Full Fix: INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT error in Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death is one of more serious errors on every PC. There is wide range of BSoD errors, and they can be caused by a faulty hardware or even a bad driver.
A number of Windows 10 users reported INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT BSoD error, and if you’re having this error try using some of our solutions bellow.
How to fix INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT BSoD error?
- Remove Synaptics touchpad driver
- Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Run DISM
- Uninstall your antivirus software
- Uninstall any recently installed application
- Make sure Windows 10 is up to date
- Check your hardware
Steps to fix INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT error
Solution 1 – Remove Synaptics touchpad driver
INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT error can sometimes be caused by a bad driver, and in order to fix it you need to remove that driver.
According to the users, the common cause for this error is Synaptics touchpad driver, therefore it’s advised that you remove it. To remove that driver, you need to do the following:
- Open Device Manager. You can do that by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Device Manager from the list.
- Once the Device Manager opens, you need to locate Synaptics touchpad driver, right click it and choose Uninstall from the menu.
After uninstalling the driver, your touchpad might not work, but the issue with Blue Screen of Death should be resolved. Some users are also advising to try updating the Synaptics touchpad driver to the latest version, so you might want to try that before removing the driver completely.
In order to update the driver, you need to download the latest version from Synaptics website or from your laptop manufacturer. Alternatively, you can simply update it right from the Device Manager.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 2 – Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
The next thing we’re going to try is running Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooter. This tool can deal with various system-related issues, including the BSOD errors. So, it might be helpful for resolving the INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT error.
Here’s how to run the BSOD troubleshooter in Windows 10:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 3 – Run the SFC scan
Another troubleshooter we’re going to try is the SFC scan. This command line tool goes through your system in search for potential errors and problems. And resolves them automatically, if the solutions is possible.
Here’s how to run the SFC scan in Windows 10:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Solution 4 – Run DISM
And finally, the third troubleshooting tool we’re going to try is DISM. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) reloads the system image, so potential BSOD issues may get resolved.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- Standard way
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
Solution 5 – Uninstall your antivirus software
Number of users reported that this issue was caused by antivirus software, and in order to fix INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT BSoD error they had to uninstall their current antivirus software. Users reported that AVG and Avast antivirus are usually the cause for this error, but even if you don’t use any of these tools, you can try uninstalling your antivirus software.
It’s not recommended to use a Windows 10 without an antivirus software, and if you need a new antivirus software, feel free to check the list of best antivirus programs for Windows 10.
Solution 6 – Uninstall any recently installed application
Sometimes these errors can be caused by a third-party application, and if you installed any software recently, that recently installed application can be the cause for INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT error. We advise you to check the list of installed software and to remove any software that you installed in the past week or so, since the software might not be fully compatible with your PC.
Solution 7 – Make sure Windows 10 is up to date
Sometimes these errors can occur if Windows 10 is out of date, so before you try to fix this issue, make sure that you have the latest updates installed. By installing the latest updates, you’ll fix any potential compatibility issues.
Solution 8 – Check your hardware
In worst case scenario INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT error can be caused by a faulty hardware. Few users reported that this issue was caused by a faulty hard drive, but bear in mind the issue can be caused by any other hardware component of your PC.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
INVALID PROCESS ATTACH ATTEMPT is a problematic BSoD error, but we hope that our solutions were helpful to you and that you managed to fix this issue.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Kernel Power 41 Error on Windows 10
- Fix: BUGCODE_NDIS_DRIVER error on Windows 10
- Fix: CANCEL_STATE_IN_COMPLETED_IRP error on Windows 10
- Fix: Wdf_violation BSoD error on Windows 10
- Fix NTFS_File_System Error on Windows 10
USB flash drives (pen drives, flash sticks) almost completely moved disks out of the picture. They are fast, you can write anything you want whenever […]
Using speech instead of typing has more than one advantage. Lots of users strongly prefer dictation and, even though it’s still unbrushed feature, it’s getting […]