- Are you getting a loadlibrary 1114 error when trying to open a program in Windows? The error message can pop up fairly randomly on laptops that incorporate AMD Switchable Graphics or NVIDIA Optimus tech. This is how you can fix error 1114 in Windows 10.
- The best fix for error 1114 is usually to adjust the Switchable Dynamic Graphics global settings to maximum. Learn how to do that from our guide below.
- Drivers are a huge source of errors so if you got this kind of problem, it's safe to go to our Corrupted Driver section and look for a solution.
- Or you can take it to the next level and head straight to our Windows 10 errors Hub. That's our giant vault with fixes and guides for Windows 10 errors.
Are you getting a loadlibrary 1114 error when trying to open a program in Windows?
The loadlibrary 1114 error message states, LoadLibrary failed with error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.
The error message can pop up fairly randomly on laptops that incorporate AMD Switchable Graphics or NVIDIA Optimus tech. This is how you can fix error 1114 in Windows 10.
How can I fix error 1114: Loadlibrary failed?
- Adjust the Switchable Dynamic Graphics Setting in Windows
- Adjust Switchable Graphics With AMD Settings
- Adjust Optimus With NVIDIA Settings
- Update Graphics Cards’ Drivers
1. Adjust the Switchable Dynamic Graphics Setting in Windows
AMD’s Switchable Graphics tech utilizes a discrete graphics adapter for 3D graphics and an integrated graphics adapter to preserve laptop battery.
Optimus is NVIDIA’s equivalent of Switchable Dynamic Graphics for laptops with NVIDIA GPUs.
The best fix for error 1114 is usually to adjust the Switchable Dynamic Graphics global settings to maximum. This is how you can adjust the Switchable Dynamic Graphics setting in Windows 10.
- Press the Win key + X hotkey to open the Win + X menu in Windows 10.
- Click Power Options to open the Settings window.
- Click Additional power settings to open the Control Panel options shown directly below.
- Click Change plan settings to open further display options.
- Next, click Change advanced power settings to open a separate Power Options window.
- Click Switchable Dynamic Graphics and expand Global Settings.
- Select Maximize performance from the On battery drop-down menu.
- Select Maximize performance from the Plugged in drop-down menu.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons to save the newly selected settings.
2. Adjust Switchable Graphics With AMD Settings
Alternatively, you can configure Switchable Graphics for a specific Windows program returning the error 1114 instead of adjusting global settings.
You can do that for AMD GPUs by right-clicking the desktop and selecting AMD Radeon Settings on the context menu.
- Select Preferences > Additional Settings to open further options.
- Click Power to select Switchable Graphics Application Settings, which opens a list of recent applications.
- Select the software that’s returning error 1114.
- Then select High Performance from the program’s Graphics Setting drop-down menu.
- If the software isn’t listed, press the Add Application button and then select the required program.
- Press the Apply button.
3. Adjust Optimus With NVIDIA Settings
- You can also adjust the NVIDIA Optimus settings for a specific program. To do that, right-click the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Select Manage 3D Settings under 3D settings.
- Then click View and select the Add Run with graphics processor Option to Context Menu option on the menu.
- Then you can right-click the program’s shortcut icon and select a Run with graphics processor submenu.
- Select the High-performance NVIDIA processor option on the submenu.
4. Update Graphics Cards’ Drivers
The 1114 error can also be due to graphics card drivers. As such, update the drivers for both the discrete and integrated graphics cards if your laptop has two GPUs. This is how you can update graphics card drivers in Windows 10.
- First, note down your OS platform and graphics card details. You can check those details by pressing the Win key + R hotkey entering ‘dxdiag’ in Run’s text box to open the window directly below.
- Click the Display tab to note down the title of your graphics card. The System tab includes OS details.
- Next, open your graphic card manufacturer’s website in a browser.
- Now open the drivers or downloads section on the site.
- Select your graphics card and platform from the drop-down menus if the site includes menus. Alternatively, enter the graphics card in the website’s search box.
- Select to download the latest driver for your graphics card that’s compatible with your platform.
- After downloading the driver, open the folder you saved the driver to in File Explorer.
- Right-click the driver’s installer and select Run as administrator on the context menu.
- Then you can select custom or express install options on the installer’s window to add the new driver to Windows.
Update drivers automatically
Keep in mind that downloading and updating drivers manually from the manufacturer’s website can damage your system by choosing and installing the wrong driver version.
In order to prevent that, we strongly suggest to do it automatically by using Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool.
This tool is approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus and will help you not damaging your PC by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best automatized solution. Below you can find a quick guide on how to do it.
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the Update driver link next to the driver name. Or simply click the Update all button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the Update button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
Those are a few resolutions that will resolve the loadlibrary 1114 error. Adjusting the preferred GPU to the high-performance one usually fixes the issue. Switching 3D acceleration off might also fix the 1114 error. If you have further fixes and suggestions for the loadlibrary 1114 error, please share them below.
FAQ: Read more about the loadlibrary failed with 1114 error
- What is loadlibrary failed with 1114 error?
The error message loadlibrary failed with 1114 error can pop up fairly randomly on laptops that incorporate AMD Switchable Graphics or NVIDIA Optimus tech.
- How do I fix LoadLibrary failed with error 1114?
- How do I fix LoadLibrary failed with error 126?
Update the graphics adapter driver to the latest version using the manufacturer’s website, and uninstall the ATI Chrystal Control Center application via the Windows Control panel.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.