Will I lose files when upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
One of the most common questions people upgrading their systems is: will I lose my files after the Anniversary Update? Well, for Windows 10’s Anniversary Update, the answer is pretty clear: You won’t lose a single file after the upgrade, nothing to worry about.
Of course, that only applies if you choose to install the Anniversary Update via Windows Update. If you use this method to update your Windows 10 version to 1607, Windows Update will just install necessary system files without affecting your data. Even your Sticky Notes will remain.
The only way to actually lose files and data after installing the Anniversary Update is to perform a clean install using an ISO file and format the hard drive you have data on. Even after that, not everything is lost, because Windows 10 stores data from the previous OS in Windows.old folder, so those who accidentally formatted the drive can get their files back.
Bottom line: Don’t hesitate to upgrade your system to Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Even if it somehow manages to delete your files, there’s a way to get them back.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 v1607 update KB3176929 now available to all Insiders
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update blocks disabling of Cortana
- Is my computer ready for Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
- Upgrade to Windows 10 for free using this loophole
- What to expect from Microsoft Edge in the Anniversary Update for Windows 10