- If you don't have access to your admin password anymore, you can easily get it back using password recovery tools for Windows 10 and other solutions for Windows 7
- You can install not only software without admin rights but also games like Minecraft
- To get the UAC panel out of your way, you can always open files and run programs as admin by making simple tweaks to your operating system
Often you might be faced with the situation where you need to install a software on a Windows 10 PC but you don’t have admin rights on that PC. And without being an administrator, you have zero rights to install a software on the PC.
While the above happens to be a security feature designed to prevent just about anyone to do anything with your PC, there sure is a workaround here so that you can install a software even if you are not the admin on the Windows 10 device.
Steps to install software without admin rights on Windows 10
Contrary to what you might be thinking, the process is really simple and easy. And its quick too. Here are the steps.
- Download the software, say Steam that you wish to install on a Windows 10 PC. It is recommended that you set the download location to desktop for convenience. Else, if it gets downloaded in the Download folder, as is the usual case, drag it to your desktop. This is just for convenience and has no bearing on the actual process.
- Create a new folder in your desktop and drag the software installer in the folder. If you can’t create a new folder in Windows 10, then take a look at this step-by-step guide that will help you fix the issue.
- Open the folder and Right click > New > Text Document.
- Open the text file you just created and write this code:
- Here SteamSetup is to be replaced with the name of the particular installer that you wish to install.
- Save the text file with the .bat extension in the same folder location. For that, click on File > Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, replace the .txt file extension with .bat.
- Click on Save.
- Close the Steam.bat file.
Your next step will be to double click on the bat file to launch the installation process. Follow on-screen instructions and the software will get installed as usual. It’s that simple and easy.
If you’re interested in how to install unsigned drivers on Windows 10, read this article to get all the info that you need.
If you have any more questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we will certainly check them out.
How can I get the administrator password?
If you lost or forgot your admin password, check out easy solutions to recover your Windows 10 password.
How do I remove the administrator account?
To remove the administrator account from your PC, you have to reset the Windows password and set up a new admin password.
How to install Origin without admin rights?
To install Origin without admin rights, just follow the steps written in this article and replace Steam with Origin.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.