- In this article, we are going to show you can to find your Windows Key.
- The fastest way that this can be done with no technical knowledge required is via CMD or PowerShell.
If you’re planning to reinstall Windows, you’ll need your activation key to activate it again, and in this article, we’ll show you how to find the Windows product key using cmd or PowerShell.
You can find your key on your PC sticker, but that’s not always the case, especially if you have built your own PC or bought it without the operating system. Finding the product key is simple and will take you less than two minutes. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to find the product key on Windows 10?
1. Retrieve the product key in CMD
- In the Windows search box type cmd, right-click the result, and choose Run as administrator. If you can’t start Command Prompt as administrator, check out our guide on how to fix it.
- In the cmd window, type
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
and hit Enter.
- Your Windows product key will show up. It’s in the form of XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.
2. Retrieve the product key in PowerShell
- Right-click on Start and click on Windows PowerShell (Admin).
- In the PowerShell window, type
powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"
and hit Enter.
- Your Windows product key will shortly appear.
That’s it. Now you can change your computer, reinstall the Windows, or activate it with your Product key.
In the same way, you may find the key on a sticker on your PC or even in an email from Microsoft if you bought the license from the Microsoft store.
These simple methods work every time and will certainly work for you. Just follow the steps, and you’ll get your product key in no time.
Remember that you must always keep your Windows computer’s product key, license type, serial number, and Product ID handy for emergencies.
If you have any other questions regarding the Windows product key, please leave them in the comments section below.