FIX: Can’t install anything on my Windows 10 PC
Windows 10 is the latest operating software most Windows computer users are currently on, but it seems to be one of the most troublesome too with the numerous issues and concerns raised since its release.
Among the issues that affect users and that they find annoying is when they can’t install anything on Windows 10. Most of the complaints from Windows 10 users over installations on the OS include configuration changes, and parts of their computers stop working especially after upgrading to the new operating system, while others say apps just disappear without notice – the list is endless.
However, this article looks at what to do when you can’t install anything on Windows 10, something that could be caused due to software conflicts, and other underlying issues.
Without further ado, here are some of the solutions you can try when you can’t install anything on Windows 10.
Windows 10 won’t let me install anything
- General troubleshooting
- Check security settings
- Use a Windows 10 fix it tool
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Check if Windows Update services is running
- Run DISM tool
- Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
1. General troubleshooting
- Run an online malware/virus scan on your computer
- Right click on the set up of the file you’re trying to install, select Run as administrator and see if the installation works
- Run SFC Scan
2. Check security settings
- Log into Windows as administrator
- Click Start and choose Settings.
- Click on Update & Security.
- Go the last option on the left For developers and check the settings there. You may have Windows Store apps selected.
- Change it to Sideload apps
3. Use Windows 10’s Fix It tool
This helps automatically repair issues like corrupted registry keys that may block you from installing anything on Windows 10. To do this:
- Click Download to get the fix it tool
- In File Download box, click Run or Open and follow the instructions in Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
Note: If you’re not on the computer that has the install issue, save the fix it tool to a flash drive or CD, then run it on that computer.
This fixes corrupted registry keys on 64-bit OS, or those that control update data, issues preventing new program installs or existing programs from complete updates or uninstalls, as well as problems blocking you from uninstalling a program from the Control Panel.
4. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Type troubleshooting in the search box and click Troubleshooting from the search results
- Click View all
- Click Windows Update and select Next then follow the instructions to run this troubleshooter
5. Check if Windows Update services is running
- Right click Start and select Run
- Type services.msc
- Find Windows Update service under the Services window and see if it is running
- If it isn’t running, right click on it and click Start to start the service.
— RELATED: Fix: Can’t install iCloud on Windows 10
6. Run DISM tool
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool fixes Windows corruption errors that may be existing when you can’t install anything on Windows 10. To do this:
- Click the search bar and type CMD
- From search results, right click command prompt and select Run as administrator
- Type exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press enter
7. Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
- Type UAC in the search box
- Click Change User Account Control settings from search results.
- To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify
- Click OK.
- To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level
- Click OK.
- Reboot your computer to effect the changes
Note: Turn UAC on after checking, as it can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer, and notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer that require administrator-level permission. These types of changes can affect your computer’s security or other people’s settings on your computer. Leave it to help make your computer secure.
Let us know if you have any further issues or if you found a solution among these listed here by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Download and install Windows 10, 8 GadgetsPack with ease
- FIX: Windows installation encountered an unexpected error
- “Error 5: Access is denied” software installation error in Windows [FIX]
Some people encountered an issue with HP Audio Switch after installing the Windows 10 May Update. As one user describes the issue on the official […]
Cisco VPN is a great virtual private network software, but many users reported that Cisco VPN Client won’t install on their PC at all. This […]
Microsoft 7rolled out a new cumulative update for Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 version 1607. This recent release bumps the current version of OS […]