- Because users need to keep their personal information safe, this article will present the most secure options for installing Windows 11 without data loss.
- Let us remind you that you can easily do it by using Windows Insider Program.
- You'll also be able to achieve your goal with a virtual machine workstation.
More and more users seem to be interested in upgrading their OS. In these terms, they frequently asked if it is possible to install Windows 11 without data loss, and the answer is yes!
Before anything else, ensure that you get it correctly, so do not hesitate to check out this complete guide on how to download Windows 11.
However, if you notice that your PC can’t run Windows 11, read some methods on how to solve this error with ease.
Data loss is a serious problem, especially in the business environment, because it consumes time and sometimes even money to restore or recover information. But let’s take a look at some popular causes of losing data.
What are the most common reasons for data loss?
Data loss can be caused by many different factors, and each poses a unique problem for data recovery:
- Human errors – We all make mistakes, some of them bigger than others. Without realizing it, you can overwrite important files or delete essential information.
- Malware and viruses – These can sometimes corrupt your operating system, stealing important data. Thus, you should keep your antivirus software constantly updated.
- Hardware damage – Plenty of data loss cases happended because hardware malfunctions. Hard drive failing is the most common explanation to this and there are signs you should consider, such as: frequent hard drive crashes, slow processing speeds, files not opening or being randomly corrupted.
- Software corruption – It seems like unexpected or improper software shutdowns can cause serious issues for your data. These will lead to data corruption or will simply delete your progress, wasting time and losing valuable information.
- Hard drive formatting – Last, but not least, consider that you can accidentally format your hard drive, which can cause instantly losing data. Note that reformatting can also occur during system updates and result related troubles.
Today we’re going to show you some easy ways to install Windows 11 without data loss.
How can I install Windows 11 without data loss?
1. Use the Windows Insider Program
- Hit the Windows key, search for Settings, then open it.
- Go to Update & Security.
- From the left window pane, choose Windows Insider Program, then click on the Get started button.
- Wait a few seconds, then select to Link an account.
- Choose the Microsoft account option, then click on Continue.
- Enter your Microsoft email, then your password.
- Follow the on-screen instructions, then pick your Insider settings, and click on the Confirm button (We recommend choosing the Dev Channel).
- Click again on Confirm.
- You’ll be required to reboot your PC, so click on Restart now.
- After restarting your computer, open again Windows Settings.
- Go to Update & Security, then click on Check for updates.
- This option should show you the Windows 11 Insider Preview available update.
- After the downloading process is completed, click on the Restart now button.
Windows Insider Program gives you the chance to test out Windows 11 and get more familiar with its capabilities. However, if you’re not happy with this option, you can always check how to leave the Windows Insider Program.
2. Use a VM
- Download VMware Workstation.
- Install it by following the on-screen instructions, then restart your PC.
- Create a Windows 10 ISO file (If you don’t have a Windows 10 ISO file already, you can create one by using the Windows Media Creation Tool).
- Setup your Virtual Machine.
- Open Command Prompt to check your PC’s virtualization, then enable it.
- Install Windows 10 on your Virtual Machine.
- Join Windows Insider Program, as you learned from the first presented option.
For more detailed information, check out this guide on how to run Windows 11 on VM and test it to the limit.
3. Use an ISO file
- Access the official page of Microsoft Windows 11 Preview Build (to do this, you’ll need to log into your Insider account, and set into the Dev Channel).
- Select the Windows 11 edition.
- The download will start and you will get the Windows 11 ISO.
- Now you will have to make a bootable USB or DVD with it.
How to prevent losing data in Windows 11?
You’ve seen at the beginning of this article some of the most common reasons for data loss, so here’s how to prevent such annoying situations.
- Use antivirus software – Be sure to use and to constantly update antivirus software on your OS. If you can’t decide which one is the most efficient, check these antivirus options for Windows 11 you should try out today.
- Always keep your computer clean and dry – As we mentioned before, you might be losing data due to hardware and hard drive crashes. Thus, to mantain them safe, running properly, you have to ensure that your PC is avoiding any liquids or dirt.
- Backup your data – This option might be the most useful one because it guarantees success in any situation, no matter how scarry it is. There are plenty of methods to do that, such as using an USB stick, external hard drive or Cloud Storage.
As you can see, there are some available and simple ways to install Windows 11 without losing important data. We ensured to deliver only the most secure options so you won’t get into trouble.
Any other thoughts related to this subject? If so, do not hesitate to leave a comment in the section below.