iTunes is one of the most popular music players in the world, but many users reported iTunes has invalid signature error on Windows 10. Usually this error message appears when your computer cannot detect the digital signature in order to download the application or program.
The purpose of the digital signature is to authenticate the applications or programs in order to protect users from malware. Usually, Windows faces some difficulties with iTunes updates and shows the error message every time you’re trying to update the software.
The good thing is that we have some great solutions on how you can solve this issue.
How to fix iTunes update Invalid signature error on Windows 10?
1. Apple software update repair
This is the first solution, the easiest and maybe the best one. Apple Software Update is the main application that manages updates for all of Apple’s apps installed. So, it is possible that the update software has become corrupt, and that’s causing the iTunes has invalid signature error.
You’ll have to use the Repair option in order to fix this issue, which you’ll find on your Control Panel. This option will repair any problems related to the Apple Software Update.
- First, you’ll have to press Windows + R. Enter appwiz.cpl in the box and press Enter.
- Select Apple Software Update from the list. Right-click it and choose Repair.
- Now Windows should complete the repair process.
- Restart your computer and Update iTunes again (it might be necessary to disable your antivirus software when you’re trying to update iTunes).
2. Change security settings
Usually, all the downloads from the applications are checked by Windows before the download starts. This way, Windows gets to check their digital signature. So, if something is not right, that’s when the downloading process will stop and the error message iTunes has an invalid signature will pop up.
To avoid this error in the future, you need to modify your security settings by doing the following:
- Enter Windows + R and enter inetcpl.cpl in the dialog box. Press Enter.
- You’ll be now in Internet Options -> Go to Advanced tab -> Scroll down to Security category.
- Check the box for Allow software to run or install even if the signature is invalid.
- Press Apply to save changes and close this window -> Restart your computer.
- Go on iTunes -> Log in into your account -> Press Help on the top of the window -> Choose Check for Updates -> Now check if the error message is showing up again, but hopefully, it won’t.
ATTENTION: After you have tried this solution, please make sure that you always turn this feature back on. It may be very harmful for your computer to download everything without any security checking.
3. Uninstall and reinstall iTunes
If the two solutions mentioned above didn’t work for you, we still have another one. So, you can install the update by downloading it manually using Apple’s official website. The first step that you should make is to uninstall the current version of iTunes that you have on your computer and then install the new one.
Attention: Please make sure that you have created a back up of all of your important data and documents concerning iTunes. After you’ll have to log in again and you’ll need all the information required.
- Press Windows key + R -> Write appwiz.cpl in the box -> Press Enter.
- Uninstall the following programs accordingly (If you’re required to restart your computer after each uninstall, please do so. Then continue with uninstalling the others):
- Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support 32-bit/64-bit
- Go to Common Files – Apple and delete the following directories:
- Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Download the latest version of iTunes from the official website.
- When the download is complete right-click it and select Run as administrator.
- Follow the instructions you receive on the screen to complete the installation.
Attention: Please make sure that you download the correct version of iTunes that fits your computer. Choose 32-bit version if your computer has a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit if it has 64-bit operation system.
Alternatively, you can uninstall these applications completely by using uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller. By using the dedicated uninstaller, you’ll ensure that all files related to these applications are completely removed and stop any future issues from appearing.
iTunes has invalid signature error can be problematic, but we hope that you solved it by using one of our solutions.
- How to find and change iTunes backup location in Windows 10
- How to fix iTunes crashes in Windows 10, 8
- Best software to fix your iTunes library in Windows 10