recommended that you set the download location to desktop for convenience. Else, if it gets downloaded in the Download folder, as is the usual case, drag it to your desktop. This is just for convenience and has no bearing on the actual process.
- Create a new folder in your desktop and drag the software installer in the folder. If you can’t create a new folder in Windows 10, then take a look at this step-by-step guide that will help you fix the issue.
- Open the folder and Right click > New > Text Document.
- Open the text file you just created and write this code:
- Here SteamSetup is to be replaced with the name of the particular installer that you wish to install.
- Save the text file with the .bat extension in the same folder location. For that, click on File > Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, replace the .txt file extension with .bat.
- Click on Save.
- Close the Steam.bat file.
Your next step will be to double click on the bat file to launch the installation process. Follow on-screen instructions and the software will get installed as usual. It’s that simple and easy.
If you’re interested in how to install unsigned drivers on Windows 10, read this article to get all the info that you need.
If you have any more questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we will certainly check them out.
Meanwhile, here are some additional resources to go through:
- Full Fix: Access Denied error on Windows 10 administrator account
- VPN blocked by administrator? Here’s how to fix it
- You need administrator permission to delete this folder [FIX]
Windows 10 May update packs a lot of changes. Some of them are visual, other are performance or security related. It’s already a known fact […]
Intel Optane memory is a smart technology that keeps track of your frequently used apps, documents, pictures, and videos and remembers them after shutdown. This […]
The Windows Snipping tool, now replaced by the Snip and Sketch tool is a handy tool and allows the users to take quick and delayed […]