- iTunes has an invalid signature is one of the most common errors with this app.
- Usually, it can be solved by reinstalling the app, but below we're showing you more solutions.
- Want to know more useful articles related to this popular app? See our iTunes page.
- For sure you'll find even more interesting material in our Web Apps collection of articles.
iTunes is one of the most popular music players in the world, but many users reported getting the error iTunes has invalid signature on Windows 10.
Usually, this error message appears when your computer cannot detect the digital signature in order to download the application or program.
The purpose of the digital signature is to authenticate the applications or programs in order to protect users from malware. Usually, Windows faces some difficulties with iTunes updates and shows the error message every time you’re trying to update the software.
The good thing is that we have some great solutions on how you can solve this issue.
How to fix iTunes invalid signature error on Windows 10?
- Press Windows key + R, type in appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Uninstall the following programs accordingly (If you’re required to restart your computer after each uninstall, please do so. Then continue with uninstalling the others):
- Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support 32-bit/64-bit
- Go to Common Files – Apple and delete the following directories:
- Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Download the latest version of iTunes.
- When the download is complete right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- Follow the instructions you receive on the screen to complete the installation.
Attention: Make sure that you download the correct version of iTunes that fits your computer, a 32-bit or a 64-bit version, respectively.
You should use a dedicated uninstaller to ensure that all files related to these applications are completely removed. This way, you also make sure that they won’t interfere with the latest app.
On this note, we recommend Revo Uninstaller, which not only deletes the unwanted apps, but it also scans the system for whatever file related to the respective apps is left behind.
So with Revo, you make sure that the multiple files, folders, and/or Registry entries of the respective program are not left on your system.
Both the installation of this tool and further use are extremely intuitive and can be done in just a couple of steps. Plus, you can also use the tool to remove various browser extensions and clean your PC to optimize its processes.
Don't let the traces of uninstalled programs interfere with other apps. Uninstall them with Revo Uninstaller.
2. Use the Apple Software Update tool
- First, you’ll have to press Windows + R. Enter appwiz.cpl in the box and press Enter. This will open Control Panel.
- Select Apple Software Update from the list. Right-click it and choose Repair.
- Now Windows should complete the repair process.
- Restart your computer and Update iTunes again (it might be necessary to disable your antivirus software when you’re trying to update iTunes).
The Apple Software Update is the main application that manages updates for all of Apple’s apps installed. So, it is possible that the update software has become corrupt, and that’s causing the error iTunes has invalid signature.
3. Change security settings
- Enter Windows + R and enter inetcpl.cpl in the dialog box. Press Enter.
- You’ll get to the Internet Options. Go to the Advanced tab, scroll down to Security category.
- Check the box for Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid.
- Press Apply to save changes and close this window, then Restart your computer.
- Open the iTunes app and log into your account. Press Help on the top of the window -> choose Check for Updates. Now check if the error message is showing up again, but hopefully, it won’t.
ATTENTION: After you have tried this solution, please make sure that you always turn this feature back off. It may be very harmful for your computer to download everything without any security checking.
As you might have noticed, the error iTunes has an invalid signature error can be problematic, but we hope that you solved it by using one of our solutions.
If so, we’d like to hear what worked for you. Use the dedicated section below to stay in touch with us.
Frequently Asked Questions
An invalid signature detected by iTunes means that the app can’t detect the digital signature used to authenticate the application. This signature protects users from viruses or malware.
When iTunes detects an invalid signature, you can expect the app not to open. One solution would be to uninstall and reinstall the app.
An iTunes unsuccessful installation is one of the most common errors of this app. Since there is no strict solution, you can only try several ones, until you find the one that works for you.