- Gamers all over the world are thrilled about Xbox Game Pass and what it has to offer. It is only natural to start asking questions when it comes to functionnalities and features.
- For instance, many users were eager to know if games from Game Pass could or could not be installed on a different drive, other than the primary one.
- The short answer will be: yes, this is feasible. However, there are few tricks one must keep in mind when performing this action. Check out our guide below and learn everything there is to know about it.
- Did we just work up your appetite? Explore our Gaming Software hub and get up to date with everything involving games and technology.
With the rise in popularity of the Xbox Game Pass and the launch of the Beta version of the Xbox app installer, users have started asking questions regarding the functionality of various games.
One question that seems to be on a lot of users’ minds though is this: Can you install Xbox Game Pass game on a Windows 10 secondary drive?
This question also stems from the fact that several users have already reported encountering issues when trying to install games on drives other than the primary one.
Because all Xbox Game Pass games are technically downloaded from the Microsoft Store, the way they are treated as far as installation and storage location is concerned is pretty much the same as with your typical Store Apps.
This means that while some games can be installed on secondary drives, others can only be installed on your primary drive.
This is mostly because the latter requires more user data and permission rights, which they can only receive by being installed on the primary drive.
It can also be a simple matter of rule definition on behalf of the game’s developer when he made it available on the Microsoft Store.
Whichever the case, if you’re having storage space issues on your primary drive and installing Xbox Game Pass games on a Windows 10 secondary drive is a must, you should consider changing the default install location of all your apps and games.
Steps to install Xbox Game Pass games on a secondary drive
For a step-by-step guide on how to change the default location for future game and app installations, follow the instructions at the end of this guide.
Following these steps will allow Xbox Game Pass games as well as regular games and apps to be installed on your secondary drive by default.
However, if you encounter a title that can only be installed on a primary drive, at least you will be prompted beforehand, and you can then choose the best course of action.
Alternatively, you can also consider reinstalling the Xbox app installer.
FAQ: Learn more about Xbox Game Pass games
- How do I get Xbox game pass on my PC?
You can simply download Xbox Game Pass games from the Microsoft Store. If for some reason you are unable to load the Store, here‘s what you need to do.
- Can you still play games after Xbox game pass expires?
Even if the game remains installed on your PC, you won’t be able to play it once the Xbox Game Pass subscription expires. You need to extend your subscription or purchase the game.
- Can I play Game Pass games offline?
Yes, but there is a catch. You can only do so for up to 30 days. After that, you will be prompted to reconnect your PC to the internet in order to have it verified for an active subscription.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020, for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.