Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
- Many are wondering if they can use a single Windows 10 license on multiple PC.
- There are many limitations in this regard, so be sure to properly educate yourself.
While Windows is great software, you’ll need a license to use it. However, many users asked: can I use the same Windows product key on multiple computers?
Before starting, why not check our guide on how to find the Windows product key using the Command Prompt? To learn more about the product keys and Windows, keep on reading.
Can I use one Windows 10 key on two computers?
The short answer is no. You can’t use the same account on multiple devices. It’s clearly stated in the Terms of Service when installing Windows:
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
So, there you have it – you will need a license key for every computer.
Can I reuse my Windows 10 key on a new SSD?
- Yes, you can reuse the key on a new SSD drive as long as it’s on the same computer.
- This means you can move Windows to another drive, which will be activated.
- For this to work, your license key is stored in BIOS, so Windows will remain activated unless you change your motherboard.
- This means that you can freely replace any components such as storage device, memory, or GPU without any issues.
What happens if I use my Windows 10 key twice?
- It’s not possible to use Windows 10 key twice.
- The activation process will fail and detect that the key is already activated.
- However, if you deactivate the first device, you can reuse the key on a different one.
How many times a Windows product key can be used?
- The key can be used only on one device at a time.
- There is no limit on how often the product key can be used.
- The only limitation is that it can be active only on a single device at a time.
So you can see, there are no limitations as long as you keep just a single device activated at the time.
Is Windows 10 activation permanent?
- Yes, the activation is permanent, for the most part.
- In case you change your motherboard, you might have to reactivate Windows.
- However, this can be done without purchasing a new license.
We hope this guide answered all your questions about using the same Windows product key on multiple computers.
The only problematic situation is the case where you replaced your computer motherboard. We have a dedicated guide on how to activate Windows 10 if you replaced your motherboard.
What are your thoughts on Windows activation and license keys? Let us know in the comments section below.